• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ladywood Area

I remember a shop at the bottom end of Ryland St opposite Ryland Garage that sold cakes and cold steak and kidney pies (my favourite) The elderly Lady, who was the owner, dropped a cake on the floor one day, picked it up, put it in a bag and handed to me saying that a bit of muck never hurt anyone, tasted great :) times have certainly changed.

Here is a photo of Alexandra Place in St Mark's St 1967

Image5_Alexandra_Place_in_St_Mark_s_Street_1967.jpg

Regards Stars

Here is another one to look at. I reckon the lady is there to count the bags of coal.

Springfield St 1964

Image9_Springfield_St_1964.jpg

Regards Stars

Most of our old photos of Ladywood are portraits of one kind or another, very little to suggest topography unfortunately. Nevertheless here's one interesting group shot. It was probably taken in the back court of 36 Stour Street, though we can't identify anyone in the photo. We suspect they're Griffin or Patrick family members.
griffins_patricks.jpg

Pimpernel what a brilliant photo. I would think it was either Sunday or a family occasion they have collar and ties and look how well polished their boots are. A lovely piece of social history.

The c 1889 map would fit in with it being in th eback yard of no 36 ., presunmably taken where the blue dot is

map_c_1889_court_11_stour_st__back_no36.jpg

A lovely photo and great to see it marked on the map - funny to think that is just where they are sitting and standing.
Do you know what year this photo was taken?
They do look very smart - although a little grumpy at having their photo taken. I notice the pigeons at the front of the picture - would they have been kept by the family?

Thanks Mike, I think you're right. I'm guessing the photo dates from the 1910's, maybe as late as the early 1920's. In 1920 my Griffin ancestors were at 2 back of 34 Stour Street, having moved a few doors up from 31 since 1911, with other relatives by marriage the Patricks at No.37, so I'm presuming it's one or other of the families.

The pigeons - yes my father tells me he remembers they were all pigeon fanciers and there were always birds in the court. I'm not sure but the older man looks like he may be cradling a pigeon in his hand?

Thank you, I've watched a little and bookmarked it to watch the rest later. Lots of my family came from Ladywood.
I noticed the child playing in the gutter, Nan told me her friend lost her legs like that with a cartwheel going over them! Even though there weren't many horses left then, I was frightened.
rosie.

Back