• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

L. Ison 26 Lee bank Road Birmingham

Rosa was born sometime in 1884 in Kramsk which is now part of Poland. She is the sister of Jacob Winter
Sometime after the April 1901 Census and before the birth of their first child Annie on 28th March, 1902, Philip and Rosa Kaplan (they were already married), left Poland for Birmingham perhaps leaving through Bremen (shipping records mainly lost). She was 17-18 years old. Philip came from Konin and was 19-20 years old and was a Tailor Presser for Gents Coats.

Natalie Lamb has spotted a possible entry for Philip in the Polish Vital records. Philip’s Hebrew name was Zev, ben (= son of) Mordechai Alexander. Zev corresponds with the name Wolf, and so I would suggest the birth in Konin in 1880 might be him.

US BOUND WITH A BROTHER

I have located at least one brother of Philip’s called Pinkus (Pincus). He is also shown on the Polish Indexing records for Konin as a birth in 1887. This was picked up through the Ellis Island Shipping records, which shows Philip’s outward journey on the Mauretania from Liverpool to New York departing on 23rd January, 1909 arriving in New York on 29th January, 1909, to stay with his brother Pincus.
Within the same records Pincus Kaplan’s arrival in New York, on the Mauretania on the 28th February, 1908, is noted. The address of brother Philip corresponds with that of Philip & Rose in the 1911 census which is 83 Bell Road, Birmingham. Also the manifest states that Pincus had been in UK for 18 months and that he self financed his trip. He is carrying 3 USD, though 15 USD was crossed out.
On Philip Kaplan's outward.journey the manifest records his occupation as a Labourer though it is crossed out and Candy Baker (Maker) is entered. How interesting that from being a Tailor he is trying out Baking. Perhaps because of his brother Pincus who is also described as a Baker. We see that the brother Pincus Kaplan is visiting in USA, is called A. Bulka, stayed at 126 E. 110 St., New York.

Philip mentions his nearest relative is his brother in law at 26 Lee Bank Road, Birmingham-a L.Ison, which is revealing as his wife is not mentioned. However the wife Yetta Ison is in her 40's and that seems a little old to be Philip’s sister. I WOULD LOVE TO FIND OUT THE MAIDEN NAME OF YETTA AND MORE ABOUT THE WORK THEY DID AND HOUSES THEY LIVED IN

REGARDS,
GARETH

Gareth

At 26 Lee Bank Road, 1922 1925 1930 1935 is Joseph Ison. In 1912 there is a Louis Son (sic) but I think it could be Ison? In 1935 with Joseph is a Maud Twitty and in 1939 listed on their own is Myer IZON - possibly Ison?

Suzanne

From Kellys

1899-1903 Mrs Ison no occupation given, 36 Lee Bank road (in 1897 it is Mrs Abrahams)
1904 Ison Louis, no occupation given, 36 Lee Bank road
1905-33 Ison Louis, tailor, 26 Lee Bank road
1936-40 Ison, Mrs Yetta, 26 Lee Bank road (residential)
1943 Not listed (name and address)

Back