• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingsway Picture House Kings Heath

Last I heard was plans had been submitted to retain the front and incorporate it into the new building. However, that was a while ago and things seem to have stalled.

Presumably they are going to make the shop as big as they can, or will it be an arcade of several small shops. The way high street retail is going, the latter seems more likely if it going to last more than a year or so. It will also need some sensitive work at the front end to blend in what is left of the original facade. And why do the interiors of these bingo halls have to be painted in such awful garish colours?

Maurice :cool:

There is now a canopy at the back. I think they are turning it into a temporary outdoor cinema?

View off Poplar Road.

The Kingsway seen from the High Street in Kings Heath with lovely street art of dancers.

Even the door has been painted on.

Good news about the Kingsway cinema, the developers have announced their plan for the site:

We are excited to share the news that our proposed development of Kingsway, Kings Heath includes a brand new 2-screen cinema, housed behind the fully-restored original neo-classical facade. The scheme would also include restaurant or retail space and then 49 apartments and an undercroft car park at the rear of the site. The existing surface car park at the front would be replaced by a "market square", a perfect place for events and it would also re-connect the building with the High Street. You can find more info on our website and we will be able to answer your questions at the forthcoming Public Consultation. Feel free to drop in anytime between 4pm-7.30pm on 14th July at the New Life Baptist Church, 80 High Street, Kings Heath

Kingsway.jpg

Good news about the Kingsway cinema, the developers have announced their plan for the site:

We are excited to share the news that our proposed development of Kingsway, Kings Heath includes a brand new 2-screen cinema, housed behind the fully-restored original neo-classical facade. The scheme would also include restaurant or retail space and then 49 apartments and an undercroft car park at the rear of the site. The existing surface car park at the front would be replaced by a "market square", a perfect place for events and it would also re-connect the building with the High Street. You can find more info on our website and we will be able to answer your questions at the forthcoming Public Consultation. Feel free to drop in anytime between 4pm-7.30pm on 14th July at the New Life Baptist Church, 80 High Street, Kings Heath

View attachment 171473
What fantastic news. I wish the developers all success in their endeavour.

Just read this post from Mikejee Post #18 on Curzon Street Hotel thread. Hope this is not the case here.

Last edited:
Good news went to Kings Heath not long ago, first time in 58 years. Kingsway Cinema did look a sorry site. I saw many a film there in my youth. I think the last one I saw was Sodem and Gomorrah.

View attachment 171473
They haven't yet applied for planning permission. The meeting at the Church is to canvass public opinion. Then they will submit their plans.

Good news went to Kings Heath not long ago, first time in 58 years. Kingsway Cinema did look a sorry site. I saw many a film there in my youth. I think the last one I saw was Sodem and Gomorrah.
In the 50s, used to go to Saturday am session for kids. Next to the cinema was The Birmingham Saving bank.

In the 50s, used to go to Saturday am session for kids. Next to the cinema was The Birmingham Saving bank.
Saturday Matinee, thank you minors, used to get called up into the front if it was your birthday, stamping feet when Ming appears and cheered when Flash Gordon was on screen.

Back