• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingsland Road and Peckham Road Schools

T

teh

I am looking for anyone who went to school with David Hart or anyone who had any memories of the above schools in the 40's and early 50's.

My Dad is 70 years old this year and i am trying to put an album of memories together for him as a surprise.

David used to live on Esher Road with his parents Ada and Percy Hart and he had 7 siblings ?

Anyone with any memories or info would be great

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi teh:

You can now go on the Friends Reunited site free and look up people that you or your family knew in schools, streets, clubs, etc. I looked up Kingsland Primary School. and there are people listed on that school's site that would have attended the school when your Father did. The thing I don't like about the new system on Friends Reunited is that the system is set up to search for a specific name which is fine but if you want to check a specific year that someone attended to try and match up people, it's difficult. There are 543 members on the site for Kingsland Primary spread over 38 pages. The names and dates are listed together now as opposed to date groupings on the menu bar before.

Anyway, I assumed it would have been l943 onwards that your Dad attended the school and after 8 pages I found at least five names from that era, all men. I may have missed something re the date groupings in the new system...not sure. Anyway, it's worth a look and the names have links in most cases so you can send them an e-mail if you want to check to see if they remember your Dad. Good luck...it's a lovely idea to surprise him.

Jennyann, at the top of the list of school members on FR there's an up and down arrow which lets you sort them into five year batches 1948-1953, 1953-1958 for example, the names are listed in alphabetical order and you can change whether to sort by first name or surname. I agree though that it's not as convenient as before. E.

Ps. I went to Peckam Road seniors from 46 to 50 but the name David Hart doesn't ring any bells, ask him if he remembers 'bottlewasher' in the science lab. that was me, I spent my last year there helping Frank Payne the science master.

Last edited:
Hi Eric:

Thanks very much for the tip re the year groupings. I knew I must have missed something because with an update on the site that feature would have been included. However, I just couldn't find it at the time.

I certainly hope that David's son can find someone who attended the elementary school Kingsland and even Peckham. You were a good boy to be doing the bottle washing in the Science Lab, Eric. Hope the teacher appreciated your help.

I wasn't actually bottle washing jennyann, Frank Payne the science teacher pulled me out of the line when he wanted someone as a lab assistant and as every new class came in he introduced me to them as his 'head cook and bottlewasher'.

The bottlewasher bit stuck and everywhere I went they called me by that. E.

Jennyann and Eric - Thank you both for your help - i will definetly go onto friends reunited

Hi Teh, I went to Kingsland road school 1948 - 1954 I cannot recall the name you mention, not surprising. My last teacher before I left was a Mr Enticknap, excuse me if its not spelt correctly, perhaps this may ring bells.
I had a friend around that time in Esher road, he was Victor Kirby, lived close to the corner with Cooksey Lane. hope this may be helpfull.

Goffy

Hi Teh, I went to Kingsland road school 1948 - 1954 I cannot recall the name you mention, not surprising. My last teacher before I left was a Mr Enticknap, excuse me if its not spelt correctly, perhaps this may ring bells.
I had a friend around that time in Esher road, he was Victor Kirby, lived close to the corner with Cooksey Lane. hope this may be helpfull.

Goffy
Hi Goffy,

Your spelling of Mr Enticknap is correct. He taught me at Kingsland Road and I stayed in touch with him when I went to George Dixon Grammar School as he sang in the choir at St Martins in the Bull Ring as I did as well. He was my mentor when I started to ride motorcycles as he was a keen rider all his life. He moved to North Yorkshire to be a headmaster at a school in York and lived in the small village of Marton Cum Grafton. When I had my own business I used to call in and see him when I was passing through that area and when I was either taking or bringing my daughter back from Newcastle University. He sadly died in 2012.

I lived in Esher Road almost opposite Victor Kirby when I was a child. When I last heard of Victor he had a Hotel in St Ives in Cornwall.

Brian B

Back