• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding

Ian thanks it was Taylors. I think the name of the organs they sold were Hammond. #713 I am sure this shop became a second hand shop and one of the owners were from the Band Quill. Jean.

Remember the library from the 1940s and can still recall the distinct aroma from the books (all the books were bound at that time) and the polished oak floor.There was an area of charred floor that had been caused by an incendiary bomb going through the roof.At that time kids could borrow one fiction and one non-fiction book for a period of two weeks and late returns were charged 2d.a week.Spent many winter evenings lost in books borrowed from the library and still have fond memories of many of them.
There was the Octogan library at the top of Hawthorn Road for a while.It cost 2d a week (I think it was) to borrow books from there

Moss. Your pic of Allen's TV/Radio shop is definitely on the corner of Warren Road and Hawthorn Rd. I remember it well. (It's on the opposite side of the Co-op. My mum bought my first pair of ice-skating boots from that Co-op.They used to have a shoe department there). My mum also used to run Wright's Bread shop next to Taylors HiFi shop. She remembers when Les Dawson did the opening ceremony for Taylors shop (I think it was when they refurbished it in the 1960s/70s). If you look on street view Google maps at the corner of Warren and Hawthorn Road you can match the steep slope very clearly with Moss's pic. I remember that steep slope - nightmare in winter! Viv.

Just been reading all the replies about Cranbourne Road School (later re-named Kingsthorne School). I started at Kingsthorne Infants in 1958 (Miss Mole was Head - she used to reward you with a small bag of Dolly Mixtures if you made good prgress!). I aslo went on to Kingsthorne Junior, my last teacher there was Mr Martin. He was a good teacher, got me through 11plus, but was a bit scary - or so I thought at the time. I remember the infant and junior schools being built around a big square - there was a grassed area in the middle. Had a little white weather box in the middle where we went to read the temperature etc. I remember one teacher, a Mr Griffiths, who was always ready to use the ruler for discipline. A quick whack on the knuckles for not remembering your times tables was a regular event. The picture posted earlier of the Cranbourne Road skittles team is of the Mr Martin I remember. And we always sat at desks with inkwells and folding benches. So I think the school probably improved by the time I went there. A daughter of one of my mum's friends married the caretaker's son so we went to the wedding reception at the school. Have some happy memories of my time there. Viv.

Hi Viv my brother in law lived in Warren road till last year two doors down from the church. You are right it is a steep hill. Was the social club up a gulley on the left of Warren road when you lived in the area?. Jean.

Hi Jean. Afriad I don't remember the social club. I lived in Kingstanding from '53 until 70's. It's quite funny because it's often not until you see pics of these places that it jogs your memory. Lots of the names seem familiar but I can't always recall where the places were!! And I haven't been back there for a very long time. However I do remember quite a lot about Hawthorn Road itself as a shopping area. Seeing George Mason's shop in one of the earlier pictures brought back some memories of shopping there. These grocery shops were typical I suppose before the supermarkets moved in. My mum worked at Bywaters meat shop too which was on Kingstanding Road (the row of shops which curl round to Dyas Road - Lathams was the big drapers on that corner, I think). Further along that row of shops on Kingstanding Road there used to be a hardware shop (possibly named Jones??) - sold everything. Loved it in there. I suppose these shops were the lesser known or remembered shops as the main shopping area was then on Hawthorn Road. Viv

hi all....as you all know the old odeon cinema is mecca bingo now and one day next week the manager has said he will give me a guided tour of the building and i can take pics....its retained many of the art decco features (thank goodness) including the lighting hand rails..pillars and stairs....all the orginal cinema seats are still in place up in the gods and there is also the old projection room and a flat that i will be shown round....cant wait for this.....

lyn

Last edited:
Hello, I hope you do take lots of photos of the old lady in Kingstanding, if you can take lots in the projection room as I
love to see the operation suits as we projectionists called them, and pleased post them here.

hi andrew i will be posting the pics under the cinemas.theatres and rinks thread....hope to get some good ones.....

lyn

Look forward to seeing the pics Lyn. Went to Saturday morning shows there quite a few times in the 50's but can't for the life of me remember any of the films I saw. Probably too busy messing around! Enjoy your visit. Viv.

My neighbours daughter works at the Bingo Hall and it has just been re furbished. I will ask her if she has some old photo's of when it was a cinema. Jean.

Hello mossg I remember the Allens shop the house to the right down the hill was doctor Massey;s house i used to go to him in the 1940;s and 50;s

I have only lived in Kingstanding for 6 years I know that many years ago that it had a bad reputation I live in a quiet avenue off Danesbury Crescent and can honestly say that in those 6 years i have led a very peacful existance things are changing for the better

Re: kingstanding Greenholme road

Hi Mauricesellars if i remember rightly the Sand pits was at the bottom of Rough Road not far fron Sutton Park
when we was kids we used to dig in the sand pits all sorts of items what the Americans took off the German prisoners
when they were held in the camp in the park.

Hello Richard Shephard. I and my two younger brothers went to Christ the King Sc hool until we were 11 years. I then went to Dulwich Road Sec. Mod. and my brothers went to Erdington Abbey. Our surname was Hemus. Mr. Howard was the Hwad Master whilst I was there. Miriam.

I lived in Kingstanding from 1953 until 1976, and have really enjoyed reading this thread, it has bought back sooo many memories, every time I read a shop name I go...oooh yes, I remember that one. I used to have a saturday job in Littlewoods and we bought our wedding rings from Tranters the Jewellers. Does anyone remember the "posh" dress shop( can't remember the name) on the Kingstanding Road, on the run of shops where Lathams and Kirtons was, I think there was then a betting shop a few doors away?

Andrew glad you liked the picture, unfortunately, on the 3 buses shown a number cant be seen. This is where you got off the bus and started your long walk to Sutton Park (I think).

Hello again, way back when I was a lot younger I walked all the way to Hednesford from the circle after missing the last bus, think it took me about 2 to 3 hours, dark and raining too but I got home in one piece, I only ever did that once and I started the walk from just by some shops on the road that goes to Sutton Park, is it Banners Gate.

Hi, Great picture of the circle, Carolina, The buses you can see would be either the 29 or the 29a, the latter went on from there to turn up Kettlehouse road and head for the Pheasey, I think it may have turned around in those days at the Trees Public house. The 29 would empty there, outside the Kingstanding public house, and go around the island to stop outside the post office, ready for its journey back into Birmingham. Just to sit and gaze at the picture brings back so many memories, Thank you.

Back