• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

L/Sjt Wilfred D Burgess 7780 Worcestershire Regiment.

MILLS

master brummie
Hello all,
here I am again.

Another soldier from Birmingham but been unable to find any information on this man.

All I know is that he enlisted into the Worcester's early 1903 into 2nd Battalion.

Called up for WW1 and seems to have been wounded twice. Went to France in December, 1914.

That's I all I know.

If any of you expert researchers fancy a project I would appreciate any pointers.

Thank you.

David

Could it be William instead of Wilfred? Ancestry seems to list both names for the same person on different records.

Yes I also came across William but it didn't go anywhere so I put it down as an error. Do you think otherwise?
David

I see on his MRIC W has been altered to Wilfred, not uncommon, but I can't see the scan of other record to see how William came about.

However, Wilfred or William I can't see anyone likely atm.

The lance/sgt is William on Medal Award Rolls on Ancestry
1678883333655.png
but on the war Medal Index cards he is Wilfred
1678883528043.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Another soldier from Birmingham but been unable to find any information on this man.

All I know is that he enlisted into the Worcester's early 1903 into 2nd Battalion.
Query - how do you know he is from Birmingham?
Would he have to have been at least 18 (or 21) to join up in 1903? I am trying to guess his year of birth.

Last edited:
Janice,

I assumed William was an error.

When he was reported on 4 August, 1916 as wounded he was reported as residing in Birmingham. This is from ForcesWarRecords.

I couldn't find anything to suggest he is William rather than Wilfred. I'll have a look at other soldiers to see what age he might have been to join in 1903.

David

As William is a typed entry and Wilfred seems an add on I would have gone with William. However, the database on the Worcester regiment side lists him as Wilfred.
I did find a birth of a William David but he would have been older than 14/16 in 1903. Will look again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Checking GRO birth records from 1880 (23 in 1903 so a bit old perhaps) to 1894 (only 10 in 1903 so far too young) reveals no Wilfred Burgess with a brth registered in Birmingham. Also no Wilfred D's registered anywhere.

The name William Burgess is much more common. I checked for births registered with just the name William in the local area or William D anywhere. These are the results.

1678972007496.png Handsworth came under west Bromwich at this time
1678972072613.png
1678972179759.png
1678972273981.png****
1678972315526.png
1678972356356.png
The one I have starred seems to be most likely but proving it will be hard

Janice,
I drew a blank with Wilfred.
As you say William is very common.
As I couldn't find any pension papers for him there were no clues.
I will play around with William and see if anything jumps out.
Thank you for your searches.
David

Hello all,
here I am again.

Called up for WW1 and seems to have been wounded twice. Went to France in December, 1914.

That's I all I know.

If any of you expert researchers fancy a project I would appreciate any pointers.

Thank you.

David
My grandad was in b company 2nd batlion worcesters he was in the army before first word war was in the first battle of mons and in the retreat he got injured early in the war

I've gone through the William D Burgess, with and without D and nothing links back to information that I know is correct.

What I need is Absent Voters list for him in 1918/1919 as this would give his number.

I've tried all the sites I could think of but nothing jumps out.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

What I need is Absent Voters list for him in 1918/1919 as this would give his nunumber.
I misunderstood - now realise you want to find his number on the eroll to identify his address.
Trouble is he may have been from Birmingham but no longer lived there. In which case eroll may not be online.
Or he could have been home by then and so not on the absent voters list.

Janice,
He resided in Birmingham in 1916 and guessing he was demobbed in 1918/1919.
Hence trying to find him in Absent Voters.
David

Going back to your original post, where did you get the information that he joined up in 1903? And is there any possibility that he and the one from 1914 are 2 different people?

Going back to your original post, where did you get the information that he joined up in 1903? And is there any possibility that he and the one from 1914 are 2 different people?
His Regimental no. Indicates he enlisted around 1903 and his medal card shows when he landed in France. So same man.
David

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
MWS,
Comparing Nos. with known men with similar no. who have an enlistment date. I have a large data base of Worcestershire Regiment's men.
David

Looking on the absent voters eroll on Ancestry. I am not sure all areas have been put online. A search by district only gives 3 districts. A search at the library woukd be tricky as it would mean going through every page.

Looking on the absent voters eroll on Ancestry. I am not sure all areas have been put online. A search by district only gives 3 districts. A search at the library woukd be tricky as it would mean going through every page.
Janice,

At least that's worth knowing.

David

Back