• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding British Legion.

robert

master brummie
Could anyone tell me if the Kingstanding British Legion is still open or perhaps tradeing under a diffrent name. thanks, Robert.

Robert which road is it in please?. Pete said there is one called The Warriers in Kettlehouse road or there abouts.

I'm not to sure jean. Some one asked me if i knew if the Kingstanding legion had been taken over by a soft drinks firm called Horizon.

Last edited:
There was a very good football team in the 60s under the name of Kingstanding Exservice Mans Club would this be the same place or a different one. Dek

I was a member in the 1970s

I was an apprentice in the early 70’s, my boss; a guy calledDon Liddle was a member.

He was a really interesting character.

Only the club element of the Legion has been taken over by Horizon, there will still be a Royal British Legion Branch operating from the premises. It is written into the lease that the RBL must still be able to function from the premises.

The club will become a private members club but all members will (at present) be required to join the Legion before they can join the club

The management of Horizon will have the current membership beleive that they have the interests of the Legion at heart, however it will soon become apparent that this is not the case and the building will be stripped of all Legion memorabilia.

Horizon took over Shard End RBL a couple of years ago and changed the name to 'the Crown at Shard End', they then refurbnished the whole club (which needed doing) however any links to the RBL were hidden in a corner. They have since made it almost impossible for the branch to operate effectively. Further more they will change the demographic of the club, for examply Shard End is now no better than any other local 'boozer', and with the installation of pool tables it has only got worse.

Good Luck Kingstanding you will need it!

Back