• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding settlement

splinter555

knowlegable brummie
What was it pre 2nd world war, was it anything to do with orphanages or older orphans. My father spoke of it but would never go into detail and he was bought up in orphanages.
Thankyou for any info.

There might have been Quaker influences but there was a regular Sunday School held there in the 1950s which had teachings, hymns and prayers. Think we used the Common Book of Prayer. We had to learn a specific extract from the bible which was given to us on a stamp. The stamp was much larger than a postage stamp with a picture illustrating the extract and the verse was also written on the stamp. We had to learn the extract and recite it at the next session.

Didn’t like these sessions or the person running them. Maybe I just found it all a bit daunting - went to them from about the age of 5. And it probably didn’t help that I was seriously lacking in confidence as a child, but I was never made to feel at ease there.

Much happier memories are of the dancing lessons I attended there. Did tap, ballet and acro. Was fun and we did shows. Think the dancing teacher’s name was Doreen.

Viv.

We used to go to the boys club there, pretty informal at the time, they entered a team in a sports event in Perry Bar park. told me to do the high jump and some of the running, can't think which now but I know I was no good at either and didn't know the rules.
In the running I was flagging before half the lap was run and in the high jump knocked the bar of at first attempt then walked away, didn't know that I could go again. :)

The Kingstanding Settlement footballers in 1938. This must have been a relatively new team. Hope they had success. Viv.

3DC35076-FE0A-4A00-AF63-EC617BDA41EA.jpeg

Back