• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Knowles & Black Country Disaster

devonjim

master brummie
Just found this story on a Facebook site "Birmingham and the Midlands. Historic Times and Places.
19 young female workers killed March 11th 1922 while dismantling WW1 cartridges. Company owner found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to 5 years.
Thanks to Joy Arnold for the research which includes some 16 photographs.
Screenshot (168).png Screenshot (169).png
I've looked on our site and can't find a previous mention of this sad event

Just found this story on a Facebook site "Birmingham and the Midlands. Historic Times and Places.
19 young female workers killed March 11th 1922 while dismantling WW1 cartridges. Company owner found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to 5 years.
Thanks to Joy Arnold for the research which includes some 16 photographs.
View attachment 120715 View attachment 120716
I've looked on our site and can't find a previous mention of this sad event

I first read of this disaster in the Blackcountryman magazine; a nice article by J Brimble from 1975 (Volume 8, issue 1)....The Dudley Port Explosion 1922....concerning the death of 19 young girls aged between 13 and 15 at a small factory in Groveland Road.

In trying to find out further info I came across a story in Lost Wolverhampton that seemed amazingly the same.

https://lostwolverhampton.co.uk/2013/08/tipton-disaster/

The site Black Country Muse also had an article, and “in light of new information from website member Pedro, we present this updated version of the worst peacetime event, in modern Black Country.”

https://www.blackcountrymuse.com/apps/forums/topics/show/4706648

I think the last paragraph of Black Country Muse is worth repeating...

“If they (Knowles) had no money, how come they managed to purchase, 61 Hagley Road West, Quinton, Birmingham, a rather grander house than the Grange, after John Walter Knowles was released from prison. They lived there from before 1930, until sometime after 1945, when they purchased 94, Lordswood Road, Harborne, Birmingham, and where he died on 28 the March,1951, leaving, in his will, £50,469.9s10d. Louisa died at the same address in 1955, leaving an estate valued at £93,000. Some folks would, if they were minded, call that Blood Money.

Back