• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Knowle and Dorridge Volunteers - 1918

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is an image of a fearsome group of volunteer soldiers defending Knowle and Dorridge against the Hun in 1918. (The Volunteers were a forerunner of the Home Guard 22 years later in WW2).

By some miracle can any member identify a face?

Chris

Attachments

• KnowleDorridgeVolunteers2 red2.jpg
    KnowleDorridgeVolunteers2 red2.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 33
There is a thriving History Society in Knowle Chris they may be able to add some information. They attend the local library each Saturday morning. Not sure if they person I knew is still an active member.

Thanks very much, both, well worth a try.

One of the strange things about that image is that the one bloke whom you would expect to be armed is the one who isn't - the young Cameron Highlander. He had been released a few days earlier from hospital in Colchester, having been wounded in France in July, and precisely why he came to be photographed within that group, I have no idea. He had suffered a leg wound from shrapnel. Lucky it hadn't been anywhere more vital as otherwise I shouldn't be around to make this post.

Chris

Back