• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kings Heath in the 60s

Looks like Terry's video here he wrote:
Silent 8mm home movie, filmed circa 1960 in King's Heath, Birmingham. This is an improved copy of my original upload under the same title which has unaccountably disappeared from YouTube

Looks like Terry's video here he wrote:
Silent 8mm home movie, filmed circa 1960 in King's Heath, Birmingham. This is an improved copy of my original upload under the same title which has unaccountably disappeared from YouTube

Fabulous post, thank you! Lovely to see Fr Jim Eckersley, vicar of All Saints; it was he who welcomed me to the church in '59 as a result of which, many years later, I found my vocation and was ordained.

Fabulous post, thank you! Lovely to see Fr Jim Eckersley, vicar of All Saints; it was he who welcomed me to the church in '59 as a result of which, many years later, I found my vocation and was ordained.
Thanks for viewing! As well as Fr James Holland Eckersley, I hope you were able to spot Fr Cedric Henry Robinson (looking a little like Bing Crosby!) and Fr Raymond Hayne.

• Appreciate
Reactions: DPD
Thanks for viewing! As well as Fr James Holland Eckersley, I hope you were able to spot Fr Cedric Henry Robinson (looking a little like Bing Crosby!) and Fr Raymond Hayne.
Yes, Fr Robinson, he prepared me for confirmation in 1960; he was a very special man. Not physically a big man but could more than handle himself. He was a para in WW2 and one day two big fellas were having a scrap outside church. He went outside and 'sorted' them out. He retired to Worcester Diocese, I think living in Malvern, where very many retired clergy spend their final days. I never met him in the period of his retirement (I live and serve in Worcester, but recall his name in the Diocesan Directory). Fr Raymond I think moved to the Chapel Royal at Windsor on completion of his curacy. I can still hear the prayers being intoned ... 'And we pray for our curate, Fr Raymond ...' Fr Eckersley was special to me in how he welcomed this short-trousered lad in the summer holiday just before I was about to go to GD. He had a very hard act to follow: Bishop Michael Parker, also then Bishop of Aston, who was a very sweet soul, but Fr Jim wearing workingman's boots and with a Cumbrian accent didn't fit with the idea that All Saints had of itself and stayed just three years before the great and still spoken of Fr Robert May came. Blessings, Peter Davies.

Yes, Fr Robinson, he prepared me for confirmation in 1960; he was a very special man. Not physically a big man but could more than handle himself. He was a para in WW2 and one day two big fellas were having a scrap outside church. He went outside and 'sorted' them out. He retired to Worcester Diocese, I think living in Malvern, where very many retired clergy spend their final days. I never met him in the period of his retirement (I live and serve in Worcester, but recall his name in the Diocesan Directory). Fr Raymond I think moved to the Chapel Royal at Windsor on completion of his curacy. I can still hear the prayers being intoned ... 'And we pray for our curate, Fr Raymond ...' Fr Eckersley was special to me in how he welcomed this short-trousered lad in the summer holiday just before I was about to go to GD. He had a very hard act to follow: Bishop Michael Parker, also then Bishop of Aston, who was a very sweet soul, but Fr Jim wearing workingman's boots and with a Cumbrian accent didn't fit with the idea that All Saints had of itself and stayed just three years before the great and still spoken of Fr Robert May came. Blessings, Peter Davies.
What a lovely response - I'm so pleased you found the video. We must have been approximately contemporaries at All Saints - very clear memories of Father Michael who, as you rightly say, was a hard act to follow! My Dad & Mum were Bert & Sybil Pearson - one of my oldest and best friends (now living in the USA) is the Reverend Professor Lindon Eaves (married to Susan, also a Reverend) - do you remember any of those names?

Last edited:
Hi Terry

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Hi Terry

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.
Thanks, Morturn for that very sound advice. I have now removed my e-mail address from that posting as Peter has now been in touch with me directly. Thanks again for taking the time to send that comment which is much appreciated.

Back