• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

LADD / Ward Marriage cert

ward ancesters

proper brummie kid
HELP PLEASE MY GRAND MOTHER WHO WAS BORN IN BIRMINGHAM .THE PROBLEM IVE GOT IS THIS .ON HER DEATH CERT IT STATES SHE WAS MARRIED TO A MAN BY THE NAME OF LADD AND THIS IS MY FATHERS DAD THIS IS ALL WE KNOW HAVE FOUND NO MARRIAGE OR DEATH RECORDS HERE IN AUSTRALIA FOR ANYBODY. SHE WAS BORN 1897 MY FATHER BORN IN 1939 THIS MAN LADD MUST DIED JUST BEFORE MY FATHER WAS BORN WONDER IF YOU CAN LOOK UP MARRIAGE CERT THERE BETWEEN 1920 AND 1935 ELLEN WARD TO LADD :love:

Re: Marriage cert

Sorry. I've looked on FreeBMD under marriages of Ward to Ladd and Ladd to Ward and can't find the marriage you are looking for. Are you certain that she married in England or Wales? I'm sure that others will take a look to check. Have you got a copy of your father's birth certificate as it might show his father's full name on it. I think you definately need a bit more info before you can get any further.

Jill

Sorry no luck on Ancestry either for Ward-Ladd.

ive had look on genes for you and sorry to say i also cant find anything for a marriage for ward and ladd...

lyn

Hi,

There is a marriage of Ellen R Ward to Rudolph A C LOTT Dec 1919 West Ham 4a 133, it's the nearest match I could find.

Macca

So we definately need more info from you to be able to help. If he died just before your father was born, how did the widow manage herself financially? Did she sign any documents or make any claims on the state that might give you any further clues? Have you checked newspaper obituary notices or looked for a birth notice that might give the father's name? You say Ellen was born in Birmingham but stories are easy to make up. Of course she may never have been married to Mr Ladd or maybe they ran away to Australia together? Could have used false names and no one would have known. When did Ellen die and how old did she claim to be at some point in her life? I'm happy to take part in a good mystery hunt for her but you need to share as much info as possible but divide it into two areas; what you know for certain (documents, etc) and what you think - rumour, tales, hints, etc. The phrase 'Once a Brummie, always a Brummie' really does seem to hold true so if she was born here there is surely no way, unless she had something to hide from, that she wouldn't have talked about it. I was born in Brum but my parents moved to Solihull when I was six months old. I love both areas and their histories but I'm still a Brummie.

So give us everything you've got and we will have another go at helping you.

Regards

Jill

I have been advised by a 'moderator'? that my previous post was interogatory and might put a new person off from returning to this forum. Nothing was further from my thoughts. I'm sorry that I came over as unpleasant. I aplogise as I have already done privately. I was only trying to help and.. well I was just trying to help. I'm enthusiastic at helping when others need because after nearly 40 years of researching my family tree, long before computers made it a piece of cake in comparrison, I know how important just one piece of overlooked information can be and sharing it with others sometimes makes that light come on.

Regards and apologies again.

Jill

Hi

Do we know where Mr Ladd was born?
Do we have his 1st name at all ?
Is it possible that they could have married near his home town ?

Derek

Last edited:

My thought is that if Ellen was born 1896/7 (as I have found a few Ellen Ward's registered Birmingham and Kings Norton (Part of Birmingham later)1896 and a couple in Aston 1897) could she have married twice... once under Ellen Ward and then to Mr Ladd under her first married name?
Why I ask is because my Granddad born 1891 married first in 1912, but because his wife died in 1917 married again in 1919 to my Gran who had also been married before in 1908.
Could you tell us your Grandfather's and father's first name please and we can then try and cross check names...

OK ellen ward born as her death cert states born birmingham england there parish is yardley town sparhill in the district of solihull and started life at 112 great lister st her father was albert edward ward born 1874 her mother was francis thomas born 1876 [or fanny] ellen born 1897 died 17th april 1962 and states she lived here australia for 40 years so i figure she was 25 when she come here and i dont now if she come with this ladd man or not my fathers name is john sparks his name is from his step father i have not sent for his birth cert because i dont know if he would be under the name ladd or sparks he was born when ellen was 41 years old'
on the cert it states this 1st marriage unknown ....ladd and she was a widow

Could this be the same Ellen Ward?
passenger transcript details
Name: Miss Ellon WARD
Date of departure: 31 August 1920
Port of departure: Tilbury
Passenger destination port: Australia
Passenger destination: Australia
Date of Birth:
Sex: Not specified
Passenger recorded on: Page 25 of 46