• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kirby family (between 1891 and 1911)

Im afraid we just dont know any more than what i wrote above. There are plenty of possible Thomas Kirbys in the area at the time however i wanted to confirm the relationships if i could. Im eagerly awaiting the 1921 census to see if Violet is registered at a household with Thomas, Horace & co but thought I may have some luck here.

Don't think you'e the only one waiting for the 1921 census. Still more than a year unfortunately.

Are there no clues on her marriage certificate - witnesses, address?

Don't think you'e the only one waiting for the 1921 census. Still more than a year unfortunately.

i cant wait either what month will it be released

lyn

Hi. The only person listed as attched

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201116-184950_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20201116-184950_WhatsApp.jpg
    793.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I have only recently started to research my family and with the help of the 1911 census have found that my Great Grandfather James Kirby and his brother John Kirby spent time in Winson Green Prison.

It would appear (waiting for confirmation) that they both had been in trouble with the police before 1911 and in fact my Great Great Granfather and Mother (Eliza) had been involved in one of the incidents (a family row that involved neighbours and then the police).

Does anyone have any knowledge of the family? I can add that my Great Great Grand parents were Fishmongers and had shops on Smallbrook Street and Broad Street. My Great Grand mother (Annie) was living in York Terrace (off Barnbell Road) and Johns wife (Emily) on Cope Street.

I would also like to hear from those that can describe conditions in Winson Green around 1911.
Hi Ryan my great grandmother was Annie Kirby. My grand mother was also named Annie. She was the oldest daughter . They had a colourful life and Annie SNR’s husband was in and out of prison. Once the pandemic has resolved I am hoping to find out more

Hi

I'm not sure if members are still active who can help but I have recently picked up looking at my family history again after a couple of years. I'm trying to find some information to share with my Grandad when I am able to see him after lockdown.

I don't know if I am linking with the right Kirby family as I wasn't aware there were so many. In short, my grandmother was the oldest daugter of Horace Kirby (1909-1973) who married Lily Sleigh (1908-1949). Horace's parents were James and Ann/Annie Parton with James' parents being James and Eliza Lisemore.

From reading the thread, my grandad has relayed the story of James Jnr disappearing and leaving a note (believed to go to America) and Annie remarrying. There was a court case and Horace was taken out of school by Police to go. It's also interesting to hear about James Jnr's colourful past!

Other than Ancestry I haven't really looked any further for stories etc and would love to know more that I can share. I don't really know where to begin or where to look for information like that so I'd be really grateful for anyone to make contact with info on the family or advice.

Thanks
Laura

It appears that your James Kirby is the one mentioned by the original poster. James being in prison in 1911.

Hi

I'm not sure if members are still active who can help but I have recently picked up looking at my family history again after a couple of years. I'm trying to find some information to share with my Grandad when I am able to see him after lockdown.

I don't know if I am linking with the right Kirby family as I wasn't aware there were so many. In short, my grandmother was the oldest daugter of Horace Kirby (1909-1973) who married Lily Sleigh (1908-1949). Horace's parents were James and Ann/Annie Parton with James' parents being James and Eliza Lisemore.

From reading the thread, my grandad has relayed the story of James Jnr disappearing and leaving a note (believed to go to America) and Annie remarrying. There was a court case and Horace was taken out of school by Police to go. It's also interesting to hear about James Jnr's colourful past!

Other than Ancestry I haven't really looked any further for stories etc and would love to know more that I can share. I don't really know where to begin or where to look for information like that so I'd be really grateful for anyone to make contact with info on the family or advice.

Thanks
Laura
Hi

Hi Laura
this is a true store , Annie understood that James had gone to Ireland , she was informed that he was dead. He apparently was a nasty bit of work ,“ a Peaky Blinder” by all account. He spent time in Winson Green Prison. Frequently people would withdraw complaints !
Annie senior was my great grandmother. Annie Jnr was my grandmother, her husband William Herbert Cox had to go to court as a witness as he had seen the letter stating that James was dead. Annie was cleared of bigamy and she was very happily married to her second husband.
I have got an original birth certificate so will try to up load a copy over the next day or so

Hi Amanda
Thanks for the reply. It all sounds very interesting. My grandmother did do some research into the family before she passed away. She made notes but I've not had chance to go through them as I was focusing on my grandfather's side.

I have copies of some certificates they bought but no photos of that side at all. Anything you can share will be gratefully received!

My Mom who is 91 has some photos of my Dad Barry Cox who was Annie Kirby jnr’s youngest son also with my aunt Jean when they were children I will look them out and try to post them on this link( not very good with tech) . My Aunt is still alive the last of a very big family. William Cox married Annie Kirby and their eldest child was Nancy , then there were twins I do not know their names . I know there was Denis he died before I was born and he was in the navy during ww2 . He survived that but died in the early 50’s from Erysipelas. He worked as a milkman and had been a barman for a time at the Crossways pub Perry Common. Uncle Bill I remember fondly was married to Mary and had a daughter Valerie and a son known as Stephen but his 1 st name was Barry. Unfortunately I lost touch with them when Mary died around 1980. Uncle Bill also worked at The Crossway pub and there is a photo of them standing out side wearing bar men’s aprons.Then there was Barry and Jean. Jean has 4 children Ann, Carole, Helen and Peter.
I have 1 sister Sandra. I have 3 children Peter, Andrew and Joanne and we have 5 grandchildren and another due any day. I would love to catch up once this pandemic is sorted.

Did Annie Kirby technically commit bigamy?

There are 2 marriages for her and Roland Simpson, and a newspaper article in the Bham Daily Gazette, 1921.

The second marriage is registered 1930 which would seem to suggest that the James Kirby who died in 1929 (reg Bham) right age is him.

There also appear to be a couple of other articles about James Kirby in 1921, one of which says he got 3 months hard labour.

Last edited:
From the very little I know, technically yes but unknowingly. It was assumed he had died but he returned a few years later.

Thanks for the info on MG Prison.

I cant say that I know of Timothy/Timony Kirby although I cant say we are not related as all children to James and Eliza appear to have had several children (James jnr 7 and John 8 or so). Chances are that there is a connection. My early family connections are found around Snow Hill and then Hurst Street (lower). There isa strong connection to Fish sales and fish eating places (a chip shop I guess).

Do you have any idea if there is likely to be records on either James or John in Winson Green and if yes where would they be now? I guess that the chances of finding the typical police record photo would be asking too much.

Cheers Ryan
Hello all,

The Kirby branch you're descended from is the branch that's in my family tree. James and John Kirby, and their sisters Eliza, Alice and Emily, lived in Snow Hill in the 1891 census. Their father James was a fishmonger and so was his son James; and James senior's nephew John Hodgkiss, who was 14, appears to have been an apprentice in the business too. The young siblings had another sister called Esther Priscilla, who at this time was living with her husband in Alma Street. Esther's husband was my maternal great-grandmother's nephew, Charles Cornelius Moulick, whose paternal grandparents were Irish immigrants. Esther outlived her husband by 9 years and is buried with her parents, James and Eliza, in Kings Norton I think. Most of this information I only discovered yesterday and this morning, and I was very interested to read in your post, that James and John and their mother had been in a rumpus. If I discover anything more, I shall surely update you.

I'd love to see pictures if you have any! Did you mention some, Dechasjay? Meanwhile, I have this one for you.

Attachments

• Gravestone of James_Eliza Kirby_Esther Moulick.png
    Gravestone of James_Eliza Kirby_Esther Moulick.png
    972.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
My Mom who is 91 has some photos of my Dad Barry Cox who was Annie Kirby jnr’s youngest son also with my aunt Jean when they were children I will look them out and try to post them on this link( not very good with tech) . My Aunt is still alive the last of a very big family. William Cox married Annie Kirby and their eldest child was Nancy , then there were twins I do not know their names . I know there was Denis he died before I was born and he was in the navy during ww2 . He survived that but died in the early 50’s from Erysipelas. He worked as a milkman and had been a barman for a time at the Crossways pub Perry Common. Uncle Bill I remember fondly was married to Mary and had a daughter Valerie and a son known as Stephen but his 1 st name was Barry. Unfortunately I lost touch with them when Mary died around 1980. Uncle Bill also worked at The Crossway pub and there is a photo of them standing out side wearing bar men’s aprons.Then there was Barry and Jean. Jean has 4 children Ann, Carole, Helen and Peter.
I have 1 sister Sandra. I have 3 children Peter, Andrew and Joanne and we have 5 grandchildren and another due any day. I would love to catch up once this pandemic is sorted.
i am sure i went to barrys house in kingstanding ,did they have a greengrocers shop in aston street

Hi Kirbo
Dad was a motor mechanic and as far a I know there were no greengrocers in the family. Can you remember where you went in Kingstanding?

i was very young at the time could have been kings road,i vaguely remember barry i think he had light brown hair slightly receding but icould be wrong

Im afraid we just dont know any more than what i wrote above. There are plenty of possible Thomas Kirbys in the area at the time however i wanted to confirm the relationships if i could. Im eagerly awaiting the 1921 census to see if Violet is registered at a household with Thomas, Horace & co but thought I may have some luck here.

As I suspected it appears that Violet's father was the Thomas George Kirby born Cheltenham, though his age is a little out and he's listed as Thomas S on the transcript.

In 1921 they are living at 102 Phillips St. His wife is listed as Mary, b1876 but no birthplace on transcript, and children Horace, Violet and Elvine (Evelyn) are with them.

Thomas George's parents - George and Sarah - as well as Albert (his son) are living at 321 Highbridge Road, Sutton Coldfield. This is the same that Albert, Archibald and Evelyn are living at on the 1939 register.

The Fred Kirby who worked in the stores at BSA Tools, Kitts Green lived by The Glebe pub, his two Sons were convicted of the manslaughter of house owner in Handsworth while carrying out a burglary in his house and were sentenced to 7 or 15yrs? in prison they behaved well and saved a Warders life when he was threatened by crazed prisoner who was going to kill him, their sentences were reduced by several years as a reward, when they were released they led a law abiding lives, at first it looked as if they would accused of murder and if found guilty would have hanged. Len.
My grandad was John

The Fred Kirby who worked in the stores at BSA Tools, Kitts Green lived by The Glebe pub, his two Sons were convicted of the manslaughter of house owner in Handsworth while carrying out a burglary in his house and were sentenced to 7 or 15yrs? in prison they behaved well and saved a Warders life when he was threatened by crazed prisoner who was going to kill him, their sentences were reduced by several years as a reward, when they were released they led a law abiding lives, at first it looked as if they would accused of murder and if found guilty would have hanged. Len.
Ragg pot lol

My mother is a Kirby before she got married so my grandad was an original Kirby I'm not sure when he was born but he fought in WW2 so he must have been born in the 20s and he was from Birmingham
Yer 1 got blew up on the landings

Hi Ryan my great grandmother was Annie Kirby. My grand mother was also named Annie. She was the oldest daughter . They had a colourful life and Annie SNR’s husband was in and out of prison. Once the pandemic has resolved I am hoping to find out more
Think u on about my grandad god rest his soul but there’s a few different famerlys

Hi

Thanks
Laura
Are you still active

Hi

Thanks
Laura
Hi Laura, are you still interested in the kirby family? If yes, let’s chat. I attach a picture of Eliza.

Attachments

• 73BA4CC5-A595-49AD-9981-4D44BF5D72E7.jpeg
    73BA4CC5-A595-49AD-9981-4D44BF5D72E7.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 19
Back