• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingsway Picture House Kings Heath

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
photo.JPG

Most of Kings Heath closed off today, the old Kingsway Picture House on fire, another old building mysteriously destroyed by fire.

Colin

Last edited:
Hi Colin, I have a vague idea that there was talk of the Kingsway being redeveloped in the papers last year. Hope it's not too badly damaged!

Florence

I heard that the roof has collapsed so that suggests the building is unsafe and will require demolishing, another way for developers to get round planning regulations, apologies for sounding cynical :(:(:(

I went on my first date there in 1961 ,the film was "Whistle Down the Wind" with Hayley Mills & Alan Bates.
Then Saturday nights were watch the Monkees then off to the Kingways , leave just before the National Anthem to get a pint at the Cross Guns before 10.30.

Those were the days !!!!

I dont think you are beeing cynical, I to have voiced the same opinion when other "problem" buildings have suddenly caught fire!!

I took photos of it almost 2 years ago.

The Kingsway - former cinema / bingo hall on High Street in Kings Heath by ell brown, on Flickr

The Kingsway - former cinema / bingo hall on High Street in Kings Heath by ell brown, on Flickr

I hope it can be restored and brought back into use as something.

You should see The Mermaid / The President in Sparkhill. Twice it went up on fire by arson. Was restored once, before it burnt down again. That's currently left as a burnt shell. You can see that the roof of that needs repairing soon (as long as no one burns it down again).

From the Birmimgham Mail / Sunday Mercury

Fire rips through Kings Heath bingo hall in suspected arson attack

the-roof-collapses-on-the-former-gala-bingo-hall-in-high-street-kings-heath-picture-by-tony-kennedy-903128071.jpg

A HUGE fire tore through an old bingo hall in Birmingham today in a suspected arson attack.
The former Gala Bingo Hall, in High Street, Kings Heath, became an inferno as the blaze ripped through the 1920s building and closed two nearby roads.
More than 50 firefighters were at the scene and seven flats near to the property were evacuated as a big plume of smoke engulfed the surrounding streets.
Eyewitness Councillor Tony Kennedy, who lives half a mile from the scene said he was woken up in the morning by the strong smell of smoke.
“I sleep with the window open and was woken up by the smell of smoke,” he told the Sunday Mercury.
“I could hear crackling and thought either my house or the neighbours property was on fire. I looked outside and could see smoke everywhere. I went outside to investigate and the whole area seemed to be engulfed by thick smoke.

So sad this seems to be a plague at the moment to get round planning regulations. So many Pubs have been burnt. The mill in Walsall a couple of years ago was a real tragedy. Cynical Mike I don't think so....:(:(

I wonder if the police ever do any serious investigations when these fires break out? Maybe its high time they did!!

Updated article and video at the Birmingham Mail

Watch: Kings Heath bingo hall fire investigation continues

INVESTIGATORS are looking at the causes of a fire which ripped through a much-loved former bingo hall in Birmingham.
The vacant Gala venue in High Street, Kings Heath, was turned into an inferno at 6.30am on Saturday and the swift intervention of more than 50 firefighters could not stop its roof caving in.
The three-storey 1920s building, which also used to be a cinema, was up for sale after attempts to turn it into a banqueting hall failed.
Eyewitness councillor Tony Kennedy, who lives half a mile from the hall, said: “I sleep with the window open and was woken up by the smell of smoke.
“I could hear crackling and thought either my house or the neighbour’s property was on fire.
“I looked outside and could see smoke everywhere. I went to investigate and the whole area seemed to be engulfed by thick smoke.
“It was such a huge fire that it had caused chaos in the entire neighbourhood.”
Coun Kennedy said the inside of the building was in very good condition before the fire.
Drivers faced disruption as two roads around the building were closed for four hours.
West Midlands Fire Service spokesman Roger Moore said the fire was “of doubtful origin” and that arson could not be ruled out.
Fire officers spent yesterday re-visiting the hall to carry out safety checks.

Read More https://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2011/09/19/kings-heath-bingo-hall-fire-investigation-continues-97319-29445279/#ixzz1YQO9EkRy

Bill Parker:

The police don't investigate simply because unless they actually catch the culprit in the act, the CPS won't bother to prosecute. Way back in the late 1960s I did some export consultancy work for a company in Dorset. The owner of the Company later admitted to me that he had been fiddling the Purchase Tax and was in danger of being found out. Late one Saturday night he said that he had used a string of plastic straws and some cans of cellulose thinners to set fire to the building, but although the Fire Brigade knew it was arson, the police took no action against him. That's the reality of life I'm afraid. :(

Maurice :cool:

So sad,I have lots of happy memories of the "Kingsway".At least they can't destroy those.

It was a class cinima.i first went there about 1938 to the Sat.morning show for children.then over the years many visits.
When I discovered girls around 1946 took Jean,Barbera,Joyce,Jackie.Around 1948 moved to Northfield changed to the Danilo and Patrica
Happy days
JH

Bill Parker:

The police don't investigate simply because unless they actually catch the culprit in the act, the CPS won't bother to prosecute. Way back in the late 1960s I did some export consultancy work for a company in Dorset. The owner of the Company later admitted to me that he had been fiddling the Purchase Tax and was in danger of being found out. Late one Saturday night he said that he had used a string of plastic straws and some cans of cellulose thinners to set fire to the building, but although the Fire Brigade knew it was arson, the police took no action against him. That's the reality of life I'm afraid. :(

Maurice :cool:

Yes Sosprini your probably right but

As I said, maybe its about time they did investigate, arson is after all a criminal offence its to easy for the police to not get involved, this is why we pay taxes and it NOT up to the police to say what they do and what they dont do...........I would have loved a job like that.

hi sospira
yes you are quite correct ;the police do not want to know they do not get involved and the west midlands fire service
only sus out the fire for causes and make a finding for records sake and thats the end of it ;
and then the panners or powers to be with in the council give the owner or the new alledge buy about five years to re roof the proprty
and in the mean time its stands deilect ; and then it gets sold again and then the people concerned demolish the building then its ground is sold just like tyburn rd the years old coffee shop owned by the jelfs allrdged sold to a london firm but came back to a birmingham firm inwithin three weeks ;and openened up as a fish and chip shop and a pizza for a couple of wekes and then lord and behold a big fire
destroyed the ancient building and the roof destroyed and left for years then when questioned asked it was demolished within days and left in a pile of rubble; and later the land was cleared six weeks later and nowthe land is to let today the spot is next to vip bedding on tyburn rd for all to se with its sign ;this ishappening quite alot around brum ;
there is big questions to be answered and no one wants to know we are told the various departments are curious but no fed back ;;
best wishes astonian

Does anyone have any old photographs of the Kingsway Cinema in Kings Heath...unfortunately I'm too young to have ever been there when it was actually a cinema and before it closed in 1980 (the year I was born)...but I'd love to see some photos of what it looked like both inside and out. It's such a shame that it's now in ruins...it would make such a great local cinema and diner / bowling alley etc if there was lots of money and thought (and love) put back into it.

Haven't seem too many picture of The Kingsway alone, most of the images, such as those on my site https://www.bhamb14.co.uk/index_files/HIGHSTREET.htm it only appears in the distant or on the edge of a photo, there are quite a few photos before and after the fire on 28days Later (you will need to register to see them).
There have been a number of proposals for the building/site but all have had problems with in-sufficient car parking space.

Colin

Sorry no photos of the interior, but I have this one of the outside along with a notice of the opening of the Kingsway.

Attachments

• Kingsway.jpg
    Kingsway.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 71
Back