• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kings Arms Sherlock Street

Tinpot

master brummie
I am trying to find information about a pub/alehouse called the Kings Arms on Sherlock st. I believe my great grandfather John Cartwright was the landlord sometime between 1860 and 1880. The address may have been 171 or 246 Sherlock st.

The Kings Arms were at no. 171 in directories up till 1880 edition, but street was renumbered between then and 1882 and Kings Arms then became no 246. John Cartwright is listed there in the 1867- 1884 editions, but not in the 1862 or 1888 editions. (It should be remembered that the date of directories is publication date and probably refers to years before). The position of the pub is shown on the map below in red. It remained until the late 1960s. I do not seem to have a photo of it, but some others may have one.

map c1889 showing Kings Arms sherlock st.jpg

The Kings Arms were at no. 171 in directories up till 1880 edition, but street was renumbered between then and 1882 and Kings Arms then became no 246. John Cartwright is listed there in the 1867- 1884 editions, but not in the 1862 or 1888 editions. (It should be remembered that the date of directories is publication date and probably refers to years before). The position of the pub is shown on the map below in red. It remained until the late 1960s. I do not seem to have a photo of it, but some others may have one.

View attachment 153054

Many thanks Mikejee. The numbering did confuse me. I have seen reference to The Kings Arms in that area but as it is on a corner site it might have been addressed as Benacre St?

Both sides of my father's family lived in Sherlock St. John's daughter Mary b 15/8/1882 and Harry Lewis b 21/11/1879 lived at 34 Sherlock St when my father was born.

The pub might have been talked about as being in Benacre St, , which it was, but its correct address has always been in Sherlock st

View attachment 153054

King's Arms Sherlock street
birmingham_b5_kingsarms.jpg

Thanks Mikejee. Back to the drawing board! Tinpot
Much to my surprise I have managed to find source again. White,Francis & Co 1849 History and General Directory etc.. Also on second look I have spotted William Cartwright maltster, Summer Lane; house, Lozells. Tinpot

Back