• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding

morning viv...wow thats very interesting info on beech tree cottages..i will spend more time looking this over later on tonight...

ps if i get lost or arrested send out the troups lol...

lyn

there may have been one there topsy but there was a whole line of them on the kingstanding road..

Hi moss q
my old friend for many years and grew up with lived yards from the volcano cafe on the corner of hingegeston street
as you would recall; one of your old haunts from your youth days along with an old friend of yours and mine
of course was midnight ;from shakespear rd and heath street ; i say no more on him ;
but getting back to walter smiths my mate terry became the manager at walter smiths shop on spring hill
by stoddards if you remember them ; by the spring hioll libary ;
he later took over of the one in the old bull ring indoor market for them
must catch up with one of these days for a drink ;in weston ; best wishes astonian

hi lynn ;
how are you keeping fine i hope you are doing a great job on this site and it must be costing you alot of late night hours ; fantasic
keep it up ; yes i was aware of the shop stil going strong i have a no; 1 cousin living in hurlingam rd ; whom i see from time to time at her house
i also have aanother relie whom lived down that rd by the crossing that takes you down to he sutton park exit ; its called the greenway ; right on the corner facing the park gates by the traffic lights in the big house he been there for years he holds high office out on that neck of the woods
i cannot name him nor his postio for secrutity reasons ; have a nice day alan ; astonian;

Wasn,t Beech Tree cottage on Aldridge Road?

Hi Topsy that's funny you should say that, I have a very, very vague memory (or maybe I dreamt it) of seeing some Beech Tree Cottages somewhere else in the area. Think I saw it on a map somewhere, but can't be sure. I wondered if there might have been, say, a cluster on Kingstanding Road and another, as you say on Aldridge Road. Maybe for farmhands on the different parts of the Perry Barr Estate. All speculation though and probably complete twaddle on my part as the auction places them on Holly Lane (Kingstanding Road)! All the same Lyn's map doesn't seem to me to show 14 cottages, but maybe some had been demolished by the date of that map. Viv.

well done viv..your powers of deduction were spot on..i stopped an eldery couple walking nearby and asked them if they knew the history of the area and luckily they did...church goers themselves they were able to confirm that the fenced off ground that i saw was indeed the burial ground of the nuns from the convent or as they said anyone who had anything to do with the convent..its just to the right of maryvale house/institute and up until as late as the early 80s it was taking in orphan children...the lady i was talking to advised me to go round to the little sisters of assumption convent and they will be only to happy to let me have more info and she gave me the names of two of the nuns who i should ask for..i will do this another time as they may also have some old pics in their archives... i am just sorting out some pics to post...

As it says, Maryvale certainly is 'steeped in history'.

I've now found a photo on the Digital Handsworth site which shows some of Beech Tree Cottages, but I don't think all of them, possibly numbers 2 - 8 (well, based on the the old numbering system). This is looking up towards the Hare & Hounds pub. It's a quaint view of 'Kingstanding Village' in 1928. And look, an empty road! Viv.

560791fc-8514-a006.jpg

great find there viv....i often wondered what the demolished ones looked like as i would think the ones as far as the 2nd lampost were the ones no longer there..

thanks viv...

hi gibbo
my cousin lived in park street by the vine in fact ten doors away from it and my great grand parents lived behind them in sandy lane
and he had the coffee shop just along the rd from the vine pub ; and victoria rd and park street ;
she her self now lives in hurlinghm rd ; strange aint it ;
but they did say alot of people moved from aston to king standing ;in those days and of the king standing mob
of teddy boyswhom came and slashed the seats at the aston cross picture house when billy hayley movie ws played and the sunday mercury reported the next day and how they rocked up and down those isles the manager must have been frighend to see all that happening in his house
great days aye ; best wishes astonian

Stunning photo of the mound on Kingstanding Jean. This is another area with an interesting and long history. I've been trying to work out where 'Roman Field' is in relation to the mound but can't be sure. The Roman Field is marked just at the botton of the section of Icknield Street and above Oscott Cottage shown on this 1834 map. Be great if someone can advise how it relates to today's map. Viv.
560791fc-cd18-e876.jpg

Our friend Paul Hillcox posted them to me on face book Viv and he is an expert on the history of Kingstanding and has a website that would be of interest to you. I will go and find the link. Jean.

Viv if I am looking at the right wording then it`s just south of the Kingstanding circle

xxx.jpeg
There really is too many posts and threads to trawl through to make sure I am not repeating a picture so here goes.
Perry Common Road in 1923.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a very good photo Stitcher. I've not seen it before. I think photos like these give a good hint of how developments like roadways could bring such major change to a relatively quiet rural area. Viv.

Hello Viv, I have driven large lorries up and down there many times and it is hard to imagine it like the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the photo Trevor. Have been looking at the map with the Burial ground on and think we maybe close or on where it was. Will go see if I can find that other thread I was going to answer. It wouldn't come up when I typed in search.

I used to live in Streatham Grove off Harringay Rd in Kingstanding.
there was lots of shops in the circle i left there when i was six years old
and moved to Ward St Aston.

Back