• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kings Norton Grammar School

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
From British History Online about the school’s:

“KING'S NORTON BOYS' COUNTY GRAMMAR SCHOOL, Northfield Road; King's Norton Girls'County Grammar School, Selly Oak Road. King's Norton Council Secondary Schs. built by Worcs. C.C. in Northfield Road and opened 1911 by Birm. C.B.C. Accom. 400 B, G. Overcrowded by 1920. New G sch. opened in Selly Oak Road 1927, accom. 500, and old building used for B only. G sch. enlarged 1949, B sch. 1954. N.o.b. 1914: 202 B (63 free), 200 G (69 free); 1935: 532 B, 579 G; 1961: 763 B, 745 G. In 1937 G sch. said to have doubled nos. in last ten years. In 1930s 95 per cent. pupils came from elementary schs. Fees £4 a term at first, £12 by 1938; 76 per cent. B had free places in 1931, 65 per cent. G in 1937. Average leaving age of B just under 16 in 1937: in 1938 H.M.I. said that sch. was prevented from developing fully by tendency towards early leaving. Average leaving age of G: 16 in 1937, 16–17 in 1953 (ex inf. M. of Ed.)”

Kings Norton Girls compete in BBC’s “ Top of the Form”. Remember that ? Viv.

Attachments

• ACB7FE11-3682-4654-96E7-5E757EDB2C57.jpeg
    ACB7FE11-3682-4654-96E7-5E757EDB2C57.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 21
From British History Online about the school’s:

“KING'S NORTON BOYS' COUNTY GRAMMAR SCHOOL, Northfield Road; King's Norton Girls'County Grammar School, Selly Oak Road. King's Norton Council Secondary Schs. built by Worcs. C.C. in Northfield Road and opened 1911 by Birm. C.B.C. Accom. 400 B, G. Overcrowded by 1920. New G sch. opened in Selly Oak Road 1927, accom. 500, and old building used for B only. G sch. enlarged 1949, B sch. 1954. N.o.b. 1914: 202 B (63 free), 200 G (69 free); 1935: 532 B, 579 G; 1961: 763 B, 745 G. In 1937 G sch. said to have doubled nos. in last ten years. In 1930s 95 per cent. pupils came from elementary schs. Fees £4 a term at first, £12 by 1938; 76 per cent. B had free places in 1931, 65 per cent. G in 1937. Average leaving age of B just under 16 in 1937: in 1938 H.M.I. said that sch. was prevented from developing fully by tendency towards early leaving. Average leaving age of G: 16 in 1937, 16–17 in 1953 (ex inf. M. of Ed.)”

Kings Norton Girls compete in BBC’s “ Top of the Form”. Remember that ? Viv.

I remember Top of the Form the final, and deciding, question was to name a piece of music. My sister Mary answered correctly "Dvorak's New World Symphony".

I attended the boys school from 1958 to 1966

Welcome Moris. So that was your sister in the team photo. Lovely ! And well done for her winning answer. Enjoy the forum. Viv.

Hallo my grandfather was a headmaster at the above school in the late 20's and the 30's, I believe. His name was S. Towers, sorry I don't know what the S stood for. Can anyone direct me to where I can find out more about his school life there, or generally. He lived on the Cotteridge and died in the 50s. Thanks.

Can't help with the school history but his name might possibly have been William Stokes Towers, born 1882 in Sutton In Ashfield, Nottinghamshire.

There is a death registered for him in Bham 1954 and in 1911 he is living in Walsall and is listed as a School Teacher for Birmingham Council. He was a boarder of Hannah Hubard and he married her daughter Clara Amelia later that year.

Living at 70 Watford Road, Bham in 1939.

Can't help with the school history but his name might possibly have been William Stokes Towers, born 1882 in Sutton In Ashfield, Nottinghamshire.

There is a death registered for him in Bham 1954 and in 1911 he is living in Walsall and is listed as a School Teacher for Birmingham Council. He was a boarder of Hannah Hubard and he married her daughter Clara Amelia later that year.

Living at 70 Watford Road, Bham in 1939.
Haloo
Thanks for speedy reply and for the very helpful info. Yes, I do now remember that he was called William Stokes. Clara Amelia (known as Kitty) was my paternal grandmother. She was one of 9 children (3 boys, 6 girls) and I have a framed photo of all 9 and their mother (Hannah, whose name I didn't know, so thank you) in my hallway. I remember going to 70 Watford Rd when I was about 8. I skidded on some fallen apples at the bottom of the garden and split my knee open. It was fixed up in the scullery!! Wow all this is so nostalgic, i much appreciate your info. I'm new to geneology and am finding this so useful. I did phone up Selly Oak Crem and found out last year where my grandparents ashes were scattered there, but alas when I went to the spot there was no marker at all. I do feel as though I'm on track to find out much more about them, so thanks again for firing my enthusiasm.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Good luck with your searching, it can be good fun if frustrating.

A couple of other snippets...

Hannah was Hannah Dexter, the daughter of, the interestingly named, Bradbury John Dexter and Charlotte Mary Cooper.

And William Towers (and his brother John) was in Walsall in 1901, listed as an Assistant School Master, living with his uncle, Henry Truelove who was a School Master.

He must have moved to Watford Road on his marriage as he is listed on the 1912 e roll at that address and is listed as dying there in 1954.

Good luck with your searching, it can be good fun if frustrating.

A couple of other snippets...

Hannah was Hannah Dexter, the daughter of, the interestingly named, Bradbury John Dexter and Charlotte Mary Cooper.

And William Towers (and his brother John) was in Walsall in 1901, listed as an Assistant School Master, living with his uncle, Henry Truelove who was a School Master.
Thanks for additional info. Truelove is a name I have heard before in family folklore! Didn't know about the Dexter / Cooper connection, so thanks again.

Kings Norton Boys and the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. Source: British Newspaper Archive. Viv.

C7169062-5A27-4D49-ABB8-4A335856B07B.jpeg

Attachments

• 6BDEA951-D802-464A-B3AE-1AE235ED4E4B.jpeg
    6BDEA951-D802-464A-B3AE-1AE235ED4E4B.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 7
Sorting out some old photos from my late father's stuff, I came across this one of the Masters of KNGS 1947. My father was a pupil at the school and, very helpfully, he has annotated the back with the names of most of the masters.

Whilst it means nothing to me, I do hope it brings back memories for someone!

Attachments

• KNGS 1.jpg
    KNGS 1.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 26
  • KNGS 2.jpg
    KNGS 2.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 26
Sorting out some old photos from my late father's stuff, I came across this one of the Masters of KNGS 1947. My father was a pupil at the school and, very helpfully, he has annotated the back with the names of most of the masters.

Whilst it means nothing to me, I do hope it brings back memories for someone!
What a wonderful photograph. I recognize so many of the faces from when I attended KNGS from 1964-69. Sad to think that they have all passed on. My schooldays at KNGS were the best of my life

Back