• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

xxx.jpeg
There really is too many posts and threads to trawl through to make sure I am not repeating a picture so here goes.
Perry Common Road in 1923.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a very good photo Stitcher. I've not seen it before. I think photos like these give a good hint of how developments like roadways could bring such major change to a relatively quiet rural area. Viv.

Hello Viv, I have driven large lorries up and down there many times and it is hard to imagine it like the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the photo Trevor. Have been looking at the map with the Burial ground on and think we maybe close or on where it was. Will go see if I can find that other thread I was going to answer. It wouldn't come up when I typed in search.

I used to live in Streatham Grove off Harringay Rd in Kingstanding.
there was lots of shops in the circle i left there when i was six years old
and moved to Ward St Aston.

View attachment 74771
There really is too many posts and threads to trawl through to make sure I am not repeating a picture so here goes.
Perry Common Road in 1923.

Memories of Birmingham - Alton Douglas

Perry Common Rec to the left and Bleak Hill Rec to the right. Think that was some sort of pumping station on the right. Keep going on that road for a bit and the Golden Cross pub used to be on the left on the corner of Turfpits Lane. Bit further and you come to the junction of Streetly and Short Heath Rd (65 bus terminus). Lived on that corner for20 years.

Me and my mum waiting on Kingstanding Circle for the Midland Red to Sutton. It would have been round 1959/60. It was taken on a Sunday and we're dressed up to the nines. But boy, do we look miserable - I suspect I might have been throwing a wobbly about having to wear that hat ! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335385865.198988.jpg

Les Dawson did the grand opening of Taylor's on Hawthorn Road when it had had a big refurb. This would have been around the early 70s. Your ad Stitcher could well have been around that time. Viv.

JennyAnn, you have a better memory than me. I don't remember all those shops in Hawthorn Road, but I do remember going into Peacocks just over 62 years ago, on 7 May, after we were let out early from school, and buying two Union Jack flags. Next day they were flying to celebrate VE Day.
I certainly remember the long path or track fromCollege Road through the allotments to Gipsy Lane - that was our route to Witton Lakes. The name Wyrley Birch is familiar - we used to call it Wairly Bairch in Black Country style, but I'm not sure if it was the name of those allotments.
The cafe I hardly remember at all. I never used it, as from about 1950 most of my social life was in Handsworth or elsewhere. Anyway, here is a list taken friom the Kelly's 1950 directory.Thanks for the memories!
Peter

Dear Peter, I was very interested to hear that you recall VE day. I acollecting oral histories from this area and wonder what you remember of the day. Many Thanks Chris Hillcox [email protected] www.kingstanding.wordpress.com

Welcome Chris we will have to get Paul on the forum too. As Sylvia said Peter Walker passed away a while back but take at look at his archives. Sylvia take a look into Chris's site it is brilliant. Jean.

Back