• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

Amazing that we were delivered by the same midwife Outinthesticks ! Mum said she was a no messing sort of nurse. Very businesslike in the way she went about delivering babies. I was a difficult birth and nearly didn’t make it, and if it weren’t for Nurse Cook, I probably wouldn’t be here. Viv.

For years I've tired to remember exactly were there was a nursery (the plantsman type) along Kingstanding Road. Now I've just spotted this on Google maps and think it might be the place. This spot is just along from Old Oscott Hill, heading towards the Circle. Does anyone know if this was once a nursery? We used to buy plants, shrubs etc from there, maybe even our Christmas tree. I did wonder if it was part of a farm, but we definitely used to go in through a gate off K'standing Rd. I'm talking about it being there in the mid/late 1950s. Viv.

View attachment 85721

Had a breakthrough on this today, I’ve now found the name of the nursery: Grasmere Nurseries. Seems they sold a lot of shrubs, just as I remember in the 1950s/60s. They seem to have opened on a Sunday. I have a very vague memory of going there on a Sunday morning followed by Sunday School at the Settlement, then home for Sunday lunch.

In the 1940s they seem to have bought up lots of turf. Maybe this is when the gardening/home improvement movement got going.

The first advert is from 1965, the second two from 1948.

Viv.

Attachments

• F1980A2B-C7B2-4EFB-A221-ED7ECEFF10CF.jpeg
    F1980A2B-C7B2-4EFB-A221-ED7ECEFF10CF.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 42CBCB8E-C3A7-42AB-91EE-656E317B2D3B.jpeg
    42CBCB8E-C3A7-42AB-91EE-656E317B2D3B.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 9BB7399A-A592-4F77-BF48-3C43572C6643.jpeg
    9BB7399A-A592-4F77-BF48-3C43572C6643.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi folks, I’m looking to see if anyone has any class photos from Kingsland School between the years of 1974-1981

Hi Vicky,
Yes I believe Dulwich Rd infants is now Warren farm infants,
I also went to Dulwich Rd senior boy's school that was way back in the early forties, also I was in the scoutsat Brackenberry Rd Church
Mr Howe was Scoutmaster, his wife was head of the girl guides
I'm not sure of the wherabouts of the farm so I won't guess
My understanding, from looking at a map drawn around 1920 is that the buildings of Warren Farm were about where the junction of Charlton Road and Dulwich Road is today and from the map it looks like it was accessed from Hawthorn Road along a track that is roughly where Charlton Road is today.

thanks mike i always thought that warren farm was situated a bit further over on warren farm road so i have just learned something

lyn

Had a breakthrough on this today, I’ve now found the name of the nursery: Grasmere Nurseries. Seems they sold a lot of shrubs, just as I remember in the 1950s/60s. They seem to have opened on a Sunday. I have a very vague memory of going there on a Sunday morning followed by Sunday School at the Settlement, then home for Sunday lunch.

In the 1940s they seem to have bought up lots of turf. Maybe this is when the gardening/home improvement movement got going.

The first advert is from 1965, the second two from 1948.

Viv.
I'm almost sure Grasmere Nurseries to left of Midlands Counties Dairy on Kingstanding Road near the junction with Cranbourne Road.

Looking on Streetview I’d say it was where Heather Croft is now - relatively modern development. Seems appropriately named ! Viv.

Hi there, I am wondering if anyone remembers a Mr. Albert Parry that lived at 122 Cranbourne Road from about 1939 until he passed away in 1977 - his wife was called Alice and he had two sons Kenneth and David (also another son Roy who passed away young).

Hi there, I am wondering if anyone remembers a Mr. Albert Parry that lived at 122 Cranbourne Road from about 1939 until he passed away in 1977 - his wife was called Alice and he had two sons Kenneth and David (also another son Roy who passed away young).

Last edited:
He was our doctor until he moved to Canada, a very nice man and a damned good doctor, he had cause to deal with my wife a few times, she was a bit accident prone, he stitched her leg when she dropped a glass panel and it sliced into it. He also attended our house when she had a fit whilst pregnant with our second child.
The docs who took over were the McMinns, husband and wife, they were customers of mine when I worked at Brooklyn Garage.

Blimey, I remember Dr McMinn. She must have been there a long time. She was my doctor when I was at school in the early nineties.

The ones to your right as you walked down Dyas Road were not fenced off when I moved into Birdbrook Road in 1956, I used to go across the top and down as a shortcut to my house, still the same when I moved out in 1965.

They were built on some time after I left.

Opposite my house was an open field that later became, I believe, the driving test centre.

Ps. I went to Cranbourne Road school too, from 1940 to 45

My Sisters Brenda and Gertrude and I lived with my Mother and Father at 106 Atlantic road, next to our house there was some waste land known as the dip opposite the Dip there was a right of way through to Kingstanding Road, this was a short cut To and from Cranborne road school and the 29 bus stop for people who lived in Birdbrook Rd Rodlington Ave and the back of the houses on one side of Corbridge ave ( I think that was the name , its been a long time ago since I was in that aria. Al.

My Sisters Brenda and Gertrude and I lived with my Mother and Father at 106 Atlantic road, next to our house there was some waste land known as the dip opposite the Dip there was a right of way through to Kingstanding Road, this was a short cut To and from Cranborne road school and the 29 bus stop for people who lived in Birdbrook Rd Rodlington Ave and the back of the houses on one side of Corbridge ave ( I think that was the name , its been a long time ago since I was in that aria. Al.
You might be able to spot your house in the aerial pic shown in the post quoted below .... :)
the pic is a forum link and is only visible if logged in
As well as the area in post#39, I roamed or travelled to grandparents across this area but some years later than the 1938 date of this image.
Red dot marks the Hare & Hounds Pub on the Kingstanding Rd.
Green dot marks a gap between the houses in Atlantic Road - why was it not built upon ?
Yellow dot marks the Kingstanding Rd-Hawthorn Rd-Dyas Rd-Warren Farm Rd junction.
Blue dot marks a sand quarry off Dyas Rd ... the 'cliffs' were as high as houses.
Mauve dot marks Kingstanding Rd Drill Hall with Co op dairy next to it and Goodway Rd to the right.
Orange dot marks Cavandale Ave unfinished in this image but finished by the start of WW2.
Most of the dot-marked places on the pic have been mentioned in various posts on the froum.
Click or tap on the pic to enlarge it ... use scroll bars to move across it.
index.php

Last edited:
No the 33 bus ran down Warren farm road.
The Number 28 bus used to run down Dyas road across Birdbrook road then up to the terminus at Aldridge road and Dyas road. if you got off the Bus at the Terminus turned right you would pass Aldridge road school. then on to the old horns Pub

We could see that school from our house but we had to go to Dulwich road snr school I lived in Atlantic road from 1936 to 1970. regards Al.

Last edited:
You might be able to spot your house in the aerial pic shown in the post quoted below .... :)
the pic is a forum link and is only visible if logged in
Thanks for the map. Yes regarding the gap between the houses I believe the builders found it too steep to build on at the time so picked the easy ones, that site was built on in late 60s or early 70s when they used concrete raft instead of footings, they just leveled it out to a gentle slope then cast a slab, then built on that.
looking at your map our house was the first to the left of the gap, Al.

Back