• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kunzles

F

flowershopgirl

Does anyone remember these beauties? So Chocolatey and creamy and yummy.
Theres nothing like them these days and I should know cause I've tested hundreds! :lol:

Does anyone know if these were a Brummie speciality because non of my out of town friends have ever heard of them.

OOh I could just fancy one now..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Kunzells Cakes

I remember those and so does my wife who is from South Wales and a colleague from Glasgow says he does too

Kunzell Cakes

I remember these lovely cakes also they had different fillings in actual chocolate cases, in the lates 50s and 60s they cost 6d old money each, and in many of the offices I worked in when it was your birthday you bought your colleagues a cake, and Kunzells were always the favourite.
If my memory serves me right Christian Kunzle who I believe was Swiss owned the factory, and I think it was in Garretts Green at one time.
Christian Kunzle was a very charitable man and gave his home in Davos
or let it, to the Sunday Mercury "Give a girl health fund" where children with chest complaints were sent for about 6 months to benefit from the fresh mountain air.

Kunzell Cakes

:D My mom worked at Kunzle's cakes for a short time in the mid 50's. Treat on Fridays as the staff could buy the squashed ones cheap 8) .

Kunzell Cakes

showboat1.jpg

An image taken at the Garretts Green Factory

Kunzell Cakes

I wish my mom had worked at Kunzells!!

Sigh!

Kunzell Cakes

Rod what a surprise I recognise the lady in that photograph as my friends auntie Marianne a German lady who worked at Kunzels. My friend used to share the cakes Marianne got for her with me.

Kunzell Cakes

Fantastic!! If you right click on the picture you should be able to copy it to your hard drive. :lol:

cadburys

My mom worked at Cadburys in bourneville .

and mishapes were looooveely ..

I,m still a chocoholic ..

Lardy Cakes

I loved Kunzels cakes, we also bought them at work on our Birthdays.
But does anybody remember lardy cakes from Greasley Nortons.... to die for.

Re: Kunzell Cakes

l suppose the Kunzell bakery is now finished, if not why cant they be selling them today or at least some other bakery taken over the recipe. They must have been the best in the world, and yes we could get them over here in Peterborough.
Those eccles cakes today are filled with currants not like years ago with another type of pastry filling, was it old cakes recyled ? but they tasted nice.

MMMmm Eccles cakes. I love em. Known in our house as a Flies Graveyard >:D

Kunzell Cakes they always seemed to smell different to any other choc cakes.

Do people remember the other product with its own lovely smell, we still have it most weeks at home.

MALT LOAF :smitten:

Ahhh Malt Loaf, now youve said something!!! It really isn't the same now is it?

Forget the malt loaf bring back Kunzle Cakes, and yes l dont care about my figure or whats left of it.

Malt loaf was yummy but didn't go very far in our house. Loved Kunzel's Cakes.
They had a shop in Cherry Street, well at least off New Street and a much larger shop close to Five Ways as I remember. At Easter they had all kinds of chocolate displays and a huge chocolate Easter egg which was on display up until Easter and then was sent to a Children's Home.
Lovely memories of special treats. I always used to go to Drucker's in more recent times but I think their pastries and cakes aren't as good as they used to be.

Oh l wish l was a Kunzle Cake then everyone would love me, although l would not last very long.

When Sylvia & I got married,
My cousin worked at Kunzles
and had our wedding cake made there,
it was lovely 3 tier's O0

Any photos Dennis...we'd all love a look at you and your bride also that cake which must have been so fab.

Evening Mail Special November 15 th 1999 "Old Brum" issue 11
Special Focus on Kunzles Pages 4 and 5

Here's a link to Memory Lane as far as Kunzle's Cakes are concerned. https://www.kzwp.com/lyons/kunzle.htm
I loved all of them but didn't get them very often. They were a luxury after all.
Those Showboat thingys were lovely.
My brother went to King Edward's Five Ways and when the familyl went to school
functions we always looked in the windows of Kinzles - Five Ways store.
It seems that there is a Blue Heritage Plaque in the area of Five Ways.

I had to post this site about the Showboat Kunzle cakes in particular. There are some
e-mails posted and one by a fellow called Gerald. If you read his e-mail....he worked
for the bakery for many years....he says that the Showboat Cakes will never return
and explains why in his opinion. https://www.bringbackshowboats.co.uk/archives/2005_05_01_kunzle_archive.html

All this looking up about Kunzle's is making me want some!

Thanks Jennyann, both sites make interesting reading. It seems the cakes were more labour intensive than Cadbury's chocolates, when the girls put the swirls on top.

Thanks a lot. You know we Brummies have lost a lot over the years but, of course, gained as well. It's great to remember the good things. Apart from being taken to Brum a lot by my Mother whilst growing up and then at age l2 going to school on Corporation Street and basically having a free run going around exploring the City Centre and Bullring on the lunch hours....I found the place fascinating. This was 1953 when I was at school in Brum and it was very different then. Corporation Street was not changed all the way from New Street to Lancaster Place. The famous shops Barrows, The Donn, C&A, etc. were all in place. The Cobden Hotel was a going concern. The Midland Education and, of course,the newer Rackham's was not built. The Exchange Building in Stephenson Place, which is now the ramp into New Street Station was still there as was The Queens Hotel and forecourt. My first job was at New Street Station starting Jan 1957.
All of the above was in place still, including the station walkway across the station leading to Market Street. I worked in the offices above Platform One where the London and Scottish trains left from and many actors and actresses who were performing in theatre
in Birmingham would arrive on this Platform. The trains themselves were amazing I remember, all gleaming and ready to go. The offices were next to the Queen's Hotel,
the lobby of which I often used to go into to watch was going on. There are so many stories from New Street Station at that time and it was quite exciting overall. I remember the Station Master, Mr. Smith wearing a top hat and tails plus a red rose in his lapel when the Queen Mother came for a visit to the station in 1958. We were allowed to go and watch as she arrived. All the white lines on the edges of the platforms were painted white and there wasn't a scrap of paper in sight.
It was a very unique time in Brum's history and I have always been glad I had the opportunity to bond with the City in those long ago days.

Back