• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ladywood Road

Shortie

master brummie
Can anyone tell me where on Ladywood Road this photograph was taken please? Is the road with the Cadbury's advertisement Friston Street by any chance? This shows that Ladywood Road was a holloway at one time, but where was the raised pavement?

I think this is the area which part of my family lived. The photo was in an album collected between 1905 and 1920 by a gt gt aunt, and I suspect it was to illustrate their home ground, so to speak.

Shortie

Shortie
It cannot be Friston road leading off, as this is almost opposite Francis road, and there is no road opposite. the turning must be Morville St, as the road is turning to the left slighgtly a little further on and the pavement is elevated for a short distance. You can see a similar elevation for a short distance on the map , where this is indicated by having a solid line between the pavement and road, rather than a dotted one. This makes the pub on the opposite shop to the corner you mention the Eagle & Ball . The shop is no 69 and is listed :
1900 Arthur Nicholls
1903-08 Thomas Onions
1912-21 Mrs Minnie Heybeard

mike

map_junc__ladywood_road__morville_st__c_1914.jpg

Definitely Morville Street, the raised bit of the pavement can still be seen on this modern day picture, the original raised pavement complete with original railings were still there up until the redevelopment of the Children’s Hospital a few years ago. Morville Street can be seen to the left of this photo.

Thanks Dave for the current photo - brilliant. Thanks Mike for the full explanation, it is a great help. My gran was brought up by her aunt after her mother died and they lived in many properties, the last couple being along Ladywood Road, but cannot remember the numbers offhand. They also had a shop in Friston Street, but not for long. To John - yes, the photo is brilliant I agree. The album it came out of is full of postcard style birthday cards, some of which have brought a tear to my eye - from my gran to her aunt, whom she called 'Mother'. The sentiments are a bit slushy, but they are wonderful reminders of a less complicated life. I just hope my daughters will wish to keep them and not trash them once I have departed.

Shortie

Back