• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King, sisters Harriet and Mary

RobertS

master brummie
Hello Folks

I'm looking for decendents of Lillian King who was registered as Lillian Sheldon at her birth on 17 Nov 1886 22 Spash Street, Aston. Either Harriet or Mary had Lillian by Walter James Sheldon and Mary later went on to be 'Mrs Sheldon'. Certificates tell us Harriet was the mother but see 1911 census below!

The King sisters, Mary and Harriet were daughters of James b1820 (Brass Caster Deritend) and Mary Louisa King. Harriet was variously a Teacher of Music, Friendly Society Visitor, and a Ladies Dresser.

In the 1911 census Harriet is at 42 Clarence Road Handsworth with her sister Mary and the father of her child Walter James who is working as a Brass Finisher (in the trade of her father) .

Her sister Mary King describes herself as Mary Sheldon Wife aged 44 and a Housekeeper, married for 25 years. Harriet is in the household as Sister in Law, single, aged 40 and a Ladies Dresser. Lilian is with them described as a daughter aged 24 and a Milliner.

After this I have been unable to pin her down

Thanks

Hi RobertS

1912 Walter James Sheldon
1920 Mary Sheldon & Arthur Walford & Rose Walford
1925 Mary Sheldon
1930 Mary Sheldon and Lilian Nickless and Walter William Nickless.
1935 As above
1939 Lilian and Walter Nickless
1945 As above
1950 Lilian and Walter Nickless and Lilian M Nickless
All at 42 Clarence Road.

Marriage for Lilian Sheldon to Walter William Nickless
1925 West Brom AMJ quarter ref 6b 1670
Possible Birth for Lilian M Nickless
1928 West Brom 6b 1220

Hope this helps

Suzanne

Hello Stmr

Many thanks for the reply. What exactly have we got here? Am I correct in thinking these are directory entries for the same address 1912 to 1950?

If they are, its amazing information. Can follow up on the birth and marriage.

Are any of those mentioned relatives?

Thanks again (rushing while you are still on line!)

Hi

Yes they are all entries for 42 Clarence Rd from Bham electoral lists.
Marriage and birth details are from Ancestry.

Suzanne:)

Hi RobertS

A very long shot, but worth a try. Do you know where Mary King was born?

Reason for asking: the family understand granddad King who was born in Pencoyd/Ross had a job waiting for him (1916/7) in B’ham. Thus the thought is was there a King relation, perhaps from way further back in the King ancestry who came to B'ham before him and helped him secure that job and perhaps provided lodgings? We have a rough guide to King ancestry living Ross way from circa 1823 at the moment.

Ray

Hello Forward

I have not traced the Kings back. I know the parents of Harriet, Agnes and Mary were James b Deritend 1820 (Brass Caster Deritend) and Mary Louisa born 1820 Worcester. In addition to the girls above they had Maria b 1845, Horatio Philip b1847 and George Augustine b1851. All the children were born in what we would now call Balsall Heath (Kings Norton until 1912)

As you have probably guessed my line collides with Mary and Harriet and thats why I was looking for decendents.

I have been unable to pin down the birth of James and will have to go for the wedding cert (Dec Q 1840 Kings Norton) to get the father's names and possibly some clue to their origins; so sorry I can't answer your question. If I get the cert I will send you a copy just in case. (Think your idea is plausable so it may help.) The only other one of the children I further info on until today was Horatio Philip who married Sarah Clarke b1849 Aston in 1868 in Aston. They had 4 King children I can find Horatio, James, Florence and Marion.

Sorry not better news but working on it.

Hello RobertS

Thank you for the information. Even if it what turns out to be no connection it stil helps as it's a path I can discount.

Ray

Back