• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

Hello Skelly - I used to take my two younger brothers to a childs nursery in Good Way Road - just off Hawthorn road before I went to Dulwich Rd. Sec, School. Miriam.

For years I've tired to remember exactly were there was a nursery (the plantsman type) along Kingstanding Road. Now I've just spotted this on Google maps and think it might be the place. This spot is just along from Old Oscott Hill, heading towards the Circle. Does anyone know if this was once a nursery? We used to buy plants, shrubs etc from there, maybe even our Christmas tree. I did wonder if it was part of a farm, but we definitely used to go in through a gate off K'standing Rd. I'm talking about it being there in the mid/late 1950s. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366032541.715237.jpg

I think the nursery was the white hut building in this photo of the Goodway Rd / Kingstanding Rd junction. Originally second photo posted in #271.
Maybe the lady standing at the bus stop has just picked up her child from there ....

Kingstanding_Rd.jpg

HELLO MOHARK. i REMEMBER THE VIEW ON THE PICTURE VERY WELL - SO MANY COLD MORNINGS T TAKE MY BROTHERS TO THE NURSARY BEFORE GOING TO SCHOOL. mIRIAM.

I can see our sons house at the top of the hill on the photo Phil. They have an extra room built on top now though. Hi Miriam. xx

Hi Miriam.
I used to be taken past the nursery on the way to my Nans. We lived on the Beeches Estate and used to walk up Goodway Rd. I think the old Drill Hall is also in the photo and there was a Co Op milk depot, I remember all the horses lined up from the milk carts.
Phil

Yes Bingo ! thats it thank you so much the white building is definalty the building in my mums photographs all i need to do know is if possible find anyone who used to work there . Thank you so much cant Waite to tell her .

Hi Jean,
I seem to remember a deep sand pit behind the houses on Dyas Hill. Not much traffic in the photo - seems a peaceful view even though it was taken in WW2 !
Phil

Some features I often notice in old pics are the old GPO Telegraph Poles - in the photo in #1091 each pole has 14 bars and each bar had maybe 4 wires so a barrier of 56 wires birds had watch out for.
In the road I lived in my kite got snagged on telephone wires, it was up there for months.

Thanks all for your interesting posts. Think I've probably mislead you - I'm looking for the gardening variety of nursery not the little cherubs variety!! But all the same, you've added some nice memories to the thread. Viv.

Hello Phil. Yes. I remember the Co Op milk depot.. and if I am right, later on the building became something to do with income tax ..... very vague, but a friend of those years ago used to work there. Miriam.

Hello Miriam,
I can't remember what the building became. I've just had a look around the on Google Streetview and can see a very large nursery on the corner, and what I knew as the Drill Hall may still have something to do with the Territorial Army because I can see a Union Flag in front of the building but can't read any notice boards.
Phil

Hello Phil. Remember the drill hall - When I was a 'Gel' many moons ago - I remember going to a dance there. I knew a certain person would be going so I dressed my self 'up to the nines' - He never batted an eyelid! didn't fancy me, I expect
but I still remember himto day.!!!!!!!! Miriam.

I'm looking for the gardening variety of nursery not the little cherubs variety!!
My brother-in-law vaguely remembers a nursery with shrubs (not little cherubs) near the old Midlands Counties Dairy situated on the site of present day Heather Croft road, and the nursery probably sold heathers maybe suggesting the road name. The Google Earth 1945 view shows the building with a small field behind, the 2005 view shows the building being demolished, and the 2007 view shows the present block of flats.

Attachments

• 1945view.JPG
    1945view.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Back