• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kirby family (between 1891 and 1911)

Hi Laura, are you still interested in the kirby family? If yes, let’s chat. I
Hi Laura, are you still interested in the kirby family? If yes, let’s chat. I attach a picture of Eliza.
Hi

I'm not sure if members are still active who can help but I have recently picked up looking at my family history again after a couple of years. I'm trying to find some information to share with my Grandad when I am able to see him after lockdown.

I don't know if I am linking with the right Kirby family as I wasn't aware there were so many. In short, my grandmother was the oldest daugter of Horace Kirby (1909-1973) who married Lily Sleigh (1908-1949). Horace's parents were James and Ann/Annie Parton with James' parents being James and Eliza Lisemore.

From reading the thread, my grandad has relayed the story of James Jnr disappearing and leaving a note (believed to go to America) and Annie remarrying. There was a court case and Horace was taken out of school by Police to go. It's also interesting to hear about James Jnr's colourful past!

Other than Ancestry I haven't really looked any further for stories etc and would love to know more that I can share. I don't really know where to begin or where to look for information like that so I'd be really grateful for anyone to make contact with info on the family or advice.

Thanks
Laura

Hi Laura, are you still interested in the kirby family? If yes, let’s chat. I attach a picture of Eliza.
Hi, the picture is great do you know who is who on it please.
My grandmother was Annie Kirby. Her mother was Annie Kirby nee Parton.
I was told the tale about the accusation of bigamy. I was told that James disappeared to Ireland to escape the police. Annie senior received a letter stating that he had died. Apparently they didn’t have a very happy marriage. Later she met and married again. According to my mom they were very happy. I think most of the family were involved in the court case. It ended with her not being convicted.

hi laura i am the son of horaces brother arthur sidney,i knew your grandads family and i actually worked with him for a while.he had a daughter named brenda and also mavis,a son named geoff and also malcolm,dot ,his wife gave me a photo of myself when i was about three its the only photo i have as a child and i treasure it,please reply when you can would love to speak to mavis.

Have you seen the records for James Kirby
Missing from the 1911 census because of imprisonment

James Kirby ,b 1871, 5ft 1/2ins, fair complexion, dark brown hair , blue eyes, no marks
sentenced to serve between 13-3-1911 to 28-8-1911 for False pretences.

James Kirby,( alias George Wright) b 1872, 5ft1inch, fair complexion, dark brown hair, blue eyes, no marks
served between 20-10-1914 to 5-6-1915 for larceny.

Hi All,
Just chipping in with some info (which may or may not be relevant). My name is Kelvin Kirby. I was born in 1961. My father Maurice William Kirby was born in 1931 and came from Birmingham. He passed away 12 years ago. My Grandfather, also from Birmingham was Walter Kirby. He was born around the turn of the century and died when I was young (so around 1970-ish). He ran an Engineering business in Birmingham and they did a lot of work for Lucas. Eventually he moved to Temple Grafton (around 1964-5) where my parents had bought a small holding in 1960, and my father built a house there (The Warren). That's where I grew up. My Mother was Joyce Dorothy Kirby (nee Green) born in 1933 - passed away in 2018. My grandmother was Doris Ethel Kirby. I can't be sure of her maiden name, although I think she had a brother called Harold. Would love to know more if anyone can shed any light on the family background. BTW I'm aware that my family may have had a "colourful" past, although I've never come across any actual factual proof. Most of it heresay that came down through family "legend". I am the last surviving Kirby in this line so would be good to know of distant (or not so distant relatives). One thing I do know is that the family name Kirby is a derivation of Kirkby - originally Scottish of course which means "by the church". I suspect therefore a Scottish connection going back some way but don't know when - could be several hundred years!
Many Thanks
Kelvin

Grandmother's name appears to be an easy one - Doris Ethel Hawtin b1899 daughter of Albert Hawtin & Eliza Johnson.

My great grandmother was Rose Kirby. She was the sister of Burt Kirby the boxer. They came from Summer Lane and were scrap yard merchants. One of them had a scrap yard by the Villa ground. I went there with my dad in the seventies.
Rose Kirby married John Hemming and they lived in Edgware Rd Stockland Green. They had numerous children, on of whom, Jessie became my Grandmother. My dad was her son Philip. He was born out of wedlock, which was quite frowned upon in them times (1945), and for reasons unknown, he was brought up in Edgware Rd by his grandmother Rose.
My dad had a flower stool at the bottom of Corporation street and New st. He was known as Phil Kirby. Sadly he passed away in 2006

Back