• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kings Heath

Does anyone remember this building being a Tesco on the Alcester Road South in Kings Heath. This view from the no 50 bus stop. It's diagonally opposite of Sainsbury's.

Now Sports Direct Fitness (was LA Fitness).

A new Diamond bus on the 50 seen passing by.

Watching the box last night, an ad came on with a girl wearing glasses saying something in rhyme. Noticing her mild brummy accent I wondered where the ad was made. In the background I could see a shop with the sign "Turkish Blade" on its front.
A quick google search revealed that it was a Turkish hairdresser and it's on Alcester Rd South, B14. In fact the the location is Alcester Lanes End.
I wonder why they picked The Nob as the location for filming ?
(Don't know what the hell they were advertising though !).

I went to Wheelers Lane boys school, leaving in 1952,used to ride a carrier bike most evenings and all day Saturday for a grocery shop named Sweetings on the corner of Highbury Rd. and Grange Rd.for 12/6 a week if I remember correctly. now live in Somerset.
I lived right by sweetings grange rd ,till the seventies and remember the Sweetings Bert and his 2 sisters ,used to be fascinated by Bert cutting up the bacon , and cutting the Danish butter .Opposite was Dales another grocery shop ,and further on Ayres the butchers, along with other handy shops , you could get most of what you needed without leaving the road !

Another photograph of the High Street. Don't think it's on the Forum already. My apols if it is.

Hare & Hounds on the LHS.

Attachments

• high street 08.JPG
    high street 08.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 40
This is Poplar Road just off the High Street in Kings Heath. Not sure of date . Many of the buildings still remain having escaped the Kings Heath Bypass blight!

Attachments

• poplar road 01.jpg
    poplar road 01.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 45
I think there were several Carnegie libraries. Must have been established by a Mr Carnegie perhaps ? Must look it up. Viv.

I too used the Kings Heath Library throughtout the 1950s - mainly for sheet music or local history. I wasn't aware that it was one of Carnegie's libraries, but in those days it was just a source of getting what I wanted and it always looked like a converted bank to me!

Maurice :cool:

I wondered about it being listed: it is.

I was a proud member of that library in the early 50s. I never knew it was called The Carnegie Library though. I don't remember that building to the right, would it have been railway connected I wonder ?
I think the building to the right was until recently Kings Heath police station. Fairly sure it is the same building.

Does anyone remember this building being a Tesco on the Alcester Road South in Kings Heath. This view from the no 50 bus stop. It's diagonally opposite of Sainsbury's.

Now Sports Direct Fitness (was LA Fitness).

A new Diamond bus on the 50 seen passing by.

Just looking at some older posts about Kings Heath and asked my wife about this one. Irene says that there has never been a TESCO in Kings Heath but there was one in Moseley Village. She thinks this building was a FineFare supermarket.

Back