• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

LADYWOOD ROAD OFF MONUMENT ROAD

hi folks i have set of photos that i dont think i have posted yet so hope they prove of interest to members...hover over them to see dates taken and in some cases the numbers...i thought photo 14 was interesting as it shows a domestic employment agency..all gone now ;
brilliant pics.Thank you for posting them. lyn

Again another set of important photos. Nothing has survived along the road (only the Edgbaston Telephone Exchange- don’t know the date of the building). Today it all looks characterless, unlike the old photos. Viv.

Again another set of important photos. Nothing has survived along the road (only the Edgbaston Telephone Exchange- don’t know the date of the building). Today it all looks characterless, unlike the old photos. Viv.
[/QUOTe

quite agree viv..as i would say no soul:(

hi folks i have set of photos that i dont think i have posted yet so hope they prove of interest to members...hover over them to see dates taken and in some cases the numbers...i thought photo 14 was interesting as it shows a domestic employment agency..all gone now :(

lynView attachment 146115View attachment 146116View attachment 146117View attachment 146118View attachment 146119View attachment 146120View attachment 146121View attachment 146122View attachment 146123View attachment 146124View attachment 146125View attachment 146126View attachment 146127View attachment 146128View attachment 146129View attachment 146130View attachment 146131
The first picture 'Security Scaffolds' I would suggest is Spring Hill. George st west is behind the photographer and Steward st can be seen at the end of the shops to the right.

There is much of interest in the photographs. I knew Ladywood Road as I often was in the area visiting a relation and the Oratory. Ladywood Road, from 1904 until 1947 was part of the 33 tram route from Navigation Street to a junction with Dudley Road. The memorable places were the Children's Hospital - where I spent a little while during the blitz - and the Chamberlain Gardens.
In the photos posted by Lyn my attention was drawn to the lamp posts and traction poles which had at least three types of shades, square, rectangular and round. The Crown Stores, in Monument Road catered for all it seems. Ansells, M&B, Whitbread and for teetotallers there was tea and Coca-Cola. ;)
Was Johnsons Fruit Market in Ladywood Road? It seems to have gas lighting, as does Grosvenor Street West.
The Beaufort Garage looks like it might have been a pub or inn at one time. It was noticeable - a couple of photographs support that fact - that despite the run down appearance of most buildings those that had gardens, principally small ones, were generally looked after with a flowers which did brighten the place up a little.

• #17 Bob Johnson posted this in another thread - entitled Not Making Anymore.
Spring Hill.
Where Spring Hill library now stands there used to be a 'spring well', this was supposed to have curative propert
ies.

I have seen the area referred to as St. Mary's Wood but that, I believe is a later (post reformation name). I suggest it would have been Our Lady's Wood, hence the name we have now.

The first picture 'Security Scaffolds' I would suggest is Spring Hill. George st west is behind the photographer and Steward st can be seen at the end of the shops to the right.
[/QUOTe

thanks bob..maybe someone with access to kellys could look that up to confirm spring hill..

lyn

The Spring Hill photo is in this thread: Post 18, photo 9

What is in these evocative black and white pictures that we remember but don't see today? The corner shop not a myth or historians joke, but a living entity and look how many there were. Another prominent t corner building was the pub a great many streets had one on the corner. Funny how these pictures have interest and character much as I love the colour pictures of Ell et al that we see today these pictures have atmosphere. I am a lover of the black and white photo. My interest in Ladywood raises from the fact that when Victor Yates was the local MP, my Dad who found that this was not a land fit for heroes and the job he had pre war was not for him post war, so he became the conservative agent for Lady wood, there was a coterie of Tories in Ladywood and I often accompanied him as he toured the ward and of course at elections I helped, delivering leaflets, a runner at polling booths, he was quite succeßful and I made lots of friends in those corner shops and back to backs and got to know Ladywood very well. It was quite a large ward. He also got on very well with Victor Yates, but then Dad found out what the Tories did best, the knife in the back and various promises denied. However he went on to better things and the best job he ever had, until his early death in 1964
Bob

thanks bob nice post..i am just glad i grew up when life was in my humble opinion a lot slower and simpler..streets were full of life..neighbours always ready to help out in times of trouble...pubs were full of people putting the world to rights over game of dominos or darts i could go on...our social history and community spirit has changed so much over the past 50 years and while i do accept we must move on i dont have to like it all :(

bob as you have an interest in ladywood i will check my files as i may have a few more streets and road photos i have not posted yet

lyn

Last edited:
thanks bob nice post..i am just glad i grew up when life was in my humble opinion a lot slower and simpler..streets were full of life..neighbours always ready to help out in times of trouble...pubs were full of people putting the world to rights over game of dominos or darts i could go on...our social history and community spirit has changed so much over the past 50 years and while i do accept we must move on i dont have to like it all :(

bob as you have an interest in ladywood i will check my files as i may have a few more streets and road photos i have not posted yet

lyn
Yes times were different then, people had pride, pride in their home whether back to back or a mansion, pride in their job and it went through every strata of society. Of course jeans and trainers were not common place and my Dad would wear a suit, tie and his trilby to go and see Villa play and the other great thing about those days was family, there was always family around. Perhaps someone can confirm or correct me, but I remember that Rotton Park Road featured in the Ladywood ward somehow, but was surprised last time I was up there to see that it ran into Hagley Road

Bob

hi folks i have set of photos that i dont think i have posted yet so hope they prove of interest to members...hover over them to see dates taken and in some cases the numbers...i thought photo 14 was interesting as it shows a domestic employment agency..all gone now :(

lynView attachment 146115View attachment 146116View attachment 146117View attachment 146118View attachment 146119View attachment 146120View attachment 146121View attachment 146122View attachment 146123View attachment 146124View attachment 146125View attachment 146126View attachment 146127View attachment 146128View attachment 146129View attachment 146130View attachment 146131
Hi Lynn

Hi Lyn, Great photos, thank you. Picture number 7 is actually Ryland Street, which was off Broad Street. I knew it very well, we used all the shops along there at one time. The shop just before Johnson's fruit shop was our Chip Shop. Great 4 penny worth chips!! Keep the photos coming!

thanks for that correction denise...always good if members know the area..posted some of prescott st earlier if you are interested

lyn

lyn

Lyn pic 3 the name Ridout I don't know whether it was this Ridout or another that was on Dudley Road after Ladywood Rd was demolished where I used to go and pay a neighbours hp for her television . Another chestnut back in those days was , imagine a very wet Saturday afternoon I was about 9/10 coming back from the Crown picture house, running through the mud created by demolished houses I came across a particular sticky patch straight through it or so I thought . I then looked down only to see the worst no left shoe . Mom's going to go mad what can she do at 4.30 Saturday afternoon and school on Monday . I was right she hit the ceiling , but as always out she went and come back with a new pair of shoes what a stalwart thanks Mom

Back