• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kings Norton Workhouse 1907 Walter Laing

M

mashman2008

I am trying to find out why my great, great Grandfather Walter William Laing born 1844 was in the workhouse. He moved to Kings Norton in 1891 Cencus with wife and 3 sons. Hi wife died in 1893/1894 and his 3 sons Walter Bernard, William Beverly and Herbert Alexander are not in 1901 Cencus. Walter William is shown in 1901 Cencus in the workhouse and died there in 1907. Does any one have any information about this family and was tere a scandal

Hello

Do you have the daughter Mabel Laing who was age 7 on the 1891 census?

1901 Rg13/2807 folio 153 page 58 Kings Norton Moseley Worcestershire

110& 108 Alcester Street

Cotterill and family Grocer shopkeeper

Mabel K Laing age 17 servant born Worcester

You are correct I have tried all spellings for them 1901:rolleyes:
will look again.

Pam

??
Herbert Alexander Laing married June quarter 1905 Aston Warwickshire

6d 636

Jessie Oliver or Minnie Foster

Also??
William B Laing marriage Kings Norton Staffordshire/Warwickshire/Worcestershire Dec quarter 1911 62 972

Emily Edgerton or Ellen A Griffiths

Mabel Kathleen Laing married dec quarter 1907 Solihull Warwickshire/West Midlands/Worcestershire 6d 1139

Frank Hinds or Walter Waters

Could they have been in the army?? If they are the correct marriages it will tell occupations.

My great grandmothers brother Algernon Hemming is in the same workhouse as Walter William he was deaf. He was one of many and the youngest.

Regards Pam

Back