• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Labour Corps

MWS

from Bham
The is my grandfather, William Simmonds and other (unknown unfortunately) soldiers of the Labour Corps from some unknown date during WWI

scan0018.jpg

I was told that he was also the cook and I have his Mrs Beeton's cookbook

p1070429a.jpg p1070431a.jpg p1070430a.jpg

There's a good few recipes that have gone out of fashion and I can't seem them making a return anytime soon.

That's wonderful MWS. The cookbook has his handwriting on the pages too (well I assume it's his). The photo looks like it's been halved, would that be right? You can imagine old friends from the Corps sharing the photo by tearing it in half. I also wondered if there were non-British men in the photo too, but not sure. Two little gems. Hope someone can suggest a date for you. Viv.

Labour corps formed Jan 1917. disbanded 1920
Reformed as the Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps 1039
Renamed Royal Pioneer Corps 1940
Foreign troops were recruited by them

Thanks, I'm not sure when he enlisted, I don't think his records survived unfortunately.

I think it's his handwriting. The photo has definitely been torn, I don't know how much is missing. I wonder if some of the descendants of the other men also have a copy. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the fellas were non-British, top left possibly.

Thanks, I'm not sure when he enlisted, I don't think his records survived unfortunately.

I think it's his handwriting. The photo has definitely been torn, I don't know how much is missing. I wonder if some of the descendants of the other men also have a copy. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the fellas were non-British, top left possibly.

I think you'll find Ole Bill, top left, has the cap badge of the Manchester Regiment, (or maybe the "General Service" badge), MWS !

I'm still working on the other cap badge.

At first glance MWS, I thought that was the same cookbook that I posses. But it isn't. The cover of mine looks similar bit it is entitled Model Cookery and Housekeeping Book by Mary Jewry. Warnes were the publisher and the cost, printed on the cover, is one shilling (5p. post decimalization):biggrin: I cannot find a date but I am pretty certain that it pre dates WW1.

No idea how you worked that out maypolebaz, to me it looks like a splodge not that I'd no what it was even if it was clear. Inconsiderately my granddad hasn't got a cap on.

I don't know if there's a price on mine, radiorails. I'll have to have a check.

scan0018.jpgI had a go at restoring that splendid image, hope you don't mind, but I thought it was worth a go.

Thank you Morturn, I don't mind in the slightest. It looks great, especially the right hand side which you seem to have magicked out of thin air.

I found one selling on Ebay & the year they have got it at is 'New Edition 1910'. How lucky you are to have it.

I was wondering which edition it might be too Rowan. Mrs Beeton's Cookbook was published in new editions including 1910, 1911, 1912, 1914, 1915 .... then nothing until 1923. Seems amazing that a cookbook originally produced in1859/60 could still be popular all those years later. Originally it covered household management too. There was a shilling cookbook edition and a shorter 6d edition, as well as an enlarged version. Don't know if all editions were printed with a few colour plates, but some of them certainly were. Viv.

I'm sorry, I don't know if it was his or army issue. It's a 1914 edition so maybe it was army issue.

Back