• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kynoch's I C I 1930s - 1940s

S

shannon

Please note many of the Kynoch's images on this thread were lost when BHF was hacked so images may no longer appear in posts.

For posts about Kynoch's from the 1800s to the 1920s go here: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/kynochs-i-c-i-1800s-1920s.48347/

For posts about Kynoch's after WW2 (1950s onwards) go here: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...nochs-i-m-i-after-ww2.697/page-24#post-588184

...........................................................................................................................

Anyone remember my aunt Bridget Clarke, please send me a message if you do.

Does anybody remember working at the ICI Factory before or during the war?

Kathy

This was later ICI but it was here they made ammunition, does anybody remember this place.

Kathy

I remember the company had a factory in Wellhead Lane but you have the spelling wrong I think, was it not Kynochs. E.

Kynochs

Thanks for the spelling, I was wondering where I could find employees records.

Kathy

Kathy,
Know Kynoch's very well, besides the entrance in Wellhead lane Perry barr,
The main entrance was at the Witton end,my father used to play bowls for their team,as Did George Cunningham, the old Aston Villa player.
My Brother -in -law worked there,as did my wife both in the factory,& offices when it then became the IMI.she used to arrive home covered with the green powder that was used on the ammunition. :)

Kynoch

Would ay of your relatives remember smebody who worked there
Her name was Bridget McCarthy and she was from Ireland - sh would have been there until 1957

I know someone said they use to make bicycle pumps here is advert for bikes in the 1930's Edit. Image is no longer available.

My Mum Ivy Haywood worked at Kynoch's 1938-1944, when she left because she was expecting me. She worked in A Inspection Department, inpsecting cartridges and Verify Flares. Her Forelady was Mrs. Cope, the Manager was Mr. Bailey. Annie Cope, Molly Pratt, Vera Edwards and Gwen Jarvis were names that she can remember at this moment in time. Mum would love to know if anyone is still around or if family members have any memories.
Regards, Maureen.

Re: Munitions works

Can anyone tell me something about a munitions factory at Witton? :?: In 1901 my grandfather, who had come to Aston from Runcorn is recorded as living at Holte Road and working as a "glycerine maker" (nitro-glycerine?). He stayed long enough in Aston to meet and marry my grandmother, Annie Beecroft, before moving on again to another munitions factory at Kynocktown (later renamed Coryton), Essex. I am trying to find out something of the Witton company (presumably Kynock's) and what it's links were with the pre-WW1 factory on the Essex marshes. Can anyone tell me where exactly the Witton factory is/was? :oops: Pardon my ignorance of the geography of my grandmother's home town.
:handshake: My late father-in-law worked at ICI Kynoch Works in Witton (Holte Road is still in Witton and was only a short walk to the Kynoch Works) from a boy until his retirement and my husband served his apprenticeship there also. Please submit any queries you have and my husband will try to answer as best he can as unfortunately a lot of water has passed under the bridge since he left.

My auntie Gwen surname Marsden was head of the powerhouse at Kynoch's she worked there all through the war till the 60's.

Hi,
my mum Irene Veronica Wiseman (1914 - 1988) was a checker at Witton during the war. In 1944 she was sent to a munitions factory in Leicestershire. Does anyone remember her?
Empty

hello people im new to forum,,lookin for any info on me grandad ,,william bishop or maybe bill...died at the imi in 1941..or 1943,,,think was 43,,,workin in the amunitions ,,,a live bullit shot straight in hes head,,left two daughters and widow,,they lived in dyas avenue grt barr,,sorry for jumpin in like this,,but realiy am a novive to forums and p c in genral,,,cheers,,,,lookin for william,,bill,,bishop

Hi Megrandad and welcome to the forum. My son now lives off Dyas Avenue and my aunt Floss worked in muntions during that time you mentione. This is her during the Kings visit. I have put it on a while back but as you are new you wouldn't have seen it. Enjoy the forum and you will find lots of people who will help you. Bye. Jean.

tryin to find more about my grandads death,i say bullit,cuz that was how i heard it,,hes name was on the mem placue out side the works

trying to find out more about my grandad,,hes death etc,,i my self lived in tintern rd of aston lane,for about 13 years,,hes name was on the memorial plaque outside the works,,,was told was he was quite well known,,,cheers,,gary

hi all..was it imi that made bullets during the war ???? its going back a long time now but me ex mother in law used to work there as a nurse during the war and i remember her telling me how they stood on the emgergency stairs outside and watched coventry being bombed...

lyn

I recently bought a silver teaspoon at antique fair in Scotland.The crest on the handle consists of a lion and the letters
I C I (one above the other) Does any ex employee recall these spoons.The spoons could have been used in the "Boardroom" or presented to employees for some reason (could have been used at another division of I C I of course).The spoon is hallmarked B'ham 1939 and was made by Arthur Price & Co.who I believe was in business in "Brum" 1924-1947

In my Grandmothers papers: 20yrs Metal Works Machinist 952 Kingstanding Rd. Handsworth. 1940-1.
I'm creating a picture of what it must have been like living in Monument Rd Ladywood, going to work - who was the firm? And what did women do there?

Just a few photo showing some of the excellent war work carried out by women during the two world wars.

1. Assembling Mills bombs (grenades) at the Mill Munitions factory (WW1)
2. Some of the women workers outside the Mills Factory (WW1)
3. Assembling Aircraft Wings. (WW2)
4. B.S.A. Works (WW2)
5. Parkinson Cowan Works. (WW2)

Phil

MillsMunitionsFactory1916.jpg
MilllsMunitionsBridgeStW1916.jpg

AssemblingWingsforaMilesMasterAircraft.jpg
BSAwithammunitionbeltforaBrowning.jpg

ParkinsonCowan4ladywelders.jpg

Thankyou.These photos speak a 1000 words. It is very good to be reminded, especially when your forebears didn't talk about their heroic efforts in the past amidst their own personal battles. It looks like she was sent to work for essential war work in Handsworth from working in pub in a little Scottish village - for the war effort. Then in 1944, it says still, a Metal Works Machinist - but at Longbridge Plant.

Great photo's Phil my aunt worked in munitions at Kynock's and she stayed on after the war. The photo's just bring it all to life.

Just a couple more photos showing some of the war work undertaken by our women when there were very few men around. Not what you would call factory work, but still just as important.

The one shows a group of women sewing the envelope for a barrage balloon it must have been backbreaking and knee crushing work, the other shows women and children helping to fill sand bags. You could say it was Birmingham's first beach before they even thought of it in the City Centre.

Phil

SewingtheEnvelopeofaBarrageBalloon1940.jpg
FillingSandbags.jpg

Anyone know a Patricia Cullen from Witton who worked at Kynochs in the 1940's. It would mean a lot to me
if anyone knew her. A old Brummie babe. She was Irish and had a lot of children.:pride:

my ex mother is law was working there as factory nurse on one of the nights coventry was bombed...remember her telling me that from a vantage point they could see coventry ablaze....

lyn

Last edited:
i remember going through that building for an interveiw for an apprenticship after 5yrs i joined the lightening fasteners .never thought i would have built a slider ass machine great times at imi .its all gone so so fast

even though there is a new school behind it the entrance to kynochs has been retained and is under refurbishment...nice to see that happen...phil is there any chance you could replace the photos you posted please..

lyn

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5164355,-1.895972,3a,37.5y,159.93h,98.12t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1srW_1SexBXrH9Ki6W9GnW4Q!2e0!6s//geo2.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=rW_1SexBXrH9Ki6W9GnW4Q&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=48.140453&pitch=0&thumbfov=100

Thanks to information provided to me by a correspondent, I'm able to place on record another fragment of Kynoch's history.

On Friday, 16th January 1948, a new employee, Sidney Batty, was working alone in the cap priming department, part of the ammunition side of Kynoch's business, and was engaged in powder weighing. He had only been employed for a few weeks and had just, a few days previously, completed his special training. Despite being a newcomer, he had had extensive experience of handling explosives. After demob from Army service with the rank of Staff Sergeant, he had worked for a while in Birmingham on the buses. But this profession was perhaps too tame for him and he returned to Germany to work for the Control Commission where he was involved in demolition work, including the detonation of stores of ammunition. A member of the family, Mr. A. J. Williams, was quoted as saying: "We knew he had a dangerous job in Germany and we were worried about it". Sidney returned home safely and joined Kynoch. By this time he was 25 and was living at 356 Wheeler Street in Lozells, the home of his sister and brother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. L. Lane; he had been recently married and was due to become a father in a couple of months time.

On that day, there was a violent explosion. Sydney was the one casualty and he was fatally wounded. His only word before he died was "styphnate" - which was one of the most delicate substances known in the industry, according to an expert witness at the inquest.

Dr. D. R. Doyle, Assistant Research Manager at Kynoch, told the inquest that there were only two possible causes of detonation: friction or static electricity. It seemed that it was impossible to establish just how or why the explosion occurred. The Company was exonerated from blame as it was acknowledged that it had taken every reasonable precaution to avoid such a disaster. But the real cause remained a mystery and the Coroner recommended that further research be undertaken into methods of weighing powder.

Tragic as it was, this accident was not regarded as sufficiently significant to be included in either of the Company's official histories. It must have been devastating at the time, however, to family, friends and colleagues. Kynoch had a good reputation as a benign employer, thanks perhaps to its ICI connection which went back over twenty years at that time, and we can hope that the family received generous treatment.

But now at least we can remember Sidney Batty, more than 70 years after his untimely death. And here he is, probably photographed in Cairo during his 8th Army days.

Chris

(Source of this information to whom grateful acknowledgement is made: Dawn Rawson, Sidney's niece).

Last edited:
Thanks to information provided to me by a correspondent, I'm able to place on record another fragment of Kynoch's history.

On Friday, 16th January 1948, a new employee, Sidney Batty, was working alone in the cap priming department, part of the ammunition side of Kynoch's business, and was engaged in powder weighing. He had only been employed for a few weeks and had just, a few days previously, completed his special training. Despite being a newcomer, he had had extensive experience of handling explosives. After demob from Army service with the rank of Staff Sergeant, he had worked for a while in Birmingham on the buses. But this profession was perhaps too tame for him and he returned to Germany to work for the Control Commission where he was involved in demolition work, including the detonation of stores of ammunition. A member of the family, Mr. A. J. Williams, was quoted as saying: "We knew he had a dangerous job in Germany and we were worried about it". Sidney returned home safely and joined Kynoch. By this time he was 25 and was living at 356 Wheeler Street in Lozells, the home of his sister and brother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. L. Lane; he had been recently married and was due to become a father in a couple of months time.

On that day, there was a violent explosion. Sydney was the one casualty and he was fatally wounded. His only word before he died was "styphnate" - which was one of the most delicate substances known in the industry, according to an expert witness at the inquest.

Dr. D. R. Doyle, Assistant Research Manager at Kynoch, told the inquest that there were only two possible causes of detonation: friction or static electricity. It seemed that it was impossible to establish just how or why the explosion occurred. The Company was exonerated from blame as it was acknowledged that it had taken every reasonable precaution to avoid such a disaster. But the real cause remained a mystery and the Coroner recommended that further research be undertaken into methods of weighing powder.

Tragic as it was, this accident was not regarded as sufficiently significant to be included in either of the Company's official histories. It must have been devastating at the time, however, to family, friends and colleagues. Kynoch had a good reputation as a benign employer, thanks perhaps to its ICI connection which went back over twenty years at that time, and we can hope that the family received generous treatment.

But now at least we can remember Sidney Batty, more than 70 years after his untimely death. And here he is, probably photographed in Cairo during his 8th Army days.

Chris

(Source of this information to whom grateful acknowledgement is made: Dawn Rawson, Sidney's niece).

View attachment 132682

Many of the members of this Forum, including myself, will always remember the firm as being “Kynoch’s.” However in 1948 it was known as ICI Witton, and as stated, had been in their hands of ICI for a number of years. I point this out to avoid any idea that George Kynoch the man, or the firm that traded under his name, would be referred to as having a good reputation as a benign employer. Quite to the contrary he grossly exploited women, young girls and boys.

The Inquest was delayed for “various investigations” to take place. I looks to me that we have a Company investigating itself. I can’t see any evidence that the investigation was independent. At the eventual inquest in February the inevitable verdict of Accidental Death was given. There was a three hour demonstration of powder weighing but the cause of the explosion was still unexplained. Dr Doyle was described as Assistant Research Manager of the factory and said that there were two possible explanations. (The report does not say only explanations). He maintained that the powder rooms were equipped with the best precautionary methods known to science.

RIP Sidney and all others who over the years lost their lives in the factory.

Back