• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kings Heath High School

I was there ‘75 to ‘81. Mr Taylor was still teaching sports, we’d go to Highbury Park, with his flat cap keeping his bald head warm. Mrs Larat also. Mrs Randall was the feared secretary, everyone was scared of being sent to see her! The building was a beautiful old Victorian pile with a ball room, marble fire places, lovely tiled floors and grand oak staircase. There was a huge oak sign board with gold leaf in the hall with all the names of the previous head boys and girls. We all knew about The Major, he was said to haunt the attic which was out of bounds! (Kids imagination). Other teachers Mrs Wharton (music) Mrs Box and Mrs Cole (nursery), Mrs Guy (head teacher) was fantastic, I still think of her and some of the fun things she did. There was a May Pole in the lawn which would be danced around at the summer fete. The owner at the time was a local builder / developer who eventually demolished the building and built flats, a travesty as the building really was a gem.
Steve Wilkes
Any pics of the building or any memory of Mrs Gray?

I was there 59-65 and my sister Caroline was there 63-71 (she started in nursery when 3). Teachers were Miss Etherington, Mrs Randall, Mrs Larat, Mrs Plant and the wonderful Mrs Smith. Remember climbing sides of boys’ toilets to look over, sports days on the lawn, being allowed into the garden’ on hot days, Major Dean Davis carrying out a public caning, being called the pyjama kids by kids from other schools, Miss Plant standing on wall that divided playgrounds and having to try to touch beanbag she was holding, Singing Together, eating lunch at our desks....and so much more
I was there at the same time as your sister. Caroline and my sister, Michelle Swingler were friends and we came to your family home many times. I also remember sports days on the lawn, being able to join playgrounds with the boys on last day of term and playing kiss chase 'round the gardens'!

I was there from 1967 to 1973. My sister who is four years older than me also attended the school. The uniform of the day was yellow and brown - the girls always wore a boater in the Summer, whilst we always wore our caps.

I remember the 'Major' - but my teachers included Mrs Randall and Mrs Larat (who at my time taught French). I also remember standing in line to buy sweets from the 'tuck-shop' and the Major, who by then was either confined to a wheelchair or always sat in a wheelchair took your pennies ...

Are there any other contributors from my time there ? I have an old school photo from my last year, when the whole school stood on the lawn, teachers in the middle, very young children at the front and the rest of us on chairs or stools at the back.

I moved from there to King Edwards Foundation School in Edgbaston at the age of eleven.
I think I was in your class! My name was Suzanne Swingler and was friends with Beverley Dunn and Debbie Locke!

Back