• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

kingsbury hall,kingsbury road/wheelwright road

patsycat

Hi!Does anyone have any info on Kingsbury Hall please?My husband and I had our wedding reception there ,back in June 1978.I lived with my family at the time in Shepherds Green Road just down the road ,and after the wedding ceremony at Aston parish church,we travelled in luxury in our hired mercedes to the reception.
We had use of the hall all the day and had provided food and drink for our guests,very much on a DIY basis as money was tight!Mother in law made our cake and I helped with the cold meat buffet ,whilst wearing curlers in my hair!.
I have always wondered about the building,especially as it no longer exists.
Such a shame when old buildings of character are demolished -progress they call it but I just think its sad!
Be lovely to read about its origins etc.

Is Kingsbury Hall, the house also known as Shepherds Green House? I lived in Kingsbury Road, and the house was then the community centre, which was where we used to vote. It is now a housing estate. I remember reading that it was once owned by the Rackham family, who owned the department store in Birmingham, and it was a popular spot for ghost hunting ,as the spirit of a servant girl was said to be seen looking out of the top windows of the house. The area was once known as Shepherds Green, after Thomas Shepherd, who is recorded as living there in 1564.

What road was Kingsbury Hall in? I've lived in Erdington all my life and I've never heard of it, but there again, I've lived a sheltered life:rolleyes:

I am sure patsycat is referring to the old community centre on Kingsbury Road, near to the Wheelwright Road junction. Its gates still stand as does the driveway, but the Victorian gothic mansion, which was called Shepherd's Green House has been demolished and now has a housing estate on it. I remember the council used to hold the bonfire in the garden of the house on Bonfire Night. The back garden backed onto Shepherds Green Road.

Back