• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding

Years ago I think it was David who sent me a message via friends united.
Although I never really knew him.
How strange my late sister was 12 years older than me also.
Wow - is David on this site do you know?
I don't know too much about David so it'd be nice to found out.
Coincidences are more common that you'd think as i've learnt whilst researching my family history.

DaveM
How sad,I remember the finchley park paddling pool well,it was neat,had a well clipped privet hedge around it and a patrolling park keeper.
Close by were the swings,the pancake and the witches hat rides.They would be considered extremely dangerous for children today.
There was also a roundabout and a large rocking horse,we always left the park feeling sick from the rides and the big lads used to pump the pump until we thought it would break off and fly through the air.OMG those were the days.We were poor but didn't know it as everyone was the same.

Attachments

• 692D3415-0EE5-4760-884B-3345B56FF386.jpeg
    692D3415-0EE5-4760-884B-3345B56FF386.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 25
thanks dave..looks about right...its vine searchers wife who is looking for the pics..she has worked at miles pet shop for years...she will be online later on...

lyn
Hi Ditone,

I was born at my Gran's house(1929) 85 High St, Aston, just round he corner from you. do you remember IRIS's the sweet shop in Alma St.?

Iris

Attachments

• 2ECA19E5-69E6-4E36-A507-CB87BF9F3C8A.jpeg
    2ECA19E5-69E6-4E36-A507-CB87BF9F3C8A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Hi...
Just read your post on Finchley Park... It brought back great memories... We lived on Twickenham road and our garden backed on to the park...
Just a small chestnut fence that separated us from the park , so we were frequent visitors , especially in the summer months...
ps.. that witches hat ride was lethal....

I was born in Alma Street Aston but my Nan used to live in Twickenham Road (No.66) and as it was a much nicer place I used to stay at my Nan's through the week and go home at weekends (mom also used to work so it helped me being at Nan's) I went to Twickenham road school for a couple of years but can only remember one teacher a Miss McGillycuddy (dreadful spelling) I used to play with a family called the Floyds and a Janet Jarvis who also lived in our road also a Jean Smith who lived over one of the shops at the bottom of the road. (happy days).
Hi, I lived at 68 Twickenham Road but I think after your time. I think I remember Mrs Floyd as she used to help at the school. Did she have a facial injury? I went to Alma Street school and then Twickenham Road but only from 69 to 71. Did you know any of the Murphy, Twells or Caseys?

Hi, I lived at 68 Twickenham Road but I think after your time. I think I remember Mrs Floyd as she used to help at the school. Did she have a facial injury? I went to Alma Street school and then Twickenham Road but only from 69 to 71. Did you know any of the Murphy, Twells or Caseys?
i used to know the burton family in the very early 70s who lived in twickenham road...the number escapes me now but they had a son named george

lyn

Hi Alwin...
Yes I do remember the Casey's... David was in my class at Twickenham School... Also the family Twells ( Roderick) if you have time , check out my earlier posts on the school football team....

Hi Alwin...
Yes I do remember the Casey's... David was in my class at Twickenham School... Also the family Twells ( Roderick) if you have time , check out my earlier posts on the school football team....
Oh that’s amazing. Tony Casey was a year older than me and I played with his sister Vivien and Christine Twells in the field behind the street. Do you remember the Twells dog Rusty? I did connect with Roderick a while back on friends reunited but that folded. I will have a look. Thanks for that!

Hi Alwin...
i used to know the burton family in the very early 70s who lived in twickenham road...the number escapes me now but they had a son named george

lyn
It doesn’t ring a bell with me. i will have to ask my brother…he’s older but he has forgotten most of what he knew!

Flagstones

Does any-one remember the flagstones across the road opposite the swimming baths they had markings on them as though they were Roman:D...Cat....:)
Catkin,
Only 15 years late replying haha. The pre fab area opposite the baths had crazy paving. In the middle was laid in stone, the Birmingham coat of arms. The artist and the Blacksmith, and the word "Forward" all carved out.
Sadly, it was all torn up when the brook was covered over. Its now called Conker Island.

I did try and find out a few years ago but didn't get anywhere. It was probably just dug up and chucked in the skip. Perhaps in 500 years time, some archaeologist might find it when digging up a landfill.
It would be a nice idea if it was saved even relaid as a garden feature. It always reminded me of my mom, taking me home from the clinic minus my teeth! She would point out the features. Little did I know then that I would find myself staring at the same coat of arms on the side of the buses as a trainee fitter, in Miller street bus garage when I left school.
I've even tried to find out what happened to all the spare transfers of the bus coat of arms. There must have been loads .

Facinating seeing those pics of hurlingham rd, was there only last night seeing my cousin jimmy littleford, lived there all his life, sister lives in mothers house, now bought, nice little nest in that one section of hurlingham.
How interesting my family name is Littleford. I wonder if there is a family connection?

Thanks Maur I remember Rochells my neice used to work there and my son now uses the Indian place once in a blue moon. I used to buy my nets from lathems and that's going back some years. Remember Foster Bros too and they had another branch on Kingstanding circle. Have a photo of John Rochelle at a party we went to. It was my neices 21st will have to sort it out. We went in fancy dress. Jean.
John Rochelle died recently - his funeral is on Maundy Thursday

would anyone know when the original kingstanding pub was demolished..thanks

lyn
The original Kingstanding opened on 6 October 1933 and was closed in 1965. Its successor opened on 26 September 1966. I don't have the actual demolition date. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back