• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ladywood & birmingham shop adverts

pollypops

master brummie
I have found an old Ladywood Parish magazine from 1942 which has some old adverts inside. I thought you may find them interesting.
First ones are all in Mounument Road
E Joyce florist
Whitehouse Stores
H Fabery Footwear
J E Wild Tobacconist

mon_4.jpg

Last edited:
Also in Monument Road
Frank L Ridout Radio and Electrical repairs
Charles Woodward Grocer

mon_5.jpg

Last edited:
Monument Road
G Jenkins Builder, Plumber, Electrician & Decorator and supplies
E T Hughes Hairdressers & Wig Maker

Monument Road
Gertrude - Coats, Gowns, Millinery & Jumper Suits
G Knowles - Chemist & Wine & Spirit Merchant

Monument Road
W H Cox Butcher at number 142 Monument Road
This advert says 'What about your next Registration?' I am not sure what this means???
also
W Cox & Sons at number 141 Monument Road
I am not sure what they sell but they say 'Doing our best for you under trying circumstances' as this is 1942, I assume they are referring to the war.

Polly
During the war, for rationing you had to register for a particular grocer and butcher to use your coupons at. Presumably here he is suggesting that people change their registration to his shop.

Polly
During the war, for rationing you had to register for a particular grocer and butcher to use your coupons at. Presumably here he is suggesting that people change their registration to his shop.
Thank you Mike, it makes perfect sense now!

Hyde Road, Ladywood
Robert Kerr & Son - Distinguished Tailoring

This advert says 'the answer to the coupon question'

lovely collection of ads there polly..just goes to show how many shops were around in those days....all we need now is for someone to see this thread and spot a shop that was owned by one of their rellies...thats what makes posting any pics so worth while...

thanks for taking the time to post them and keep em coming if you have any more..

lyn

Thanks Lyn, glad you like them. Like you I am hoping that someone might see them who has a connection with them. I know I was thrilled when I saw an old advert for a company that my dad used to work for.
The reason I have typed the names of the shops and roads above the adverts is if someone is searching the internet (or the forum search) for these names hopefully it will lead them here.
I do have some more so I will post them too.
Polly

thats a good idea polly..makes it easier to find....look forward to seeing the others...

lyn

Back