• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding

Hi Moss
Think you might be reffering to what we called the "Gully"It lay behind Hurlingham Rd.Sidcup Rd.Danesbury Cres.and Ellerton Rd.A tarmacked path that ran from Sidcup Rd.to a grove off Ellerton Rd cut it in two.Looking at it from Sidcup Rd.there was some allotments on left hand side the right hand side was just waste ground.It was only an unofficial dump.Was great for sledging when we had snow.
Pembroke

We called it the gulley too Pembroke, I can remember us sledging down there on the curved side piece of an Anderson air raid shelter.

There was a cycle speedway on the top for a time where all the local kids raced.

I can also remember a bit of a war with kids from the Sidcup Road side and from the Ellerton Road side tossing stones at each other over the top, it got out of hand and the cops and firemen turned up to break it up. E.

Hi Eric
The run got that slippy and there was that many of us on the shelter section one time we finished off by going through the back garden fence of one of the houses in Sidcup Rd.
Still chuckle thinking about "The War" as you called it.Each evening for the best part of a week the kids would congregate on their own side of the hill. One side would charge to the top,the other side would then make a charge from their side of the hill and drive the first lot down.This went on till everybody was just about exhausted, rushing up and down the hill,and went home.The following evening would be a repeat performance of the previous one.As you say the police eventually broke it up.Can only remember one kid getting hurt and as soon as he was everybody else stopped to inspect his injury and give him a bit of encouragement by telling him how bad the cut was ,how many stitches he might need,how bad he looked etc.etc. Happy Days

Re: kingstanding pimple,ash hill, Gully

To all If you have stood on this hill over the years you would watched the big bomber raids going overhead, the sky was filled wth planes, also for the Arnhem and D Day landings with gliders attached. The engine noise was deafening. From the top you could see the Sutton Coldfield T V mast being built. Moss

Facinating seeing those pics of hurlingham rd, was there only last night seeing my cousin jimmy littleford, lived there all his life, sister lives in mothers house, now bought, nice little nest in that one section of hurlingham.

Wouldn't it be nice if all us kingstanding "lads& lassies"
could have a get together a chat about old times?

Dennis what a good idea but not in the Kingstanding pub eh. Seriously that sounds a wonderful idea. Jean.

hi all..im searching for any old pics of the hawthorn road shops..particually miles pet shop(next to the co op funeral place) who celebrate their 75th anniversary very soon....

many thanks for any help...

lyn

Another pastime game we used to play up the Gully was to get an old lorry tyre roll yourself up inside it and then roll down the hill , how on earth did we not break our necks but it was fun. Health an safety would not allow such games today .. Mike
Ex Binstead Road

lyn when I used to breed Budgies, Miles used to buy them from me, I seem to remember a Parrot they used to have Dave

Hiya Lyn.
Not the best of pictures,Miles pet shop is second from left as i am sure you know.
Maybe someone can improve the quality of it.
Moss.

Re: kingstanding re get together

Dennis you pay my fare and I will be there and I could bring a few ex kingstandingites with me, we could go on a pub crawl to Sutton Coldfield starting at the Crossway's {M and B} then the College Arms {Ansell's} and thats how it used to go all the way into Sutton M and B Ansell's Now its more like McDonald's and Balti. Then we could finish with curry and chips. Those were the days. Does anybody remember Ruby Stanier who worked at Marriott's the Chemist, she married my brother Stan Sellars Moss South Australia

hi all..im searching for any old pics of the hawthorn road shops..particually miles pet shop(next to the co op funeral place) who celebrate their 75th anniversary very soon....

many thanks for any help...

lyn
lynn the anniversary for miles pet shop is going to be a fun day at the shop on saturday 3rd october

Hi Folks
Hope I don't cause any confusion,and perhaps someone can put me right.I remember the pet shop at the top of Hawthorn Rd.and am pretty sure the son of the owner / manager was at Cranbourne Rd.School with me in 1940s.Just below pet shop was Jones's furniture shop but I can't remember any Co-Op shops or funeral place in that area.There was several Co-Op shops further down Hawthorn Rd.on left hand side.
Is the public library still at bottom of Hawthorn Rd.Can still recall the distinct smell of the place,given off by the thousands of bound books (as they were at the time).Also remember the charred section of the oak strip floor caused by incendiary going through roof.

Been looking for these, old one 1967, newer one Nov 2006, used elsewhere, with the CO-OP Funeral Services next door

hi maur thank for that info....and dave thank you very much for the 67 pic...i would guess its just what is needed...

lyn

hi moss...thank you also for your pic..i am sure it will be most useful....

cheers...

lyn

hi dave...i didnt realise that they had been there for 75 years....i am sure that the pics you and moss posted will add to the celebrations on the 4th of october....

lyn

so will i dave...i will go up to the shop when i get back from clacton and find out whats what....

lyn

Dave my son lives at the top of Dyas and he said his neighbours will be going across to take some photo's, he would but he's off to Weymouth to his father in laws 70th bash. Jean.

Back