• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

This is the self-service sales floor of Woolworth's at 232-234 Hawthorn Road, Kingstanding which opened on 28 October 1955. Bulging with stock but still spacious.Viv

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356902051.286427.jpg

viv thats a cracking pic...as you know they closed down a couple of years back and is now a heron store...happy new year viv

lyn

Thanks Viv just like the Aston Cross one I used to have a Saturday job at. Thanks for the photo. Jean.

Last edited:
viv thats a cracking pic...as you know they closed down a couple of years back and is now a heron store...happy new year viv

lyn

Hi Lyn. Happy new year to you too - and to all you Kingstandonians! Remember shopping in that Woolworth's many, many times. In the early 60s my mum bought my junior school skirts from there. Must have been the Ladybird range I think. They were good quality. The clothing section was on the left-hand side wall. Also had a pale blue mohair cardi from there which I thought made me look especially cool. We sometimes got my white socks from Woolies, the knee length ones which never stayed up so you then had to have elastic gaters to keep them up. How they cut into your calves! (Think this might be why we switched to the Littlewoods socks from their shop further along). I remember Woolies sold Robertson's jam (and a few other groceries). I especially remember the jam as they had the paper gollys tucked down the back label. I collected them to exchange for the enamel badges. Christmas was the best time in there, so full of toys. They sold very poor quality cheap Christmas paper too - well after all it only ended up on the fire! I was totally mesmerised by the giant sized Easter eggs they sold too. Never got one of those. Actually thinking about it Woolies was a place you could buy virtually anything, they were such big stores. Viv.

smashing memories viv..woolies were selling ladybird clothing right up until they closed down the other year...oh and as for my knee lengh socks staying up i had such skinny legs even with good elastic i had no chance lol..

lyn

Dave we have driven that route twice this week. Thanks for the third journey. Next time call in at Farmer Johns for a meal. Can't beat it. Jean.

i knew the proctors bumped into susi proctor the other day we lived on plumstead road and there back garden backed on to oursx

Happy days, used to visit Sudbury grove in the middle sixties for a couple of years and nice to see familiar roads.

It's just like driving to my brothers house...ha ha thanks Dave...

Hi Wallyb71, My friend from the early fifties lived just inside Esher Rd, No 3 I think, Victor Kirby was his name, I spent a lot of time around that area in those days. Another friend from the sixties lived not far from there in Cooksey lane was Graham Sidney. Great Families both of them.

Just enjoyed your video Dave M, we've not been around Kingstanding for quite a while, although our dentist is still on Collingwood Drive.
From Kingstanding Circle to the Trees on the Queslett rd, you took the shortcut along Kings Road, The old 29A bus route took you up Kettlehouse Road, were I used to Live, and on over Bandywood. A great drive to watch though, and we must make an effort to go and see Barr Beacon again, not been there for years and its only about ten minutes from here. Thanks Dave M

Just enjoyed your video Dave M, we've not been around Kingstanding for quite a while, although our dentist is still on Collingwood Drive.
From Kingstanding Circle to the Trees on the Queslett rd, you took the shortcut along Kings Road, The old 29A bus route took you up Kettlehouse Road, were I used to Live, and on over Bandywood. A great drive to watch though, and we must make an effort to go and see Barr Beacon again, not been there for years and its only about ten minutes from here. Thanks Dave M

Used the 29A lots of times, pity about the speed humps, good to see my old school still being used.

Dave M, The school you mentioned, was that the one on Collingwood drive ? If so I think it is a Medical centre now, When we lived up on Frampton Way our doctors surgery was in that building. Speed Bumps, they are everywhere now, I was surprised to see them along there, being a bus route, or is it now ?

Back