• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

You must have been close to the entry to the 'pimple' at the bottom of Hurlingham Road (we called it the gulley), we used to go in from Sidcup Road at the top end.
I remember the dirt track racing, we had Raymond Nye from Leyton Grove as our best at it.

We were the middle house in the block of 3 in the piccy attached. As you can possibly tell - the original entry to the pimple was where the white car is now parked - (note the footpath/kerb crossover still in place) although when I was there that entry (about 15 foot wide) was closed at both ends. Sometime after I left in 1964 I presume the council sold off the gullyway to the houseowners who extended their house over it. My brother (Richard Wall) said he often cycled in a team there - although when I was around it was cheap motorcycles & not cycles.

Attachments

• Capture1602.jpg
    Capture1602.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 38
Does anyone remember the doctors surgery at approximately 614 Kingstanding Road - Doctors Fletcher, Dougherty and Le Breuilly?

Last edited:
We had a Dr Dougherty or similar (may be spelled differently) at the surgery corner of Dyas Road and Old Oscott Lane. A tall Scotsman.

We had a Dr Dougherty or similar (may be spelled differently) at the surgery corner of Dyas Road and Old Oscott Lane. A tall Scotsman.
You were quite right to question the spelling Eric. It was Doherty not Dougherty. I have just found some information on the Birmingham Forum. Dr Doherty moved into 169 Old Oscott Lane, when Dr Fletcher retired in the fifties, before emigrating to Canada in 1966. The practice had two surgeries, Old Oscott Lane and Kingstanding Road. I house sat for the Dohertys at Old Oscott Lane when they went out, (fielding the telephone calls), but I couldn't remember where it was. No doctors lived at Kingstanding Road - they used the ground floor as a surgery and waiting room. We lived in the rest of the house for one or two years and my mother acted as housekeeper, telephonist, receptionist and general dogsbody.

Last edited:
He was our doctor until he moved to Canada, a very nice man and a damned good doctor, he had cause to deal with my wife a few times, she was a bit accident prone, he stitched her leg when she dropped a glass panel and it sliced into it. He also attended our house when she had a fit whilst pregnant with our second child.
The docs who took over were the McMinns, husband and wife, they were customers of mine when I worked at Brooklyn Garage.

He was our doctor until he moved to Canada, a very nice man and a damned good doctor, he had cause to deal with my wife a few times, she was a bit accident prone, he stitched her leg when she dropped a glass panel and it sliced into it. He also attended our house when she had a fit whilst pregnant with our second child.
The docs who took over were the McMinns, husband and wife, they were customers of mine when I worked at Brooklyn Garage.
He was good Eric; too good! As I said, he was ex RAF and if he gave you an injection he threw it like a dart but without letting go. He was bombarded with free samples from reps and when I went in complaining of a cold he gave me three injections, ( one a day), that the rep had asked him to try out. I stood hand on hip waiting for the first one not realising that he'd already done it; completely painless. Same with the second one. Being an idiot of a teenager and full of bravado I said to him, "Bet you can't get it in the same hole." "Want to bet", he said and flicked it to within an eighth of an inch of the previous one. I remember him trying not to smirk, as I tried not to scream, and saying,"That'll teach you not to open your mouth." That said, they were a really nice family - I wonder where they went in Canada? I'm glad you and your wife had good experiences with him.

hello eric...what years were you at brooklyn garage

lyn

Hello Eric

You didn't by any chance know David Burrows (spelling) or his Brother when you worked at Brooklyn garage, I went to School with David.

Hello Eric

You didn't by any chance know David Burrows (spelling) or his Brother when you worked at Brooklyn garage, I went to School with David.

Not a name I remember, there were brothers David and Bernard (the foreman) but their surname wasn't Burrows and you've now got me scratching my head to remember what it was. :(

hi eric my ex hubby was a self employed mechanic and always used brooklyn garage to get the MOT certs..

lyn

If that was when I was there it might have been me doing the tests, I was a tester right from the start of the MOT.
I've remembered the brothers' name it was Lee, Bernard and David Lee.

i eric well if he was going there in 65 you would most likely have met him..he was certainly using that garage when we married in 72 and up until 78 because i would go with him sometimes...actually eric i feel we are like ships that pass in the night:D because didnt you work at watsons garage in villa st.i lived in villa st but not sure if it was the same time as you were there..58 to 72 for me..small world

lyn

Last edited:
I worked at Watsons from 1950 until 1960 when I moved to Brooklyn but from 53 to 55 I was doing my national service as a REME mechanic, mostly in Egypt.

well in that case eric we were both in the street at the same time..actually i have a question to ask you but i will put it on the villa st thread like i dont go off topic:D

I need a little help, the problem being I don't know if I need help from someone who lives or lived local to Perry Common Road or a photographer. I have a photo of numbers 1-3-5-7 Perry Common Road on the corner of Turfpits Lane (or so I think). The problem being it does not match what is there today. You will have to compare the two attached images to see what I mean, what I need to know is can an image be flipped and not affect any signwriting on the image? The other question must be is it another location with similar buildings? Any ideas?

1-3-5-7 Perry Common Road.jpg

looks the same to me phil....ive got a photo somewhere that was flipped without affecting the writing took me a while to get my bearings..very confusing unless you know..

lyn

I don't think you can flip photos like that, it does make the signwriting the wrong way round.
I think what you have there is round the corner i.e. two sides round the corner from each other but because of the way the photos have been taken the white corner building which should be on the left in photo one isn't shown, hidden by the tree.

Back