• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding

im glad to see someone remembers the walk down to witton lakes from colledge road, i have many happy memories of taking those walks, but could someone tell me, looking at all the above letters, am i missing something? why all the blanks to what only appear to be references to roads, or roads themselves. im at a loss, also, do,s anyone have any recollection of the spitfire based somewhere beind the colledge arms?? on the hawthorn road?. tom.

reading jkcs comments leaves me a bit sympathetic but i cant understand anyone prefering aston to kingstanding,-even more so then than now-, my mom and dad lived in summer lane, moved out to kingstanding before the war, my mom alma made her way dealing in on the black market, when my dad, jack lewin came out of the army he started back on the barrow, pitching up outside lathams on hawthorne road as well as the bull ring, sadly they were given notice for running a bussiness from a council house and leaving his fruit in the garden, apparently the nieghbours wernt too happy, today i wouldnt live in that particular road for all the tea, my mom was gutted at the time but what i find more amusing is the fact that ive got a few friends here in four oaks that put a lorry on there drive with no objection, one guy in a 300k house down by the parade moves exctreta for a living, its a different attitude, standards do need to be maintained , even more so today i would have thought, shame.

Hi tommy0121,
I lived in Hawthorne Rd until I was about 7 or 8 years of age and then the family moved to Sutton Coldfield. I well remember the walks to Witton Lakes through the allotments and the wonderful smells as you past each plot.
The aircraft you mentioned was behind the Crossways Pub and was housed inside the ATC Squadron, I think it was 487 Squadron , opposite Hawthorn Rd junior school. This was a Hurricane and in very good condition, on my way home from school I could never resist the temptation to look through the broken fence and gaze at this wonderful machine.My Brother was a member of this unit and I could always earn a little extra sweet money by polishing various instruments ready for Sunday morning parade.

Old Mohawk Remember before the days of motorized road sweepers how the corporation road sweepers used to go round with there 2 wheeled 2 tub barrows, the sweepers had a big bass broom and a shovel and they went up and down the roads sweeping the gutters. When the barrow was full they would tip the sweepings on the footpath to be picked up later onto a lorry. The storm water drains were also cleaned by hand with long handled shovels in the days before gully suckers. Then there was the gas lamp cleaner who came round every so often with his ladder and cleaned the glass and changed the mantles on the gas lamps. There used to be a lot of lamps getting smashed by Vandals then they were fitted with bullet proof glass and they were still smashed Moss in Aus

hi Margaret i was born in great brook street in Asted Row we move from there when i was about 5 to castle bromwich i now live in Australia anyone remember the motorcycle shop in great brook street in was called Joiners motorcycles
has anyone looked into the real change in peoples lives when kingstanding was developed. All my family came from aston and were rehoused in kingstanding just before ww2 did other families live in their back to backs ie gt brook st or were they demolished. i know my gran loved having the so called amenities like bathrooms and running water m:)

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Margaret i was born in great brook street in Asted Row we move from there when i was about 5 to castle bromwich i now live in Australia anyone remember the motorcycle shop in great brook street in was called Joiners motorcycles

Hello Peter Welcome to the forum i lived 100 meters from Gt Brook St at the bottom i Remember the houses at the bottom were quite posh compared to our end can,t remember the motor bike shop it must have been up the top by the co-op if you type Gosta Green into the search box (top r/hand corner ) and retype your post you should get replies to your question. Dek

hi Dek thanks for the welcome you are right it was by the co-op right opposite and there was a cafe standfords cafe next to the entrace to Ashted Row
Hello Peter Welcome to the forum i lived 100 meters from Gt Brook St at the bottom i Remember the houses at the bottom were quite posh compared to our end can,t remember the motor bike shop it must have been up the top by the co-op if you type Gosta Green into the search box (top r/hand corner ) and retype your post you should get replies to your question. Dek

Hi tommy0121,
I lived in Hawthorne Rd until I was about 7 or 8 years of age and then the family moved to Sutton Coldfield. I well remember the walks to Witton Lakes through the allotments and the wonderful smells as you past each plot.
The aircraft you mentioned was behind the Crossways Pub and was housed inside the ATC Squadron, I think it was 487 Squadron , opposite Hawthorn Rd junior school. This was a Hurricane and in very good condition, on my way home from school I could never resist the temptation to look through the broken fence and gaze at this wonderful machine.My Brother was a member of this unit and I could always earn a little extra sweet money by polishing various instruments ready for Sunday morning parade.

I actually joined the ATC here at Hawthorne Rd when I was around 13, my friend up the road was in it, did drill in a hut, compass training. I recall we had the use of the school playing grounds opposite, I saw the plane and actually sat in the cockpit. Anyway I joined for the uniform which was a long time coming, and being in civvies so to speak, wrangler jeans and ordinary jumper etc, made me feel out of place while the rest looked really smart in proper uniforms.....eventually I gave up going tired of asking each week, when my uniform was arriving........AWOL!!!!!!!! Still waiting for the Military Police to knock on my door to throw me in jail or perhaps to tell me my uniform has finally arrived?

Actually that hut had a section of the plane with the cockpit in.
The hurricane was situated at the back of where the Citizens Advice office is today, the corner of Dyas Rd and Kingstanding Road, the top of the hill bit coming from town. I guess directly diagonally opposite from where Foster Brothers used to be.

I posted some photo's on this thread earlier Kevkonk which show the roofs of the shops on the corner of Dyas Kingstanding road and a photo taken from our car of them. Will go back an see which post they are on. Jean.

Kevkonk have gone through all the posts and can't find them and I have not kept them on the computer. I will go take a look elsewhere for them. Sorry. Jean.

A few photo's taken from the sons bedroom window in Dyas road and one of Atlantic road in the snow. Jean.

Hello Andrew they are not actually blacked out but as the site has a dark colour they look black. These are the words you put in the search engine they should actually be highlighted but come out a bit dark.

Andrew, if you change your colour scheme to 'Bham clean' (button bottom left corner) things will look nicer.

I had the same trouble my name was blacked out it wasn't the colour of the background just the name

Hello Dave Great pics i remember the places well i lived in Hurlingham road from 1933 till 1960 i played snoker with my mate in the hall long time ago went to the Odeon lots of times and remember the airraid shelters we used to walk up that road to Sutton park and also up rough road to banners gate great memories ty Allen Gibson

Does anyone remeber the accident which caused the death of Joe Tayman, (spelling might be wrong). He was a long service driver at Perry Barr garage and was killed when changing drivers at Tysoe Road, Kingstanding Road when he was run down by a milk lorry. This was about 1952 and his family were our next door neighbours in Boswell Road. His daughter, Brenda, was about eight years old at the time and she used to take me to Sunday School at Cranbourne Road

There is a death recorded of a Joseph TAMAN age 37 4th quarter 1952, Birmingham. (9c 128)

i too was raised in kingstanding . Lived up until 21 always go back to see my mom. I went warren farm boys school 1960s

My dad used to work at the greengrocers shop on Kings Road just where the 33 bus terminus was, this back in the 50's, it was called Roses and a few other names too, his name was Stan, he was the manager for a while, anyone remember him, he passed away in 2002.

Are you sure the terminus was on Kings Rd i remember getting off at Kingstanding Circle and having to walk up Kings Rd towards the Trees Pub to work that was late 50s i thought the 33 went up Kettlehouse Rd and the terminus was at the Bandywood Circle.i may be wrong time fades the memory. Was the shop anything to do with the Roses Fruit Shop that was on the Sutton Parade at that time?

Hello Dek, It was the 29a which went up Kettlehouse Road,its terminus was at the junction of Hillingford Avenue and Collingwood Drive on the Pheasey Estate. The 29 only reaching Kingstanding Circle. The 33 terminus was, as Andrew says, along Kings Road, as short walk from the Kingstanding Circle. There was also a 'Roses' greengrocers on the Kinstanding Circle, on Kingstanding road opposite the police station.

Goffy

Thanks Goffy it was a long time ago i used to get the bus from Town i was a contractor who traveled all over the place. Dek

Hi Goffy You are correct with the bus route's but Rose's was in Rough Road which is now and has been for a time Lennon's store,the greengrocers opposite the police station was the Co-op I think I am correct with that. Mike

Back