• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingsbury Rd, Erdington

zzf00l

master brummie
Hi All.

Does anyone have any 'old' pictures of Kingsbury Rd, Erdington? In particular the stretch of road between Rookery Park and Holly Lane.

All the best
Ian

Hi zzf00l,
Thanks for posting this picture, a couple of us have been searching high and low for a picture of the old house.
you wouldn't happen to have any more would you?

Brian

My Brother has some pictures... I've seen one of the house being knocked down as well, I'll speak to him and see what we can find. Incidentally, I am the little lad in the pic with my Mom and older Brother.

My Brother has some pictures... I've seen one of the house being knocked down as well, I'll speak to him and see what we can find. Incidentally, I am the little lad in the pic with my Mom and older Brother.

Thanks very much Ian, the house brings back lots of memories,
it was one of our favourite adventure playgrounds as youngsters.

Brian

I can see the photo now, couldn't see it earlier. What memories, I was beginning to believe that house was a figment of my imagination:rolleyes:

scan0001-1.jpg
This is the only other one he could put his hand on... but he will continue to look.

what lovely pics...:)thanks for posting them ian and what a shame that the house is no longer there.:(

lyn

Ian this is not my patch but i think i remember this house if it,s the one i am thinking of it was near the corner of Spring Lane am i in the right place.??Dek

As near as damn it... Copsons was on the corner, this was down a little and obviously set back. I can't recall whether the house was knocked down before the Mobil was built or afterwards. I remember that I bought my first pack of cheese and onion crisps from the Mobil Garage shop (Golden Wonder) and you often got a ball of cheese and onion flavour powder in the pack yuk! Prior to the Garage shop my nearest sweetie shop was Stones's in Church Road.

Just a thought that some of you from the surrounding area must surely remember the Burr family!!! There were 5 kid's... Alex & Barbara B1941 Roger & Marian B1946 and Myself Ian B1953... we all went to Birches Green school Alex and Roger then went to Moor End Lane school Barbara and Marian to Fentham school and I went to Paget Rd Sec Mod.

Wonderful to see that old house again. I had some happy hours playing in there.Thanks Ian

Last edited:
Incidentally.. I see that you have a Howell as a name of interest.. My Aunt Margaret Burr married a Joe Howell!

Update on the old house... apparently at some point it was owned by the Darlington family who's wood yard/factory was behind it. So it was known as 'Darlingtons'. The family gravestones can be found in Erdington Parish Church. The woodyard burned down and great sheets of burning plywood floated over Erdington. At some later point the house also sucumbed to fire and became the start of it's decline.

i lived on Birches Green estate 1985-1995 and one of my best friends name is Jennings, lived on Bromford Crescent does that help?

Another photo in Kingsbury Rd... this time from the rear of No. 441 facing toward holly Lane. Don't bother with the people in the pic.. the interesting part is you can see the farm buildings... the barn and hayricks and in the distance the farmhouse. The farmhouse 'entrance' is in what is now Birches Green Road. This pic is c1926 and is the only one I have seen of the farm buildings. According to my Father (sitting on grass) there was a pond just by the barn. I cannot for the life of me remember who the farm belonged to, but I remember Father telling me that as a young boy the farmer would sit him on the shire horse and the horse would find his own way to the Smithy in Spring Lane.

https://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/zzf00l/19-03-2012065913.jpg

What a fantastic photo. I suppose Birches Green School is where the Farm was?
Thanks for posting it :encouragement:

No mate.. if you were the photographer of that picture the school would be on your right.. the farm buildings in the distance are what is now the junction of Birches Green Rd and Kingsbury Rd. No. 441 is approx midway between Firtree Rd and Birches Green Rd :)

Back