• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kirby family (between 1891 and 1911)

All I really know is my grandad was james married to Eliza, my dad was harold and his sister Doris. Hope we can help each other, I know my great uncles were jack and Bert, they were boxers.

I have only focused on James and John Kirby (sons of Eliza and John) as they have colourful profiles. I cannot remember the names of the other children. My Dad believes that we are not connected to the boxing side, however it sounds like they were brothers of the older James (married to Eliza). I'm connected to another girl who is connected to James and Eliza through their daughter Alice. She has provided me with a picture of Eliza. I must warn you it's not a pretty sight.

My number is Send me a text and we can have a quick chat.
By the way, who is your father?
Not a good idea to put emails or mobile numbers like this. Use the "conversation" button as then it is private between you and the other person. To access it click on the person's name on their Avatar (picture on the left) and then "start a conversation".
Janice

Last edited:
im connected to a kirby family through jane kirby who married john goodenough in 1858 in aston is there any connection ?

Hi Jackie yes not so long ago i did mentionion the kirbys family on another site about the kirbys
reagarding john but they call a person by the name of jack and bert kirby whom i missed out on the listing of kirbys yard
which was in kingedwards road ladywood that they was in boxing in the old days meaning there younger days
It was bert i think i left of the nameing because it was late in the evening and i just could not recall his name , thanks for that because
Bert was the one i missed out when trying to recall them from memory of visual rememberence yes he was a boxer in true life
best wishes Astonian,,,

My mother is a Kirby before she got married so my grandad was an original Kirby I'm not sure when he was born but he fought in WW2 so he must have been born in the 20s and he was from Birmingham

I have just found this site by accident and it’s brilliant . My great grandparents were Annie Kirby nee Parton who was married to James Kirby. Their daughter Annie was my grandmother I would love any information anyone has about them. The funny thing is after reading these messages we see the Broadhurst mob described . I married a John Broadhurst and we are wondering if they were from this family . How exciting any information would be great many thanks

Welcome to the forum Amanda.
Your James was a naughty boy as records show.
He married Annie in 1892
1901 , 165 Hurst street
James Kirby age 29 Fruit salesman
Anne age 26
Annie 6
James 7 months

In 1911 3 Nile terrace,
Annie Kirby age 36
Annie 17
James 10
Leonard 8
Arthur 6
Ivy 5
Doris 3
Horace 1

At the time of the 1911 census James was in Winson Green prison where he had been a few times before.
21st April 1893, 3 months for assault on Police constable
2nd April 1906 4 months for theft 1 cap and pair gloves
20th July 1909 1 month for assault
July 1910 3 months for false pretences
Jan 1911 he was on remand for defrauding a lady named Lydia Wyer.Lydia and her husband had a Gentlemans outfitters in Spooner street.

The Kirby family , not just yours , but the whole 'clan' appear to have a colourful past,
I recently read an article about Birmingham 'gangsters' and it was primarily about the Peaky Blinders but it said that the Kirby family in the 20s were so notorious that the people of the City were afraid to testify against them.

Not a boring family tree Amanda , lol,

Enjoy your time on the forum. Alberta.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Amanda.
Your James was a naughty boy as records show.
He married Annie in 1892
1901 , 165 Hurst street
James Kirby age 29 Fruit salesman
Anne age 26
Annie 6
James 7 months

In 1911 3 Nile terrace,
Annie Kirby age 36
Annie 17
James 10
Leonard 8
Arthur 6
Ivy 5
Doris 3
Horace 1

At the time of the 1911 census James was in Winson Green prison where he had been a few times before.
21st April 1893, 3 months for assault on Police constable
2nd April 1906 4 months for theft 1 cap and pair gloves
20th July 1909 1 month for assault
July 1910 3 months for false pretences
Jan 1911 he was on remand for defrauding a lady named Lydia Wyer.Lydia and her husband had a Gentlemans outfitters in Spooner street.

The Kirby family , not just yours , but the whole 'clan' appear to have a colourful past,
I recently read an article about Birmingham 'gangsters' and it was primarily about the Peaky Blinders but it said that the Kirby family in the 20s were so notorious that the people of the City were afraid to testify against them.

Not a boring family tree Amanda , lol,

Enjoy your time on the forum. Alberta.
Wow what a colourful past. Annie married William Herbert Cox and I started by trying to see about his military record as I have his medals. But trying other websites has come up with nothing. It was also interesting in another part of this web site someone mention that the Kirby’s were friends with the Broadhurst’s. what a coincidence as I married a Broadhurst. So interesting. Thank you so much for the info I have passed it on to my sister we have had a good laugh

Don't think our Kirby branch is related to any of the above.
1911 Census found them at 64 Church Lane, Aston.
William Kirby 43
Janet Letitia Kirby 43 (Nee While)
Eva Dorothy Kirby 16
William Norman Kirby 15
Lawrence Victor Kirby 13
Reginald John Kirby 11
Janet Elizabeth Kirby 10
James Frederick Kirby 9
Lucy Honor Kirby 7
Gladys Julia Kirby 4.

Don't think our Kirby branch is related to any of the above.
1911 Census found them at 64 Church Lane, Aston.
William Kirby 43
Janet Letitia Kirby 43 (Nee While)
Eva Dorothy Kirby 16
William Norman Kirby 15
Lawrence Victor Kirby 13
Reginald John Kirby 11
Janet Elizabeth Kirby 10
James Frederick Kirby 9
Lucy Honor Kirby 7
Gladys Julia Kirby 4.
Thanks for your reply definitely think that Alberta has given me the right link. I remember Aunty Ivy but my Grandmother Annie died when she was 46 and my Dad was only 14 . Spoke to my mom who will be 91 soon. She confirmed that the Kirby’s were rogues. She also told me Annie (snr) remarried not sure if she divorced James. More research .

Hi Amanda, James and Annie were my great grandparents, my grandfather being their son Arthur. I have some interesting info if you are interested. This includes a picture of Eliza (James’s mom), marriage certificate for Annie and James and some newspaper clippings relating to James’s run in with the law. My father Sidney (uses Derek) was talking with me about the family only today. Annie did re marry as James disappeared for a long time. The story goes that one day he arrived at her home and was met with her new husband (tricky situation). I also hear that Annie may have been charged with bigamy. However this is just a rumour. Glad to exchange notes.

Hi Amanda, James and Annie were my great grandparents, my grandfather being their son Arthur. I have some interesting info if you are interested. This includes a picture of Eliza (James’s mom), marriage certificate for Annie and James and some newspaper clippings relating to James’s run in with the law. My father Sidney (uses Derek) was talking with me about the family only today. Annie did re marry as James disappeared for a long time. The story goes that one day he arrived at her home and was met with her new husband (tricky situation). I also hear that Annie may have been charged with bigamy. However this is just a rumour. Glad to exchange notes.
Hi I spoke to my Aunt and there was a bigamy case but apparently there had been a letter saying James had died when he was in Ireland. Annie remarried thinking she was a widow. Fortunately my Grandfather her son had seen the letter and went as a witness to court so it went no further. I would love to see any photo’s that you have. My mom has a few photo’s of Annie ( junior) my grandmother . I should be able to get a copy for you .

Back