• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
[h=3]About « Voices of Kingstanding
safe.gif
[/h]

Voices of Kingstanding is an oral history project which seeks to record the history of the ... Paul Hillcox for scanning slides. Perry Barr Observer for covering the ...
kingstanding.wordpress.com/about - Cached

Dave M

Pheasey Born Bumper
Viv if I am looking at the right wording then it`s just south of the Kingstanding circle

S

Stitcher

xxx.jpeg
There really is too many posts and threads to trawl through to make sure I am not repeating a picture so here goes.
Perry Common Road in 1923.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a very good photo Stitcher. I've not seen it before. I think photos like these give a good hint of how developments like roadways could bring such major change to a relatively quiet rural area. Viv.

S

Stitcher

Hello Viv, I have driven large lorries up and down there many times and it is hard to imagine it like the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Like the photo Trevor. Have been looking at the map with the Burial ground on and think we maybe close or on where it was. Will go see if I can find that other thread I was going to answer. It wouldn't come up when I typed in search.

Richard Shephard

master brummie
I used to live in Streatham Grove off Harringay Rd in Kingstanding.
there was lots of shops in the circle i left there when i was six years old
and moved to Ward St Aston.

Zambodini

master brummie
View attachment 74771
There really is too many posts and threads to trawl through to make sure I am not repeating a picture so here goes.
Perry Common Road in 1923.

Memories of Birmingham - Alton Douglas

Perry Common Rec to the left and Bleak Hill Rec to the right. Think that was some sort of pumping station on the right. Keep going on that road for a bit and the Golden Cross pub used to be on the left on the corner of Turfpits Lane. Bit further and you come to the junction of Streetly and Short Heath Rd (65 bus terminus). Lived on that corner for20 years.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Me and my mum waiting on Kingstanding Circle for the Midland Red to Sutton. It would have been round 1959/60. It was taken on a Sunday and we're dressed up to the nines. But boy, do we look miserable - I suspect I might have been throwing a wobbly about having to wear that hat ! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335385865.198988.jpg

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Les Dawson did the grand opening of Taylor's on Hawthorn Road when it had had a big refurb. This would have been around the early 70s. Your ad Stitcher could well have been around that time. Viv.