• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ladywood Area

stars

master brummie
Hi All Here are a few photos from the Ladywood Area

Image6_ledsam_and_ryland_St_Junction_Ladywood.jpg

this shop is 356 Monument Rd

Image5_Monument_Rd_Ladywood~0.jpg

Ryland St 1961

Image7_Ryland_St_Ladywood_1961.jpg

Image2_George_St_West_1956.jpg

Stour Street Ladywood

Image13_Stour_St_Ladywood~0.jpg

Regards Stars

Stars
The third one down, your caption says 1968, but photo caption says 1961
Mike

A few more to look at

Wood Street 1961

Image20_Wood_St_Ladywood_1961~0.jpg

Image19_Bellis_St.jpg

Ladywood Rd

Image14_Ladywood_Rd~0.jpg

Image15_Oliver_Rd_Ladywood_1965.jpg

Icknield Port Road 1951

Image17_Icknield_Port_Rd_1951~0.jpg

Image21_Sherborne_St_Ladywood.jpg

Regards Stars

Hi
It must have come from when you saved it originally then. If you right click on it and click "Save as" then you get it saving as "Image7_Ryland_St_Ladywood_1968"
Mike

Great photo's stars I remember all those streets and the pubs, I love the "Jaffarade" lorry I remember them in tall bottles with a stone/wire, cap top I have't heard the name for 60 yrs.
paul

Hi Paul
I remember A mate of my dads worked for Masons pop, he used to drop in for a cuppa and always left us a couple of bottles.
Here a a few pubs from the area

Image4_The_duke_Of_Wellington_Leach_St.jpg

The Bridge Inn Monument Road

Image1The_Bridge_Inn_Monument_Rd_2.jpg

I love this one with all the people in it.

Image1_Northbrook_St_Ladywood~0.jpg

Image8_The_Ryland_Arms.jpg

Here are a few parties going on. I like to look at these, i might reconise a Nan or Grandad, let me know if you know anybody.

Image5_Dudley_Rd_School_1953.jpg

Image4_Silver_Jubilee_Essington_St_1935.jpg

Image3_King_George_V1_coronations_Shakespear_Rd.jpg

I had relatives work here at one time. Thats what you call advertising

Bulpitt and Sons Spring Hill

Image2_Bulpit___Sons_Spring_Hill~0.jpg

Enjoy Stars

Helo all
I realy like some of the old pubs. The work that went into building them.

Image10_The_Steam_Clock_Ladywood.jpg

Stars

hi stars
brillient pics of around ryland street on the caption of the corner shop and the others business mentioned was the perks
whom was related to the jelfs and my mothers aunts and cousins one lived around the corner in a big house in beafort rd edgbaston and the others lived down the rd in sefton rd ; great keep up your brillient work i am wtching with great intrest alan ;; astonian;;

Hi Astonian
Thank you for your kind words of encoragement. I know the feeling you get when the photo is around your area, you never know what you will
find on a photo. Thanks again Alan.

thanks Stars (Eric)

Hi
Here is a smashing photo taken in the 60s in St Mark's Street.
There is so much going on here. I think it's one of those photo's
you can look at for ages seing all whats going on.

Image2St_Mark_s_St_Ladywood_in_the_60s.jpg

Photo Courtesy of D. Norton

Stars

Just noticed the photo in post No 4 of the youngsters standing next to the two tone Ford Anglia 100E with the Morris 1000 van also in the picture, I bought this Anglia from a dodgy car dealer in bishopgate ? street (opposite ryland st other side of broad st) in 1963, lasted 6 months before blowing a piston.

Hi Nickcc101
How strange is that, ( i mean the car being in the photo) not you buying it from a dodgy dealer.
I often look at the cars in the photo's. You know your getting on when you say i had one of them, i had one like that.
Sorry if i brought back bad memories.

Regards Stars

Thanks Stars, no problem with bad memories as I kept the car for about 3 years after fitting a new piston. The car had been re sprayed when I bought it with the upper half being a fawny colour and the lower half a sort of orangy red, never seen this colour before or since thank goodness.

Back