• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingsthorne Cranbourne Rd School

Great photos Bob. That stage looks familiar, although much, much smaller than I remember. Thanks for posting. Viv.

Ha ha ha....
I've just read the previous threads and found the photos fascinating. I was there with Jeff Egan and we had a fight in the toilets, and we've been mates since.
Great to have been there, great memories.View attachment 154963View attachment 154964
That's definitely us two in the staged "fight"
Can't remember where that pic was taken though. Look a bit old for CRANBOURNE ROAD SCHOOL.
Bobx was always your ID on the card in the Hare and Hounds.

Please PM me. Its high time we had a good catch up. I'm in regular touch with Peter Ricketts, Paul Hayes, and Ray Turner.

That stage brought back memories. I’m not sure how old I was either in top infants, or the first year of junior school. The school put on Peter Pan, and I was chosen to be nana the dog , I kid you not.
I even had a costume made by the school it was brown fur, had a tail, and a head i guess of paper mache, and painted or maybe had fur on it .
The dogs head was fitted over mine, and I could only see out if the mouth.
I had to sing how much is that doggie in the window.
The play was around Christmas time 1955/56, and I remember walking home with Mum, and when we were passing Wanstead Grove we looked up, and saw a shooting star, it was magical.
Of cause after that I had huge aspirations to became an actress for about 6 months.
The stage then looked massive.

The original thread which I started about the school has disappeared, so I'm re-posting below the piece I wrote for this thread of my early memories of the school. It would be great to hear memories from other pupils of the school.

Kingsthorne Infant and Junior School (formerly Cranbourne Road Infant and Junior School)

The school was built in 1931 to accommodate the rapid expansion in the number of families being housed in the newly developed Kingstanding area. Set within a substantial 1930s housing estate, its design and facilities would have been the most up to date in school design. Its modern, low-level architecture was a vastly different to that of the old Victorian schools.

Built around a quadrangle, with a large, central, grass area the school had an air of calmness and security. The edges of the grass quadrangle were surrounded by enclosed walkways and the classrooms facing the large playgrounds to the back and front had covered, but open walkways. Many of the classrooms had views of the playgrounds around its perimeter. All the woodwork for these walkways in the 1950s was painted green. But I believe these were originally brown. The walkway branched away from the school at one point and continued a route towards the outside toilet block. Nearby was a greenhouse and a brick-built air-raid shelter. By the time I attended the school, the original use of the shelter had thankfully passed and it became the secret domain of the caretaker for his tools and equipment. The caretaker's house was on the Cranbourne Road side near the school entrance. Cranbourne Road could be seen down below us from the playground on that side. This seemed to us youngsters like a very steep drop.

Adjacent to the playground, on the Tansley Road side of the school was an enormous brick wall, behind which was a series of wooden huts. Occasionally these huts were used for lessons and it is here that I learned about £ s d. The end hut nearest the Tansley Road school entrance housed a nursery for pre-school children, but I never attended nursery, I went to a childminder.

As for most new pupils, my first day at school at the age of 5 was pretty memorable. On arrival at 9.00 a.m I was allocated my cloakroom peg for my coat and pump bag. I had my own pump bag containing my new plimsoles, some biscuits in a brown paper bag and a sugar mouse. (The sugar mouse was probably not allowed, but was a surprise popped into my bag from my mum).

I was daily mesmerised by the practice of ringing the school hand bell. Sometimes a child would walk along the covered corridor holding the bell upside down by its clapper before swinging it back and forth to announce the start of break, lunch-time or home time. I so hoped that one day I'd be chosen to carry out that job. But that responsibility would have to wait until I reached the junior section of the school.

As the morning progressed, the smell of cooking would slowly waft around the playground. Cooking of school meals was carried out in another row of huts on the Tansley Road side. Liver and onions always springs to mind. Its smell never fails to transport me back to those early school days. Sadly there's no escaping the fact that some of the cooking was not at its best, especially mashed potato and custard. I think almost all school mashed potato across the land has at one time or another suffered with 'black eye' affliction and custard with its lumpy, floury bits.

My first day at school flew past. At 4.00 the boy walked the corridor holding the bell upside down by the clapper and, with a long swing, rang out its sound. I was shocked and disappointed that the day was over. When I politely asked my lovely teacher: "Shall I come back tomorrow?" she kindly replied "Yes please"! I expect she later had a little chuckle about that later on with her colleagues in the staffroom.

The school routine quickly established itself in my mind. Each day started off with assembly in the hall. There was an old record player (with an arm and needle) which was always set to play a piece of classical music as all the classes entered the hall. The most popular piece was the 'flight of the bumblebee' - I don't know if that's the actual title, but that's what we called it. One of the many talks by the Headteacher related the origins of the name of Kingsthorne school. He told us it was inspired by a story about an old man who'd been walking and rested his walking stick on the ground. From that a new shrub grew which had thorns. Now whether that's the actual story or not I can't say, but that's how it registered in my mind. The story most probably contained an important message for us children, but it if did, it by-passed my understanding.

The days in Kingsthorne Infants were filled with wonderful activities: games, talks by interesting people (e.g. road safety!), writing with dipping pens and blotting paper, knitting, sewing and preparing for special events like the Christmas nativity or Harvest Festival. Many absorbing hours were spent making our first Christmas paper lanterns and paper chains which we'd string across the classroom. We also spent much time in the build-up to Christmas rehearsing the Nativity. One year I was chosen to be the Angel Gabriel, the following year I was 'H' in our MERRY CHRISTMAS card line up. At Easter, the line across the classroom would support a host of coloured paper baskets containing little paper easter eggs or chicks. At Harvest Festival we'd be asked to take food into school to contribute to a local care home. It was always a last minute scamble to find something to take in from home and so my contribution could have been anything from a tin of baked beans or digestive biscuits to a beautifully home grown cabbage from our garden.

In the winter or on wet days we had games lessons in the hall. There were the usual benches to balance on and a few climbing bars to clamber up the wall. Our lesson usually started off with throwing small bean bags through enormous hoops on high poles. Not very challenging, but I loved the feel of the bean bag as you tossed it from one hand to the other. Very satisfying.

When the weather was fine, we had rounders games outside in the playground on the Tansley Road side. We sometimes combined games with learning french phrases too. Must have been some modern idea to make it fun to learn another language. We had lessons on handling money in the pretend shop in the huts. And in geography lessons we'd be allowed to check out the weather measurements in a special weather station box which was in the middle of the grass quadrangle. One special geography project involvedthe whole class making a replica of the Elan Valley in papier-mâché. The grass quadrangle was also sometimes used for lessons in summer. I remember making a basic photo out there, with a piece oflino. However, to this day I have no idea how it worked.

The monkey bars (climbing bars) in the side playground near the air-aid shelter were a favourite with us girls at break times. These consisted of a series of bars for swinging on or a climbing frame for crawling up. We had great fun performing acrobatic moves. The bars were like scaffolding and the floor was solid concrete, unlike the soft surfaces playgrounds have today. So it was a risky business performing these gymnastic moves, but that didn't seem to bother us at all.

We had day trips to Kenilworth Castle, Dudley Zoo and Aston Hall. Mum filled the Duffle bag with a Packer Mac, cheese sandwiches wrapped in greaseproof paper and a biscuit. I had a special small, felt purse in the shape of an Austrian hat for my spending money. In my mind I was rich and spent the entire coach journey planning for all the things I was going to buy on the trip.

Miss Mole, Headmistress of the infants section would reward you with dolly mixtures for good work. Her office was up some steps to a second level, but only this part of the school had a second floor, all the classrooms were single storey. I remember very little about Miss Mole, but I vividly remember her highly valued little bags of dolly mixtures.

These days were the happiest schooldays of my life. One day in the not too distant future, the dreaded talk of tests and 11 plus exams would arrive. But for now these were carefree times when each day rolled happily on into the next.

By Viv Walker
i attended Kingsthorne from 1962. Nursery, infants & juniors before going on to complete my education at Kingsrise school for young Ladies & Gentlemen. Thanks Viv. Wonderful descriptive account of your time at Cranbourne road. Jogged so many memories for me. GT.

Hi Viv
The photo of the girls in the hut entrance above rings a bell. The two smiling girls at the front are very familiar to me. The girl on the right looks like Joyce Healey who was in my class. I'm probably wrong, but it was at least 60 years ago.

Jeff

Daimlerman. I’m certain the girl to the front right with racquet was Christine Lomax (lived on Atlantic Road). The girl lying on the steps above her was Carole Sayers, above her ... not sure. To her left was Mary Jones (lived on Kingstanding Road), below her lying down was Judith ..., ?, next down not sure. Then at the bottom of the steps with the racquet was Susan Eaves (lived in Atlantic Road).

Mary and Judith went on the KEGS and Susan went on to Stockland Green Bilateral.

Viv

Reading this thread again I in about 1947 our class was taken to the Birmingham Town Hall to perform a a sea shanty on the sage we was dressed in black a white stripe shorts abs black class made hats

With the recent very cold weather it’s made me think of how welcoming it was arriving at Kingsthorne School in the 1950s. Coming from a house heated by just one open coal fire, I can remember being hit by the heat from the school radiators and sitting in a warm and snuggly classroom (thank you Mr Caretaker !). I never remember arriving in winter to a cold school while I was there.

But I also remember the outside toilets. Although there was a covered but open walkway to reach them, they were outside towards the old air raid shelter. It was soooo cold there in the winter as the doors to the toilets were not ceiling to floor - 12”ish gap top and bottom. Probably put many of us kids off using them.

Viv.

Remember it in the late 40s having walk from Birdbrook Rd up Dyas Rd. which at that time hadn’t been built it was a track with the sandpits. The worst 1947 winter those toilets was wicked but the classrooms made up for it. The bottles of milk we had the top was forced off with the frost it was horrible milk. Bad as they were we just got on with it with
no buses to school you walked with no real cold weather clothing and rationing still in place it was hard but we survived.

With the recent very cold weather it’s made me think of how welcoming it was arriving at Kingsthorne School in the 1950s. Coming from a house heated by just one open coal fire, I can remember being hit by the heat from the school radiators and sitting in a warm and snuggly classroom (thank you Mr Caretaker !). I never remember arriving in winter to a cold school while I was there.

But I also remember the outside toilets. Although there was a covered but open walkway to reach them, they were outside towards the old air raid shelter. It was soooo cold there in the winter as the doors to the toilets were not ceiling to floor - 12”ish gap top and bottom. Probably put many of us kids off using them.

Viv.
Oh yes the warmth of the school radiators. Kids arriving in wellingtons and Duffle coats along with balaclavas and wooly gloves.
The caretaker, Mr Alderwick, would Stoke up the boilers early. They were coke fired under the infants school hall.
I don't ever recall the school being closed on snow days, even during the big freeze of winter 1962/63. The temperatures remained around freezing from boxing day (First snow) until March. Snow was piled up on street corners, which turned filthy black over time.
We even made an igloo in our back garden.
The only times I can remember the weather disrupting school was if fog descended in the afternoon. That good old thick yellow pea soup fog would bring everything to a crawl on the roads and we were sent home early. Brrrrrrr.

Jeff

This thread has been so interesting to read. Unfortunately, I lost my Nan last year and we found some pieces of paper that she once wrote, that my mum kept, all about her childhood. She lived on Rodwell Grove at the time, I think! And in these memories she wrote, she talked about attending 'Cranborn Road School' which I assume is a slight spelling error hehe and that she was talking about this school... Her name was Margaret Gough (her maiden name, she married and became Margaret Black as of 1964) and she was born in Oct 1943. Unsure which years she would have attended the school but just thought it was nice to post anyway.

It's been so lovely, reading this thread and seeing memories others have had of the school and can imagine what it may have been like for her. So thank you! :)

hi jade so sorry to hear of the loss of your nan...i live a few yards away from rodwell grove which only has about half a dozen houses including the old farm workers cottages...although a few years older than your nan lived a lovely lady called mary who was born there and she used to tell me about the day the german bombers came swooping over rodwell grove firing over the area and they had to run and take cover...mary had to leave the grove a few years ago to go into a home...i would image that your nan started at cranbourne school round about 1948..i would also think that mary knew your nan..how lovely to have those scraps of paper...hang onto them

lyn

Last edited:
Photo from facebook site trying to identify unknown photos, which identifies this as the school, and one comment links to this thread.

Cranbourne Road School now Kingsthorne Primary School.jpg

That's certainly how I remember it, except for the painted play markings. Caretaker's house at the right front, infants to the left juniors to the right and the front corners the respective heads offices.
Photo from facebook site trying to identify unknown photos, which identifies this as the school, and one comment links to this thread.

View attachment 180666

Definitely Cranbourne (later Kingsthorne)Junior Infants. Judging by the lack of shrubs/trees its an early photo of the school, maybe late 1930s ? There are still the air raid shelters to the right behind the Caretaker's house (bottom right). These were still there in the 1950s and into the 1960s. There are no wooden overspill huts on the bank near Tansley Road side (top of the photo) - these were there in the 1950s. There are only a few children in the playgrounds, but not many. Maybe the photo shows the school when it had just opened ?

It's strange, that I had no concept of how big the school was when I attended it and I only remember ever using the playground that runs along the Tansley Road side and the one near the Caretaker's house. Viv.

I have a memory of Mr Martin whose class I was in around 1963. A great teacher, firm but fair. He was obviously a very good teacher being, not only able to teach his subjects in an engaging way, but was also a very good classroom manager. From memory I think he had a lecturn-type desk, in my mind it was high up and mid-oak in colour. During English composition classes he would test individual pupils in spelling. While the rest of the class beavered away at their writing, he'd call you up to his high desk and ask you certain spellings of previously set words. Fortunately I was OK with spelling, but some must have had a terrible time, squirming away under the piercing gaze of Mr Martin.

Thinking back it was quite daunting, but somehow I managed to get through, probably because I made sure I knew my spellings. I think it's almost largely downn to his teaching and encouragement that I passed the 11 plus. Some teachers you have vivid memories of, some for very positive reasons like Mr Martin and some for not such good reasons and memories.

Viv

I have a memory of Mr Martin whose class I was in around 1963. A great teacher, firm but fair. He was obviously a very good teacher being, not only able to teach his subjects in an engaging way, but was also a very good classroom manager. From memory I think he had a lecturn-type desk, in my mind it was high up and mid-oak in colour. During English composition classes he would test individual pupils in spelling. While the rest of the class beavered away at their writing, he'd call you up to his high desk and ask you certain spellings of previously set words. Fortunately I was OK with spelling, but some must have had a terrible time, squirming away under the piercing gaze of Mr Martin.

Thinking back it was quite daunting, but somehow I managed to get through, probably because I made sure I knew my spellings. I think it's almost largely downn to his teaching and encouragement that I passed the 11 plus. Some teachers you have vivid memories of, some for very positive reasons like Mr Martin and some for not such good reasons and memories.

Viv
Hi Viv,
Mr Martin was of the old school, firm but fair brigade.

I too recall those spelling tests and the twists and turns of English grammar. I liked him and found him approachable.

He wasn't a hard disciplinarian, but one day he pulled out this huge tennor recorder and started playing.
Of course, I was parked in the closest desk to him for some reason. Ahem!
I started giggling and looking round at my mate to see if he was giggling. Then CLUNK! , the big recorder landed on top of my head, which caused far more hilarity in the class, than I was trying to muster. Ouch. Mr Martin, didn't say anything and carried on playing.

Mr Martin was also a fine amature cricketer. I think he played for Warwickshire at some point.

He sometimes joined us lads playing cricket against the wall in the top playground, where wickets were painted.
You didn't want to be batting if Mr Martin decided to bowl. He could almost demolish the wall and send us kids scattering.

Hats off to Mr Martin, he was one of the good guys.

Couldn't agree more. He certainly lived and breathed teaching. I had high hopes when I left the school, but 'big school' wasn't quite what I expected. Happy days at KJS. Viv.

This must have been the reason the 'huts' were removed. There was a block each side of the rear school entrance. One of the wooden huts used to house the kitchens where school meals were cooked - a fire hazard in itself.

Screenshot_20240116_084023_Chrome.jpg

The wooden huts I remember very well.
The cookhouse was one side of the Tansley road entrance, the othe side was the nursery, where i was bundled into each day, aged about 4. The school dinners were trollied across to the halls in aluminium trays and tubs. The dinners cost 5/1d. Five shillings for 5 dinners, and a penny for the flowers on the tables. The dinner queue was supervised by a little lady named Mrs Priest. Her catchphrase was "Gravy love"?
At Christmas time, father Christmas came with a sack of toys and games. I think it was Mr Alderwick, the caretaker in disguise.
The wooden huts housed the library and a couple of classrooms. At one point, they were used by children with special needs. I think that experiment only lasted a couple of terms.
The Huts were raised off the ground and it was great sport for us lads to scramble underneath and hide during war games.

The big brick wall separating the huts from the playground was also a challenge to us lads. First, to see who could run up the playground and scramble up and over the wall. Second, was to walk along the top of the wall. This was a dangerous game as a fall of about 8 feet into the playground would have caused injury.
The practice was banned, as was scurrying off behind the huts. It was deemed out of bounds.

The Caretaker Mr Alderwick, often left the gates unlocked for an hour or so after school. The local lads would return and play football until the caretaker chucked us out.
Another game which was soon banned, was called tracking. Boys would climb on the shoulders of taller lads and scramble up onto the walkway roofs and hide, to be tracked and found by others.

My earliest memory in life is of stiiting in my pram, in our back yard, just 3 doors from the school and hearing children singing in the hall, then hearing the noise of all the kids outside at playtime, ending when the bell rang.
Its ironic that at nearly 70 years old, that first memory of life, and the school has remained so clear.

Long live a great little school.

Jeff

Great post Jeff. In case you havent seen it, there's a photo of the 'Wall' in post #2 - me and some classmates sitting on it. No sense of fear of the drop down! There's another of one of the hut entrances. Looks like the entrances up the steps to two classrooms. These weren't used much in the 1950s, but we sometimes had a lesson in one of them, one I remember was to learn using money. It was set up like a shop.

Great post Jeff. In case you havent seen it, there's a photo of the 'Wall' in post #2 - me and some classmates sitting on it. No sense of fear of the drop down! There's another of one of the hut entrances. Looks like the entrances up the steps to two classrooms. These weren't used much in the 1950s, but we sometimes had a lesson in one of them, one I remember was to learn using money. It was set up like a shop.
Hi Viv,
Those photos are great. You're quite right in the fact that none of us feared falling off the wall. It never crossed our minds that falling into the playground would probably result in broken arms etc.
I remember a lad named Noel, falling off the monkey bars, or jungle gym, as we called it. He banged his head and lay twitching, unconcious. Mrs Priest, the dinner lady came and scooped him up; poor lad.

Do you remember the yo-yo craze? Everybody got one after a chap came into the bottom playground, (Later separated as the girls playground, boys were only allowed in the top playground).
The chap who came in was demonstrating all sorts of tricks like "walking the dog" plus other impressive stunts. He was obviously some sort of sales rep. Within days, half the kids in the school were yo-yoing. Another craze I remember was the Superballs. A small black ball made from highly compressed rubber, called Zircon. They were fantastic.
Some other games came and went. "Hot rice" being one, where a group would decide on a lad to throw a tennis ball and try to hit one of the others all running around. Once hit, it was your turn to throw.
Hide and seek with the akeying post. The person who was "on" would hunt the others hiding. Once found, it was a race back to the post and shout "Akey one-two-three! War games, cops and robbers, skipping, all sorts of games made up from pure imagination.
On cold days, a favourite game was playing trains. A long line of kids running around holding onto the coat in front. The leader would puff out breath into the cold air pretending to be the engine. One lad would trot around the playground on his own, pretending to be a bus stopping at various points hoping to pick up passengers, while making all the correct bus noises..ding-ding..pssssst chhhhhh.

No computer games, mobile phones, or anything. Just imagination and wild fun for 20 minutes. Maybe thats what is missing in the modern age, leading to all sorts of "issues". All I remember is it was a happy place. The occasional scrap between two boys, all to queensbury rules, no kicking or spitting, then once finished, they shook hands. Such gentlemen we were. Haha.

Just been looking over Mikejee's post #*46 again. That aeriel photo has sparked a memory about being in the playground and looking over the fence (think it must have been a metal fence) and wondering what it would be like to be a junior on the other side of the fence. The kids in the junior playground seemed so, so much older to me and I remember feeling a bit anxious about 'moving up'. So I must have been standing in the infant's playground looking across to the juniors. That's the only memory I have of the infant's playground and the first time I've thought about it all these years later.

On the right- hand side is a covered walkway leading from the junior school to the outside toilets. I remember feeling very, very sick one day in Mr Martin's class (right over on the other side of the school) and having to run from the class to the toilets along that covered walkway. I just made it in time !

When in junior school I think for us girls the favourite spot was around the monkey bars. We worked hard at perfecting our moves on the bars. I also remember being there after school and eventually being ushered out by the caretaker. There was never any issue about getting home on time as I was a 'latchkey kid' All I had to do was make sure the tea was started (which mum would have prepped in her lunch hour) and was ready to eat when she and dad got in from work.

Oh yes the warmth of the school radiators. Kids arriving in wellingtons and Duffle coats along with balaclavas and wooly gloves.
The caretaker, Mr Alderwick, would Stoke up the boilers early. They were coke fired under the infants school hall.
I don't ever recall the school being closed on snow days, even during the big freeze of winter 1962/63. The temperatures remained around freezing from boxing day (First snow) until March. Snow was piled up on street corners, which turned filthy black over time.
We even made an igloo in our back garden.
The only times I can remember the weather disrupting school was if fog descended in the afternoon. That good old thick yellow pea soup fog would bring everything to a crawl on the roads and we were sent home early. Brrrrrrr.

Jeff
Reading through the thread i noticed your sister was Christina . I sat behind her I guess in our last year before going to senior school.
If I remember she sat next to Richard Reynolds, sitting next to me was Stevie Winwood long before the fame part.
She was good pals with Dorothy Thompson who i also was pals with.
When we all went our separate ways to senior school and lost touch mostly with those that had been in infant and junior school.
I passed the first part of the 11 plus, but not the second part, and consequently went to Kings Rise of which I hated the majority of the time. Leaving 2 months after I was 15.
However, I actually believe that Kingsthorn Cranbourne gave me enough education to be able to enter nursing as a pupil nurse, and becoming a qualified SEN, and much later in life converting to a RGN.
Hope all is still well with your sisters.

Hi Diane1947
Unfortunately, Christina passed away six years ago, after a long illness, quite young really . Marie is still going strong. I met up with Dorothy Thompson and Theresa Williams, last summer , with Marie.
I recall Chris talking about Richard Reynolds and Steven Winwood, I remember came in our house and slid down the kitchen wall onto the floor.
Chris passed her 12 plus, a sort of resit for the 11 plus, and went to Marsh Hill grammar school.

Hi Diane1947
Unfortunately, Christina passed away six years ago, after a long illness, quite young really . Marie is still going strong. I met up with Dorothy Thompson and Theresa Williams, last summer , with Marie.
I recall Chris talking about Richard Reynolds and Steven Winwood, I remember came in our house and slid down the kitchen wall onto the floor.
Chris passed her 12 plus, a sort of resit for the 11 plus, and went to Marsh Hill grammar school.

Class 1:1, 1962; at Kingsthorn juniors that me, Jeffrey Egan, top row far left. Teacher was Miss Mathews. Photo courtesy of Ray Turner, still my pal, next to me top row.
IMG-20240214-WA0002.jpg

Back