• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ladywood Area

Most of our old photos of Ladywood are portraits of one kind or another, very little to suggest topography unfortunately. Nevertheless here's one interesting group shot. It was probably taken in the back court of 36 Stour Street, though we can't identify anyone in the photo. We suspect they're Griffin or Patrick family members.
griffins_patricks.jpg

Pimpernel what a brilliant photo. I would think it was either Sunday or a family occasion they have collar and ties and look how well polished their boots are. A lovely piece of social history.

The c 1889 map would fit in with it being in th eback yard of no 36 ., presunmably taken where the blue dot is

map_c_1889_court_11_stour_st__back_no36.jpg

A lovely photo and great to see it marked on the map - funny to think that is just where they are sitting and standing.
Do you know what year this photo was taken?
They do look very smart - although a little grumpy at having their photo taken. I notice the pigeons at the front of the picture - would they have been kept by the family?

Thanks Mike, I think you're right. I'm guessing the photo dates from the 1910's, maybe as late as the early 1920's. In 1920 my Griffin ancestors were at 2 back of 34 Stour Street, having moved a few doors up from 31 since 1911, with other relatives by marriage the Patricks at No.37, so I'm presuming it's one or other of the families.

The pigeons - yes my father tells me he remembers they were all pigeon fanciers and there were always birds in the court. I'm not sure but the older man looks like he may be cradling a pigeon in his hand?

Thank you, I've watched a little and bookmarked it to watch the rest later. Lots of my family came from Ladywood.
I noticed the child playing in the gutter, Nan told me her friend lost her legs like that with a cartwheel going over them! Even though there weren't many horses left then, I was frightened.
rosie.

HI Rosie ;
many thanks for showing us this clip it certainly brought many memorys to my wife and myself and the particular part of the ladywood sight
where it was filming especialy for my wife whom was only about two hundred yards from the church and association with her father
whom often mixed and worked along the cannon at the church on a regular basis ;
the cannon was correct when he said about the community it will never be the same its a different society in ladywood now and its a no go area
and its sad to see the church standing alone my brother had his funneral there two years ago ; as he was brought up and lived in the ladywood area
where he lived was called gun slinger Alley its notorius even today ;its a very poor and deprived family area ;and isolated area of birmingham;
Today ; compared to those days we did have alot of poor familys in ladywood but not as bad as it is today ;
and thanks for the picks of ladywood and monument shops it bring good old memorys for my wife she went on for hours about it and them ;
alot of it looked like ickneild port rd the first blocks buit was around ryland street ladywood
best wishes astonian;;

Hi Astonian, berniew's clip was good wasn't it? Is that church by Ellen St.?
I had relatives in Garbett St.(1800's) Hingeston St, ( 1900's) Barker St. St. Mark's St. etc. It does look so different now!
The Library is very peculiar with a supermarket tacked on!!!
rosie.

Back