• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kings Heath station

jwp

knowlegable brummie
The picture of the rail station brought back memories. My dad was a lorry driver for Eaves on the left in the 40s and early 50s until they closed. The coal yard on the right changed to Lanes, I used to go to school with Donald Lane the owner's son.

mm.jpeg
This is/was the frontage to Kings Heath Railway Station.1962.

The image mentioned in post #1 is no longer public, but this might be the image referred to. It’s dated 1960s, although th3 vehicles look older to me. Viv.

AC2F17CC-0176-443A-9169-C031B622A1F2.jpeg

Viv

I think you got the right photo, but unfortunately it looks as if your has been cropped. The tag with the photo says 1962.

Kings Heath Station Approach 1962.jpg

That’s a great virpew Phil. Good to see the rest of the photo. And a more up to date car included too. Viv.

Kings Heath station itself a little time before it closed for passengers in 1941 and a second photo showing it just before it wa demolished after it was also closed for freight in the 1960's.

Kings Heath Railway Station.jpg

Kings Heath Railway Station prior to Demolition .jpg

Edit. Please note it has since been established that the image below is not of Kings Heath Station, but more likely to be of Kings Norton Station.

A 1957 image of young trainspotters on the platform. Viv.

054B1B68-918B-4423-A06D-60D1C0E1C3D1.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't think posts #6 & #7 are of the same Station. Look at the chimneys, the fret work on the gable ends, and the windows.

#7 was from a book - don’t know which book - with this caption. But it certainly doesn’t look like the station buildings in other photos. Viv.

Attachments

• 2D44688C-E04D-4CD9-B82B-78E07B8B5C95.jpeg
    2D44688C-E04D-4CD9-B82B-78E07B8B5C95.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 9
Is it actually Moseley Station ? Chimneys and gables look the same. If so shall move the image to Moseley Station thread. Only thing is I can’t see any of the built up embankment behind the building on image #7. Viv.

Attachments

• AA8BC473-96BB-433A-9593-6CFD7A2B2C9C.jpeg
    AA8BC473-96BB-433A-9593-6CFD7A2B2C9C.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 12
Viv

It's possible that it's neither, as both stations were closed in 1941 and the children don't look to be from that era. They look to be from the late 50's early 60's to me, and after 1941 they would have no legal access to the station if it was closed to passengers.

Viv

I think your photo is of Kings Norton Station which is still open today, this probably explains why the children were allowed on the platform.

KingsNorton2.jpeg

Looks pretty conclusive to me Phil. Thanks. Shall move the posts to a more relevant thread. Although I shall leave the image with an explanation in case it crops up again. Viv.

Viv

Unless you want to start a thread on Kings Norton station i can't see it doing any harm here.

Back