• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

LADYWOOD ROAD OFF MONUMENT ROAD

ahh bless yer mom john...in fact bless them all.. very often going without so that we did not :)

lyn

Great photo’s Lyn, working at Spring Hill, I use to attend a dentist on monument road. No 8 route. It’s like every where the changes with time. Thankful for historians and BHF.

Thanks for posting the photos I had several relatives that lived in Ladywood , Ryland / broad street area (Moxon's, Boultons, Callaghans /Masons ) my 3 x great Uncle was Publican of The Station Inn at 24 Ladywood road on the 1901 Census. Its brilliant reading everyone's memories

Sadly my extensive collection of Victorian and Edwardian portraits don't include many street scenes. But here is Daisy Living (who became Daisy Forrester) with her employer Frank Jones outside his ladies' clothes shop at 108 Ladywood Road. It was printed on a postcard and Daisy sent it to my grandparents. for Christmas. Frank must have done these as a business promotion. Early years of last century - the franking doesn't include the date. Anyone care to date it from the hats in his window?

IMG_1731.jpeg

Hi Stokkie, I don't know if you are aware but No. 108 is shown on one of Lyn's pics at the start of the thread.

EDIT: and also on the picture showing the Billiards Hall

Attachments

• Ladywood No 108 -112 Ladywood 20-10-1964 .jpg
    Ladywood No 108 -112 Ladywood 20-10-1964 .jpg
    484 KB · Views: 20
  • 108-ladywood-road-map.jpg
    108-ladywood-road-map.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 22
Hi Stokkie, I don't know if you are aware but No. 108 is shown on one of Lyn's pics at the start of the thread.

EDIT: and also on the picture showing the Billiards Hall
Thank you John,
No, I missed this. I see that there's a narrow entry to the right of 108 too. I never knew Ladywood Road well myself as we lived in Bearwood. Mom brought me to see Reservoir Terrace in about 1963. We mostly visited the Reservoir or Coxwell Road where her old friend lived. I last visited Osler street about 15 years ago.
Derek

He is not listed there in 1910 edition (which probably refers to 1909),, nor in the 1946 edition (probably refers to 1945), but is listed in the 1944 edition

Back