• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ladywood In The 1870s

Roger H

Brummie babby
Hello all

I wonder if anyone can put me right on a major issue I have concerning my great great grandfather's family who lived in Ladywood between 1851 and 1881. He was a blacksmith who moved from Atherstone to Ladywood. I guess there was more work in a growing Birmingham for anyone who wasn't a hatter at the time! I have them living in Tindall Street which, based on my time living in Shirley and working in Birmingham, I think of as being on the Balsall Heath / Moseley border. Even so, and this is one thing that is confusing me, the census returns clearly show this is Ladywood district. The oldest of his three chidren were married within a few months of each other in 1878 in St. John's Church which, if I have my facts right, is definately in Ladywood; this must have been quite a journey at the time.

Can anyone clarify that I have my facts right about Tindall Street. Was, or is it really in Ladywood. I used to play tennis in what I thought was Ladywood but this was some distance from where I understand Tindall Street to be.

I'm an 'ex-pat' now living in North Yorkshire in what the locals think of as God's own county: We all know different of course! I'm planning to bring my son down late in the summer to watch a bit of cricket and footie where I used to go and will be visiting the places mentioned above ... thought I'd better get my facts right first and will be grateful for any help here.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone.

Kind regards to all.

There was a Great Tindall St. in Ladywood. Will scan map and post later.

hi roger
just read your thread with great intrest on the subject of tindal st being out of he area to st johns chuch it was
in fact with in walking distants to the church as i grew up around there nd when i was a little nipper my mates and myself usd to scour the old houses in tindle st just after the war for any think to with war helmets and gas masked and any hink else we could find but also we used to stripp out the window bombs, [ window wieights ]
and take them around to old clarkie scrap yard which was around the block from tindal steet
we got a tanner for each one and there was four in a complete set of bay windows
and we would do all the windows in that house we was getting money for our school trip money just after the war
and the only black smith that sprung to my mind was in steward street which would be about a mile away from tindal street and old billy grith lived two doors from him a ginger haired lad we all went to steward street school in those days
best wishes Astonian ;;;

My word, that was quick. Well you've both certainly got me back to the drawing board with this. Thanks for the map Mike. I wonder if Great Tindall Street has been renamed to avoid confusion. I've just had another look at all the census returns and, with the exception of 1871 when it was recorded as Tyndal Street (an error I'm guessing), there is no reference to 'Great' but it's certainly in Ladywood who's borders would surely would never have extended towards Moseley ... that would have put Edgbaston cricket ground in Ladywood!

Nice little story Astonian. I wonder if you entered my old family home during your days in the area. I notice you've called it Tindall Street ... do you know anything about the relationship between Tindall Street and Great Tindall Street? My great grandfather's name was James Harris but he and all the other Harris's were long since gone when you walked the streets in the area.

Thanks again for your informative and very timely contributions. What a great site this is.

Roger.

That could explain everything Mike, thanks. This means I'm going to have to tell my brother that he's been photographing the Tindall Street! I guess knowing Ladywood as I do (which is actually not that well), there is no chance that any of the Victorian archictecture remains.

Roger.

Hi Roger:Here is some info about St.John's Church, Ladywood. The left hand menu for "Church History" shows a wonderful sketch of the building. https://www.stjohnpeter.org.uk/
You may have seen this already. St. John's and St. Peter's merged together it seems.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back and thank you all for your help here. I was clearly barking up the wrong tree before I came here. I'm planning a trip to the library and St. John's Church in the next few weeks so the information you've given me will help greatly. Thanks to you all.

Any other information about the back to back housing (presumably these were the slums that were cleared in the 1960s); plans, old photographs would be great to know about. My great great grandfather moved into Tindall Street (now Browning Street) in the early 1850s so I guess he may have been moving into a new build ... hard to believe.

Roger.

Roger, what a coincidence, I have just been reading another thread re TYNDAL Street. Somewhere between 1870 and 1890 it was re-named SLOANE Street. It is off Camden Street (near the Parade end). It is a small cul-de-sac (although I don't think they called it that in those days!). My maternal grandparents lived there up until about 1960. My Mother was born and brought up there. It was classed as Ladywood (although now I think it is part of "St Pauls") and the confusing thing is that there is a Gt Tindal Street also in Ladywood.

Hi Ladywoodite. With a name like yours I feel that I should not dispute your claim. Having said that, have to looked at Mike's contribution above. The claim here is that Tyndal or Tindall Street (I have found both spellings on the various censuses) was renamed Browning Street. Looking at Mike's map along with others of various ages (check out the fascinating book 'Birmingham - A History in Maps) I came to the conclusion that Mike is correct. This was also backed up by the chap who runs the Old Ladywood website. With thanks to you for your comments I will certainly check out your claims and post back in due course. I am planning a trip to Ladywood and Birmingham library in early September and I will want to know I'm at least walking the right street by then!

Roger.

Hello all

I wonder if anyone can put me right on a major issue I have concerning my great great grandfather's family who lived in Ladywood between 1851 and 1881. He was a blacksmith who moved from Atherstone to Ladywood. I guess there was more work in a growing Birmingham for anyone who wasn't a hatter at the time! I have them living in Tindall Street which, based on my time living in Shirley and working in Birmingham, I think of as being on the Balsall Heath / Moseley border. Even so, and this is one thing that is confusing me, the census returns clearly show this is Ladywood district. The oldest of his three chidren were married within a few months of each other in 1878 in St. John's Church which, if I have my facts right, is definately in Ladywood; this must have been quite a journey at the time.

Can anyone clarify that I have my facts right about Tindall Street. Was, or is it really in Ladywood. I used to play tennis in what I thought was Ladywood but this was some distance from where I understand Tindall Street to be.

I'm an 'ex-pat' now living in North Yorkshire in what the locals think of as God's own county: We all know different of course! I'm planning to bring my son down late in the summer to watch a bit of cricket and footie where I used to go and will be visiting the places mentioned above ... thought I'd better get my facts right first and will be grateful for any help here.

Kind regards to all.
Roger H ... I see your post is many years ago..but I have only just seen it... so in case you never got to the bottom of your question ..here is what I know.. I was brought up in Great Tindal St Ladywood.. now it started from top end Monument rd all the way.down it crossed over Ledsam st and carried on till it met up with Saint Vincent st to the Left and Browning st to the right... now this is where your long ago Grandparents are from as Browning st ..was originally TINDAL ST..no great on it like the other half..as it changed its name somewhere around 1870s to the now Browning st... so yes your family were Ladywood people.... and as for the other Tindal St it is in Balsall heath and still is to this present day.. and there is a old street map showing it as Tindal St... if I can find it I will put it onto this post.. hope you find this useful.. bye for now from Margaret

Hello all

Kind regards to all.
Hello pat.. yes there was a Tindal St in those years.. it was on the other side of Gt Tindal St where it crossed Saint Vincent st .. Tindal st then had it's name changed to BROWNING ST.. I lived in Great Tindal St at the top part by monument rd.. hope this meets you well..stay safe and alert..best wishes from Margaret (bushbaby)❤

Back