• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

Ever noticed the striking resemblance between the Kingstanding Odeon and the old billiards hall on nearby Kings Road?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Viv

I know a lot of the Odeon chain of cinemas were designed by Birmingham born architect Harry Weedon, perhaps the snooker hall was as well.

Viv

I know a lot of the Odeon chain of cinemas were designed by Birmingham born architect Harry Weedon, perhaps the snooker hall was as well.

Thanks Phil. Shall see if I can find a connection between Harry Weedon and the billiards hall on Kings Road.

Iloyd - and good Art Deco examples they are too. Seems quite lavish architecturally for the billiards hall to be designed in that way compared to the Odeon. But I suppose both were inportant pastimes and attractions in that period. With the explosion of the population around Kingstanding by the 1930s I think attention to the architecture would have been important, it would have fitted well with the dream of its residents of a new and promising start. Viv.

Last edited:
This nice first pic from Shoothill is tagged as 'Kingstanding Road 1932' but it does not look like Kingstanding Rd to me. Although there are houses like those in the pic on the east side of Kingstanding Rd, the houses on the west side are completely different.
It looks (to me) like the junction of Kings Rd and Finchley Rd.
road1932.jpg
An enlargement from the 1932 image show some shops on a corner and the roof lines and window styles in the old pic seem to match the same features in the modern pic.
shop1932.JPG shopnow.JPG

The problem is that there are similar shops on three corners of the Kings Rd - Finchley Rd junction so it is difficult to decide in which direction the road is going in the pic. There are other puzzles such as some houses in the old pic do not seem to be there today. I've had a good look at Kingstanding Rd on streetview and can find no shops matching those in the old pic.

Any thoughts about this ?

Can't work this one out either Phil. It's definitely not Kingstanding Rd. Having lived just off Kingstanding Rd it's none of the clusters of shops I remember. It could be yet another main road in the area other than Finchley/Kings Rd junction but couldn't say which. Viv.

This nice first pic from Shoothill is tagged as 'Kingstanding Road 1932' but it does not look like Kingstanding Rd to me. Although there are houses like those in the pic on the east side of Kingstanding Rd, the houses on the west side are completely different.
View attachment 104987
An enlargement from the 1932 image show some shops on a corner and the roof lines and window styles in the old pic seem to match the same features in the modern pic.
View attachment 104988 View attachment 104990

The problem is that there are similar shops on three corners of the Kings Rd - Finchley Rd junction so it is difficult to decide in which direction the road is going in the pic. There are other puzzles such as some houses in the old pic do not seem to be there today. I've had a good look at Kingstanding Rd on streetview and can find no shops matching those in the old pic.

The second photo looks as though it is facing Kingstanding circle further down the road. Going to Castle Brom tomorrow and will take a look when passing. I think there is a Chinese Take away on the left out of view!.

It looks to me like the junction of Bendall Road and Tottenham Crescent with the junction of Finchley Road in the distance. The photographer would have been standing adjacent to Hatcham Road

The second photo looks as though it is facing Kingstanding circle further down the road. Going to Castle Brom tomorrow and will take a look when passing. I think there is a Chinese Take away on the left out of view!.
Hi Jean, Yes I think it is a view on Kings Road looking down the slight hill towards Kingstanding Circle but the photographer was standing further back as Morturn confirms in his post.
It looks to me like the junction of Bendall Road and Tottenham Crescent with the junction of Finchley Road in the distance. The photographer would have been standing adjacent to Hatcham Road
Hi Morturn, thanks for that. I notice when I position there on 'streetview' the shops are far in the distance with a few trees in the way. I suppose it isn't important but it is a good excuse to look at nice old pics ...:)

On the enlarged section of the photo is a road sign, to the left of the person walking in front of the shops. The sign can't be read but it looks like a very short road name, so Kings Road would fit. Viv.

On the enlarged section of the photo is a road sign, to the left of the person walking in front of the shops. The sign can't be read but it looks like a very short road name, so Kings Road would fit. Viv.
Hi Viv ... In the aerial view below the photographer would have been standing opposite the blue car (bottom left) and the shop can be seen on the junction top right in the view. Looking at aerial views of the area they seem to have planned it with quite a few large circles and open spaces.
Kings Rd_iOS1.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 104987
View attachment 104988 View attachment 104990

This is Kings Rd and Finchley Rd junction the 33 bus used to terminate here and on the corner which the picture was taken was a BCT bundy clock used by the bus drivers before going in to city.

In the late 40s and early 50's I used to serve milk with my dad round that area of Kingstanding for Midland Counties Dairy.

The shop next door but one to the Fish Bar in the picture used to be a Café which used to be our calling place for morning coffee break in the window used to be one of these tipping birds which used to swing and dip into a glass of water.

Outside the Café used to be a Telephone box one Saturday morning there had been a gang fight which started in the famous Kings Charles Pub on the corner on the other side of Kings Rd the box was covered in blood somebody had been stabbed I think he may have died.

Because the problems at the King Charles Pub over the years it was close and pulled down.

On the corner where the photo was taken used to be a Hardware Shop, and just up the Kings Rd towards the Bush used to be an enter to the Park another area for gang fights in the 40/50 .

Nice pictures brings back a lot of memories of my childhood .

Ray

Some nice memories Ray.

Hi Phil the aeriel view suggests a patches of road alteration to me, maybe to widen the road at this junction. Viv.

Great photos Bob. I realise you're practicing, but would love to know the story behind the photographs, especially Gladys and George in Kingstanding. (Was born in Kingstandng, lived there 20 years). Viv.

Thanks Lyn, Vivienne, been looking on here for a few weeks and feel like I already know some of you, great site, my other granddad John Jordan lived in Binstead road had family all round the circle at one time. I am going to see my uncle Arnold ( Sheldon ) this weekend he still lives there and I have not seen him for a long time all because of your site. so a great big thanks to all of you. just need to learn how to do this properly now.

Welshmans Hill and the "Pimple" are not the same place, Welshmans Hill is halfway between the Bush and Banners Gate on the Chester Rd and yes, you will find it on old and modern maps. The Pimple was allotments bordered by Finchly, Sidcup, Ellerton and Danesbury Cres, the place doesn't feature on any old maps i have seen and as others have said i think the name was a local name for the place.

bren

I was looking through the forum comments regarding the 'Old' & 'New' Colleges and found a map being shown that indicates the hill North East of the Lodge Pool having the name of 'Branston' or 'Brunston' Hill. Perhaps someone having a better print of the map might be able to clarify. We lived at 11 Hurlingham Rd (the back garden was 'The Pimple' to me). The dirt racetrack on the flatter lower section (now housing) - ah the memories..

Attachments

• Branston Hill.jpg
    Branston Hill.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 18
I was looking through the forum comments regarding the 'Old' & 'New' Colleges and found a map being shown that indicates the hill North East of the Lodge Pool having the name of 'Branston' or 'Brunston' Hill. Perhaps someone having a better print of the map might be able to clarify. We lived at 11 Hurlingham Rd (the back garden was 'The Pimple' to me). The dirt racetrack on the flatter lower section (now housing) - ah the memories..

You must have been close to the entry to the 'pimple' at the bottom of Hurlingham Road (we called it the gulley), we used to go in from Sidcup Road at the top end.
I remember the dirt track racing, we had Raymond Nye from Leyton Grove as our best at it.

Back