• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kings Heath

I think there were several Carnegie libraries. Must have been established by a Mr Carnegie perhaps ? Must look it up. Viv.

I too used the Kings Heath Library throughtout the 1950s - mainly for sheet music or local history. I wasn't aware that it was one of Carnegie's libraries, but in those days it was just a source of getting what I wanted and it always looked like a converted bank to me!

Maurice :cool:

I wondered about it being listed: it is.

I was a proud member of that library in the early 50s. I never knew it was called The Carnegie Library though. I don't remember that building to the right, would it have been railway connected I wonder ?
I think the building to the right was until recently Kings Heath police station. Fairly sure it is the same building.

Does anyone remember this building being a Tesco on the Alcester Road South in Kings Heath. This view from the no 50 bus stop. It's diagonally opposite of Sainsbury's.

Now Sports Direct Fitness (was LA Fitness).

A new Diamond bus on the 50 seen passing by.

Just looking at some older posts about Kings Heath and asked my wife about this one. Irene says that there has never been a TESCO in Kings Heath but there was one in Moseley Village. She thinks this building was a FineFare supermarket.

Yes, Viv, but not early 60s. I remember Sydney Brown & Wimbushes, but not the new shops on the right, and I left in January 1961.

Maurice :cool:

Certain MidlandRed didn't pick up passengers within the boundary so no-one to shelter?
Well, there is a Midland Red bus stop just before the BCT shelter. Passengers for Wythall and beyond to Alcester and Evesham needed to board their buses.
I could catch an Inner Circle 8 from Ladywood, to Stratford Road, Sparkbrook and then catch any Stratford Road Midland Red service that went through Shirley to my home area.
The Midland Red bus stop is to the right of bus JOJ 203.
1595768412704.png

Well, there is a Midland Red bus stop just before the BCT shelter. Passengers for Wythall and beyond to Alcester and Evesham needed to board their buses.
I could catch an Inner Circle 8 from Ladywood, to Stratford Road, Sparkbrook and then catch any Stratford Road Midland Red service that went through Shirley to my home area.
The Midland Red bus stop is to the right of bus JOJ 203.
View attachment 147012

Don'tknow about Birmingham but in similar situation in Liverpool, you could use the Ribble buses but a minimum fare - enough to put any scousers off! Was it the same on Midland Red? Before my time in Brum.

Back