• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kynoch's I M I 1950s Onwards

Astonian, if you worked in the rolling mills at witton you may have come across my dad Fred Kemp. He worked there from 1947 till 1988.
Not been on here for some time and have been looking at some of the old threads and came across this. I think it was about 1973 and i had just walked out of a job as a mechanic and popped into IMI to see if they had any vacancies in their garage, was told no but there was jobs going in various departments on the site so agreed to go for an interview and was sent to the Strip Mill. Completely different to what i was used to but Fred Kemp, area 3 supervisor, gave me a trial that led to me working for him for many years and being trained on every process, good for me as you was paid more the more you could do. I can't remember the year but when Fred was promoted to shift manager i applied and got his old job, he was still there when i left, not long before they closed the place.

Back