• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King`s Rise School Peckham Road

Was a pupil at the Boys school from Sept 57 to July 61. I recognise some of the teachers names from Roger Boulton's Xmas 54 list. Small correction Askey was Douglas Haskey. Peter Herman appeared as the French teacher during my time, he went the great Barr Comp and reached the final of the BBC Brain of Brittan competition.

Managed to make contact with some of my class mates through Friends Reunited (if anyone can remember that medium) and had a catch up with their stories. While I was there a Mr Bloxham (deputy head since the school opened) left for promotion and he mentioned in his leaving speech the school have won every sporting trophy except the Docker Shield which was the senior cricket trophy. The school had its problems with discipline but that equipped me well for the rough and tumble of adult life.
I was in the other end of the building of Kings Rise the girls part.
September 1958 to December 1962.
15 in the October working January 1963 or it may have been the end of December 1962. No long Christmas breaks then .
I used to go home for my lunch lived in Cranbourne Road.
Looking back I often don’t recognise myself at that age, so naive, and frightened of my own shadow. I survived working at such a young age, but like you somehow we were equipped for the rough, and tumble of life.
I actually think in the boys, and girls that attended in that era there was a lot of potential. The system in some respects of the secondary modern schools did not even tap into that potential.
I often wonder what become of the girls I was at school with regarding how their lives worked out, and if any realised their dreams.

Back